asrock fatal1ty 990fx or Asus crosshair v thunderbolt

Wascrash

Gawd
posted this in the motherboard forum but I guess no one reads it. So trying here.
Hey what board would you all go with? I like the power 12+2 on the Asrock board as well as the software bundle (see Asrock site). On the Asus MB I was going to get the thunderbolt version and was wondering if the sound and nic is really much of a difference from the onboard. I'm sick of realtek sound although it is very compatible. Any thoughts? Anyone here have the AsRock board. I know plenty have the Asus. Was also thinking the Asus sabertooth as an option.

i thought the asus CHV had the better VRM's.

regarding the thunderbolt card for CHV (with killer NIC), yeah seems people have a mixed opinion on those. on the standard CHV, the intel NIC should be more than enough, certainly better than the trashy realtek/marvel? NICs you find on most MB's. the onboard sound is decent tho if you're an audiophile, you'll get a proper deicated soundcard.

currently using a CHV with a 1100, no complaints. with MB's (with me at least), when i doubt, get a asus MB. i know some US members have had troubles with RMA's tho i think that's a local problem. as i live in oz, don't have the same issues.

Thanks for the input. Im leaning towards the Asus crosshair or sabertooth but cant get the Asrock out on my head. It has good reviews and power. BTW I will be putting the FX 8150 in it and overclock some. Ide think it will be a good upgrade from my [email protected] and it plays all my games fine now .Really just itchen to mess around with the bulldozer.

Thanks for the input. Im leaning towards the Asus crosshair or sabertooth but cant get the Asrock out on my head. It has good reviews and power. BTW I will be putting the FX 8150 in it and overclock some. Ide think it will be a good upgrade from my [email protected] and it plays all my games fine now .Really just itchen to mess around with the bulldozer.

your upgrade path is kinda similar to mine (old system in sig), came from a asus X38/q6600 @ 3.7. i did a fair bit of bench comparisons between my old x38/q6600 and my new asus CHV/1100T @ 4.2. found that single threaded was a little better tho in multi threaded (full load on 6 cores) the x6 killed my old intel CPU.

i was all ready to get a BD (that's why i bought the CHV) until i saw the reviews which is why i ended up with an X6 1100. based on that, i'd recommend an older thuban x6, probably pick up a x6 on the cheap (1075, 1090, 1100 or even a zosman 960 x4 and unlock it to a 6 core) instead. so i'd wait on either a new BD stepping or PD (rumoured to be on par with thuban for single thread but OC higher and with less power usage).

Think from what ive read the Asus has the 8+2 power design . Asrock is the only one with the 12+2. Was hoping it would help keep the 8150 more stable in a overclock with the large power draws. Yes the x6 is a nice chip but Im wanting the new fx chip to tinker with. So no one here has the Asrock board I guess? BTW what memory (speeds) or you all running on these am3+ boards.

Think from what ive read the Asus has the 8+2 power design . Asrock is the only one with the 12+2. Was hoping it would help keep the 8150 more stable in a overclock with the large power draws. Yes the x6 is a nice chip but Im wanting the new fx chip to tinker with. So no one here has the Asrock board I guess? BTW what memory (speeds) or you all running on these am3+ boards.

the Asrock is probably a decent MB, if you really have your eye on it. certainly pick one up. the CHV MB however seems to be the default MB's that do the big overclocks. on a side note, one of the reasons i picked up the CHV for myself was due to the intel NIC & the UEFI. another consideration is, if you watercool easier to pickup full chipset blocks (tho you could get universal blocks to fit the NB & VRMs for other FX990 MBs).

had 4 sticks (16GB) of g.skill DDR3 1600 before one stick went bad. replaced it with another 4 sticks of g.skill DDR3 1866. should be able to run higher spec RAM whether it at default multi's or OC'ed. personally can't be bothered OC'ing RAM tho the high spec stuff shows a nice improvement with OC'ed CPU/NB frequencies. memory above 1600 with CPU @ stock doesn't show any gains. this is all based on thuban/deneb cores. BD has and improved IMC and should show decent improvement with higher speed RAM. the FX chips were designed to run with DDR3 1866 RAM tho there isn't much difference between 1600 vs 1866. a BD with an OC'ed CPU/NB, should show better performance with RAM @ 1866 and above tho.

more phases does not equal better power design.
It is often better to look at what other people have achieved with the different MB models.

Thanks you two. So pay no attention to the power design because the Asus boards are proven to overclock well. Now I know what memory to go with also. I always liked to bump the chipset up a little with an overclock because it always seems to bench faster and so ill need the faster mem. I'll post what I get and how its going when its all running.Thanks

Last edited:
You may want to consider the Biostar mobo for like 130usd.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1764/13/

The CHV is a great mobo and the Intel NIC is a whore. I replaced it with a Rosewell NIC myself due to BSODs from the drivers. After I did that all problems vanished.

I get 17 down and 5.7 up with the Rosewell which is the same as I was getting with the Intel. Now I'm just missing the BSODs.

Back