ASRock Z77 Extreme4 or MSI Z77A-G43?

Objekt

Limp Gawd
I need a new motherboard for a system I built in mid-May. It originally used a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H, and I'd like something close in features and price. So far the leading contenders are the ASRock Z77 Extreme4, and the MSI Z77A-G43.

The reason I'm getting a new motherboard is that the Gigabyte board has never worked. It has already been RMA'd once, and is going in for a second one as soon as I get the prepaid shipping label. At this point I am totally disgusted with Gigabyte's product and have no confidence in the brand, which is why I'm shopping for a new motherboard.

All the hardware I'll be using with the new motherboard (not including the Gigabyte motherboard of course) is listed in my signature. Feel free to suggest a board I haven't considered, but note I need at least one PCI slot for the SoundBlaster card (some microATX boards lack any PCI slots).

My main concern is reliability. I'm sick and tired of troubleshooting hardware and dealing with RMA processes. I don't plan to overclock; I would be extremely happy if everything simply worked at stock settings.

So, what do you think?

I ordered the ASRock Z77 Extreme4. It should be here tomorrow, and I'll post how it goes when I get the system back together.

Still no word from Gigabyte about doing a second RMA on the bad GA-Z77-DS3H, but I haven't checked my email since this morning.

update:
Nope, no word from Gigabyte today. I used the case number they provided in response to my one-egg review at Newegg.com, so I'm wondering if I need to request a regular RMA also.

Last edited:
Back