ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac

Just got this MB and got build done.

I have one slight problem.

build:
i7-6700k
win10 x64 pro

Everything works beautifully except!...........

the samsung drive max speed is only 10gb/s--->should be more like 25gb/s

More details:

Bios is updated and samsung drive is plugged into m.2 ultra under the m/b
bios updated to latest version 2.00
WIN10 latest intel ME install from intel website

I see an option in the UEFI to alter the link speed of the mini pcie1 slot but not the m.2 ultra slot.
The 10gb/s that i am getting is likely gen2 x2 speeds that its falling back to .

The INTEL ME version in the bios 2.00 update is not the latest thats on intel website and what i installed via WIN10.
I dont know of a way to update the bios version without the manufacturer updating bios firmware.

I think this may be the problem. I could test this theory by pulling the m.2 drive and putting it in the mini pcie1 slot on the top of the MB and removing the wifi module in that slot. However, that would require me to completely disassemble the build and start over. Not really looking forward to that.

I am guessing this is a bug or perhaps i over looked something fundamental.

Thoughts?

CyberShot I'm planning on a similar build; ncase M1, ASRock Fatal1ty z170 GamingITX, DarkRock TF cooler. Can you tell me what specific RAM you're using? It looks like Kingston HyperX Savage (which seems to be 34.5mm high)???
I'm hoping I can use the GSkill Ripjaws V (http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-32gvr), but it's 42mm high. Obviously I need the clearance so the RAM doesn't hit the Darkrock cooler, so I may need to buy the Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM instead (it's seemingly 34mm high, but I can't quite confirm that).

I was also looking at adding thermal pad to the Samsung950 Pro M.2 drive between the drive memory ICs and the side of the case (as per this page Samsung 950 Pro Review: Thermal Throttling Solved!). It would basically make the whole side of the case a heatsink for the M.2 SSD. Do you know how much clearance space (in mm) there is between them? I need to buy the right thickness of thermal pad.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running this board. I hooked up my monitor (XB270HU) to the onboard display port and get nothing. HDMI works fine. Am I missing something?

CyberShot I'm planning on a similar build; ncase M1, ASRock Fatal1ty z170 GamingITX, DarkRock TF cooler. Can you tell me what specific RAM you're using? It looks like Kingston HyperX Savage (which seems to be 34.5mm high)???
I'm hoping I can use the GSkill Ripjaws V (http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-32gvr), but it's 42mm high. Obviously I need the clearance so the RAM doesn't hit the Darkrock cooler, so I may need to buy the Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM instead (it's seemingly 34mm high, but I can't quite confirm that).

I was also looking at adding thermal pad to the Samsung950 Pro M.2 drive between the drive memory ICs and the side of the case (as per this page Samsung 950 Pro Review: Thermal Throttling Solved!). It would basically make the whole side of the case a heatsink for the M.2 SSD. Do you know how much clearance space (in mm) there is between them? I need to buy the right thickness of thermal pad.

Thanks!
Sorry for late answer but I use HyperX Fury memory.

I'm running this board. I hooked up my monitor (XB270HU) to the onboard display port and get nothing. HDMI works fine. Am I missing something?
I ran into a similar issue, Do you have a system speaker that you can plug in? I had one that came with my NCase M1 and i had got 3 long beeps indicating memory problem. I thought My Corsair sticks where bad but it turned out that i didnt pess the non clipped side in all the way. I felt like i was going to break the RAM lol

So I finally submitted to my incessant internal nagging and updated my setup with the following items:
  • Asrock fatal1ty z170 gaming itx ac
  • Intel i5 6500
  • 2x4GB Gskill DDR4 3200
  • Samsung PM951 1TB NVMe m.2 SSD
  • Cryorig C7
During the install I ran into a rather frustrating issue: due to the fact that the PM951 has chips on both sides of its PCB, when I installed it in the m.2 port on the back of the MoBo I found that it overlaid with a chip on the back of the MoBo (chip in question). This proved to be a bit concerning when I started to tighten the screw down on the drive and I could see the drives PCB bending...
In the end I tightened the screw to the point where the drives PCB began to deform, and sacrificed a goat to the PC gods in hopes that it won't die on me down the road. Not only could the deforming of the PCB/chips cause failure, but if either the drives chips or the poorly-placed MoBo chip decided to heat up they would end up using each other as heatsinks which could be bad...
Would be nice if someone from Asrock could acknowledge this issue and see about moving either the m.2 drive slot up 3-5mm or move the chip down 3.5mm for future productions (doubt it will happen though).
This because the SM951 is an OEM SSD and only compatible with double-sided m.2 slots. A double-sided M.2 slot would be too tall for the rear of a motherboard, so a single-sided slot is used instead. Consumer m.2 SSDs like the 950 Pro are single-sided for this reason (wider compatibility), which is also why the 950 Pro is not yet available as a 1TB model: it won;t be possible without NAND packages that are double the current capacity without having to add packages to the read side of the board.

I have a Plugable 7-port USB 3.0 hub with a Razer Tartarus, a UPS and a fingerprint reader connected to it. Whenever I have the USB 3.0 hub plugged into that ASMedia USB 3.1 controller (either the 3.1 A port or the type-C port) the PC won't shut down all the way. I have to hold the power button for it to turn off. The Razer Tartarus and the fingerprint reader won't work either. The Tartarus lights up and powers on, but none of the key presses work. The fingerprint reader powers on as well, but it doesn't work. The Windows Hello feature detects the fingerprint reader, but nothing happens when I swipe my finger to register a fingerprint.

When I unplug the USB 3.0 hub from either of the 3.1 ports and plug it into a 3.0 port, everything works fine.

Anyone having issues with the USB3.1 ports?

CyberShot I was also looking at adding thermal pad to the Samsung950 Pro M.2 drive between the drive memory ICs and the side of the case (as per this page Samsung 950 Pro Review: Thermal Throttling Solved!). It would basically make the whole side of the case a heatsink for the M.2 SSD. Do you know how much clearance space (in mm) there is between them? I need to buy the right thickness of thermal pad.

I'd recommend using a small bit of putty on the ICs and install the side panel. Then remove the side panel and measure the putty thickness to determine how thick of a thermal pad you need.

Has anyone tested will Noctua NH-D14 fit in this mb? And it's possible to use gpu?

Edit. Installed and fit fine.

Last edited:
Back