ASRock B650E Taichi Lite or the "OG" ASRock B650E TAICHI

PilotKD

Limp Gawd
I think I've narrowed my MB decision to an ASRock Taichi B650E. Anyone running the Lite model yet? Not a huge aesthetics guy and not going to be staring into my case obsessing over not having a full board cosmetics. Anyone running the Lite yet?

They are identical except for the look (chipset heatsink, RGB). Save money and get the B650E Taichi Lite. Spend more on the B650E Taichi if you're into the RGB/looks.

I've had a few ASRock boards including a Taichi and they've been solid. Anything with the Taichi branding seems to be praised in user reviews. I've seen far more negativity surrounding Asus and Gigabyte in the recent past. I don't think you can go wrong! (Of course now that I say that, you'll get a lemon Taichi and have a nightmare RMA to report back :facepalm:)

I've had a few ASRock boards including a Taichi and they've been solid. Anything with the Taichi branding seems to be praised in user reviews. I've seen far more negativity surrounding Asus and Gigabyte in the recent past. I don't think you can go wrong! (Of course now that I say that, you'll get a lemon Taichi and have a nightmare RMA to report back :facepalm:)
I agree. I guess I should've mentioned this in my first post, but I've had the X370 Taichi (used in desktop, then later TrueNAS Core server 24/7 for years) and X470 Taichi Ultimate (desktop)- both boards were excellent. Asrock RMA was smooth- once I killed my X470 TU with a bad BIOS flash and they turned it around quick. At least if you get a bad board (which is unlikely these days tbh) you typically have 30 days to return/exchange to place of purchase rather than deal with the vendor.

I've been back and forth on upgrading to AM5 myself, and the B650E Taichi Lite was the board I was going to choose. I think ultimately I'm going to hold off another gen or two. The Newegg sale at $254.99 is pretty tempting though, but even at $279.99 it's a superb value. It checks all my boxes and more: POST code readout, great I/O with plenty of USB, onboard power/reset, respectable onboard audio, 3x NVME. The B650E Taichi Lite and B650E Taichi share the same PCB so you're getting the same build quality, just lacking on the RGB and more elaborate heatsink. I would have no qualms over buying either, but I personally feel the value proposition on the B650E Taichi Lite is more enticing.

I've had better luck with ASrock with my AM4 systems than my Asus or MSI motherboards. My X570 Taichi is probably my favorite mobo that i've ever owned, but it's also my only "premium" motherboard.

I'll just customarily note that there's not much reason for going for PCIE5.0X16 to begin with right now. So if you care about saving money, you could just go with B650 or B650M and be just fine from a performance standpoint for very likely the next 5-10+ years. If you like the aesthetics, extra I/O, etc, though, feel free. Most B650 boards include at least one 5.0 M2 SSD slot, so even from a storage performance standpoint, there's not much point.

Asrock RMA was smooth- once I killed my X470 TU with a bad BIOS flash and they turned it around quick.
Amazing customer service can turn me onto a company even if their "brand recognition" isn't perfect. I've had ASRock boards in the past with no issues in my primary rigs.

Just took advantage of Newegg's sale at $255 and ordered the Taichi Lite tonight. I went to Micro Center today as well and picked up a 7800x3D (on sale for $369), 64gig of Trident DDR5, and an EK Nucleus CR360 AIO, so my build is coming together. I've had an O11 Dynamic, Seasonic PSU, an RTX 4080, SSD's and fans sitting in a closet in my basement since last Spring before I put this project on the back burner. Hopefully I can get it up and running soon.

Back