asap budget build ideas old puter just fried.

Only thing I didn't order was the aftermarket cpu cooler.
I haven't used a stock one on last 3 builds. Should I just use it or should I still get one?
I don't really care how far the 212 sticks up and people have said on some boards and my case it would hit cover.
Any other reccomends for good but slightly smaller cooler?

If your home gets really hot during Spring and Summer, get a 3rd party HSF.
If you want lower noise, get a 3rd party HSF.
If your home stays cool and you don't care about noise, stick with the stock HSF.

I still recommend the Hyper 212 Evo. It'll barely fit inside the Source but it still fits. It's one of the best bang for the buck HSF out there hence my reluctance to recommend anything else.

How many fans do you run in that case and which direction? I have 4x 120mm 40cfm fans I got free with rebate a while back that I haven't used.
Are any versions of the 212 smaller than the other?

Took apart my old power supply tonight and it was cooked in 5 spots. Date of mfg was 2006 so I guess I got my moneys worth out of it. It ran 24-7-365 pretty much for 8 years. Had 41 power down cycles on bios a couple months ago when I put the new hd in and windows 7. Turned it off when out of the house for a couple days. Other than that it was always on. Didn't seem to have any issues until stupid windows 7 was putting computer into sleep mode after 30 min. Then a week later pop hiss smoke.

Thinking of getting another psu sometime if I see a smoking deal on one to try in old computer and or keep as a spare. How small is too small? I was thinking I should try find a 450watt gold for better efficiency and keep the antec 650w as spare once I get another.

How many fans do you run in that case and which direction? I have 4x 120mm 40cfm fans I got free with rebate a while back that I haven't used.
You only need four.

Wait, which Source 220 did you buy? There's two different versions:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146083
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146178

The first 220 linked only comes with two fans: One rear 120mm exhaust fan and one top 140mm exhaust fan. If that's the one you got and you don't want to deal with a cancel/return, all you need to do is add two 120mm fans to the front of the case as an intake and a 120mm fan on the side as an intake.

The second 220 linked comes with three fans: One rear 120mm exhaust fan and two front 120mm intake fans. If that's the one you got, then all you need to do is add a top 120mm as an exhaust to the space closest to the rear fan.

With either 220, don't put a fan in the top fan spot closest to the DVD drive as that'll disrupt the airflow of the system.

Are any versions of the 212 smaller than the other?
No. You're going to see the same issue with any vertical mounted HSF with a 120mm fan.
Thinking of getting another psu sometime if I see a smoking deal on one to try in old computer and or keep as a spare. How small is too small? I was thinking I should try find a 450watt gold for better efficiency and keep the antec 650w as spare once I get another.
What's the full specs of your old PC?

I got the first one. Guessing its silver inside vs black. Was initially going to get the second one but the price went up $10 so I ordered the first. I have seven 120mm fans including my old ones and two 80mm just need to put them where they'll do most good. One 80mm and one 120mm fan comes with fan controller.

Old system is q6600 go stepping cpu
Abit Ip35 pro mobo
Arctic cooling freezer pro 7 92mm (fan is getting rough and needs replacing.)
2x2gb crucial ballistix ddr2
Ecs 8800gts 512
Centurion 532 case
Samsung dvd burner
2x WD black 1tb hd
1Samsung 400gb hd
Psu was corsair HX520W

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the first one. Guessing its silver inside vs black. Was initially going to get the second one but the price went up $10 so I ordered the first. I have seven 120mm fans including my old ones and two 80mm just need to put them where they'll do most good. One 80mm and one 120mm fan comes with fan controller.
Well you only need five fans in that Source 220 case. Adding in the sixth fan to the case won't help. However, you could use one of the 120mm fans as a second fan on the Hyper 212 Evo. That way you'll have a push-pull config that should help lower temps even more.

However, rather than a second HSF fan, I would use the remaining two 120mm fans on the Centurion 532 case as a rear exhaust and front intake respectively. The 80mm fans are pretty much useless.
Old system is q6600 go stepping cpu
Abit Ip35 pro mobo
2x2gb crucial ballistix ddr2
Ecs 8800gts 512
Centurion 532 case
Samsung dvd burner
2x WD black 1tb hd
1Samsung 400gb hd
All you need is this then:
$63 - Seasonic G Series SSR-360GP 360W PSU

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That would work in both systems?
New one should draw less power right?
With your current specs, yes that PSU would work for either system. However, if you ever plan on upgrading the video card in the new system, then I would not recommend that Seasonic 360W for your new system. Considering that you have the 750TI, something tells me that a GPU upgrade is definitely in the works for you.

I don't factor in MIR until they're actually received. So that Zalman is still $30 to me. At that price, I really can't recommend the Zalman since the Hyper 212 Evo cools better and is slightly quieter. Can't comment on clearance though. With that said, even the taller Hyper 212 Evo had trouble clearing some RAM.

I recommend the best bang for the parts, not high-end parts. Hence why I keep recommending the Hyper 212 Evo: it's simple one of the best bang for the buck HSF out there.

I guess I'll build it with stock for now and check temps and see how cramped the memory is to the cpu socket on that board. Tracking info says tuesday delivery. Looks like I'm building next Wed.

I guess I'll build it with stock for now and check temps and see how cramped the memory is to the cpu socket on that board. Tracking info says tuesday delivery. Looks like I'm building next Wed.

In all seriousness, go with the Coolermaster 212 HSF.

I have the earlier model (the "212+" instead of the "212 Evo") and after literally FIVE years, my cpu still idles in the mid-30s! I can't vouch for this heatsink enough....

I've got an Acer LCD monitor (23") and an LG LCD TV (42"), both excellent brands....

The LG drive is fine. (I tend to go with either LG or Sony)

I guess I'll build it with stock for now and check temps and see how cramped the memory is to the cpu socket on that board.
Not exactly the best route as adding a 3rd party HSF to an already built PC is going to be a bit of a hassle. Clean off the thermal paste, clean the CPU, and may even require you to remove the motherboard from the case itself. That's why I generally recommend getting a 3rd party HSF at the beginning whenever possible.

The DVD burner is fine. Definitely go with the Acer as it's the better deal of the two monitors. The CX430 should only be used for your old PC. I don't recommend it for your new PC.

Ordered an ssd from newegg for $62.99 a couple days ago and before I even got it, tiger direct has it on sale for $69.99 and a $20 off promo code bringing it to $49.99
I did live chat and sent email link with promo code and end price.
Chat rep at newegg said promo codes aren't honored by ironegg gaurantee, but for a valued customer he would honor me a one time gift card for price difference.
I said ok great, then he tells me its $7 because I paid $62.99 and that's $7 difference from the tiger direct price of $69.99. I said so if I find a larger price difference he'd refund me the difference. All prices I found were less than $69.99 except Circuit city was $74.99 so I sent him link to that. He would have refunded me difference, but said Circuit city was not listed competitor. I asked him to show his supervisor the chat, which I doubt he did and said all he could do was the $7. I said I'd call back instead.
Called, sat on hold 10 minutes, got someone with half a clue and they canceled the $7 and refunded the $13 real difference via gift card to be sent 3-5 business days.
Kinda sucks when I was going to order a couple more things that go off sale today. Guess I'll have to hope I find something I need before the gift card expires in 90 days.
Tempted to just send it back for refund and buy it from Tiger direct.
Hopefully that's the last issue with them for a while and I don't need to rma anything for this build.

Mx100 128gb

Should be enough for windows 7, warcraft 3 and starcraft 2 installs. Wont have much on it besides that.
How full is too full?

Everthing I've seen says mx100 will drop in price shortly because new better faster models coming out or are out.
Maybe pick up another later if need be.

I just can't get over how dumb that chat guy was making things up and his wonderful math.
Phone guy said they honor promo codes, just not black friday or rebates.
So much for 3-5 days for credit, was emailed to me tonight. Prolly just have to say that as disclaimer for delays.
Looks like I'll be ordering a dvd burner after work tonight while its on sale yet.
My old optical drive is IDE, not sure if my new mobo has that, so better off with a new one anyways.

That should be fine then. Try not to keep it more than 85% to 90% full

I got all fans mounted up in the case. Two 120 intake front 120 intake side, 140 exhaust back of top, 120 exhaust back. Pretty nice case. But 1/3 as thick or heavy as my old case. Old case drive mounts are much nicer too. I don't like how far back the hard drives stick back into case. When they could be another inch forward if mounting wasn't cheesy. I do like that there's a perfect spot to put a filter media between front of case and the intake fans. Can't wait to get rest of parts. Tracking says delay due to bad weather. Delivery estimate unavailable :(

I got all fans mounted up in the case. Two 120 intake front 120 intake side, 140 exhaust back of top, 120 exhaust back. Pretty nice case. But 1/3 as thick or heavy as my old case. Old case drive mounts are much nicer too. I don't like how far back the hard drives stick back into case. When they could be another inch forward if mounting wasn't cheesy. I do like that there's a perfect spot to put a filter media between front of case and the intake fans. Can't wait to get rest of parts. Tracking says delay due to bad weather. Delivery estimate unavailable :(
I'm not seeing an extra inch of space there. There's just enough space to slides in front. Nor would sticking the fans into the front face be a good idea either. Also, with the HDD facing parrallel to the case, there's less obstruction for the airflow. Which means better cooling.

There is atleast an inch between the front of hard drives and back of fans which are mounted where they should be. There is about 5/8" between mesh where fans mount and the mesh of the front cover which is where I will place a filter media to prevent dust from entering the case. I don't mind directionality of drive mounting, just how far back they are and the clips aren't as nice as old case. I'll post a pic once I get the mobo in. I might just drill some new holes and mount the hd with screws old school so they are forward further.
Not sure what you mean by slides. Hope the fan part made more sense, not how you were thinking

I still have no idea what you're talking about. I actually have the Source 220 case on hand for some testing so let me show you what I'm seeing:
IMG_8975 by dangman4ever, on Flickr
There's barely any space between the HDD and the front mounted fans. So I'm not sure where you're getting an inch from.

Unless you installed the fans incorrectly in the actual front cover/face?

Also note that you could use the same HDD mounts on the opposite side. That's another way you'll get more stability for the HDD unless you screw in the other side of the HDD.

Hmm. I thought that whole metal rack for hds was mounted back further in my case.
Yes, I noticed and have hd mounting brackets used on both sides.
Fans mounted same as yours.

Edit nvm. That inch gap was test fitting a hard drive before I mounted the fans. Now that they are in there, the gap is about 1/4".
Shoulda just looked at case again. My memory was off.

"That should be fine then. Try not to keep it more than 85% to 90% full"
^^^ That.

Plus you still have your old hard drives? Use your SSD as a boot drive and just put one game on your SSD at a time. Keep your other games on the other Hard drives when you are not playing them, but im sure you knew that.

So far so good. Parts arrived today a day later than planned due to bad weather. Spent about 90 min taking my time putting it all together tonight after work.
So far-
Board is a little cramped. Unable to install or remove memory with a video card installed because tabs for memory are up tight against the card.
Case is a little deeper than I thought. I'm unable to close desk door after having cables attached to back of case.
As loud as my old rig was in surprised the new fans are a little louder than old rig. Going to have to see if I can slow the speeds and quiet them a bit.
Sure is pretty tho. Blue led on top, red led on front and side.
Stock fan is cpu fan is tiny. Once I get everything dialed in ill check temps, see if I need a 212 cooler.
Luckily I put win7 on bootable thumb drive a couple months ago. So far installing without a hitch.
Tomorrow will be installing video card drivers and all the programs.

Plus I risked it and tried psu in my old rig before building and it started up. Worth finding a psu for it then.

Time for bed. Pics and update tomorrow.

Thought my dvd drive was IDE but it wasn't, so I didn't order one right away. Well old one was always on the fritz, but got me by. Not this time. Won't read disk to install lan drivers. Thankfully this mobo is awesome. It has a utility to download them to usb and install. Doing that now. It sure is slow.

Thought my dvd drive was IDE but it wasn't, so I didn't order one right away. Well old one was always on the fritz, but got me by. Not this time. Won't read disk to install lan drivers. Thankfully this mobo is awesome. It has a utility to download them to usb and install. Doing that now. It sure is slow.

Don't install motherboard drivers off the included disc.

Download the latest ones off their website etc....

If he needs the LAN driver to get the rest off the web, there may be no choice, if he doesn't have a laptop or secondary computer of sorts to do so.

No, mobo utility like in bios downloads latest drivers from net to a usb then install them from usb in windows after. Only need lan drivers for windows. Not in bios. It worked great, just really slow. Up and running on net now, firefox installed. Audio and videocard drivers next. 90% of the noise was from an 80mm fan. Unplugged that and now its nice and quiet.
Cpu says 30*c now. I'll check what its at after games install and play for a while.
So far this is by far easiest trouble free build I've ever done.

so far so good. I installed it and its running right now. So nice typing this from a keyboard again instead of my phone.The drivers are downloading for the 750 right now. crazy they are like 300+mb.
I removed the mobo from old computer and didn't see any cooked spots, and seemed to boot up with new psu. I have a feeling the only thing that went was the old psu. It had 5 different spots that were burned to a crisp. My son wants the old computer for minecraft and youtube videos. Should be good enough for that once I get a new psu.

Installing drivers, got a blue screen, restarted tried again fresh install. All seems good.

only thing I'm having issues with is the Lan. darn thing is SLOW. 1mbps downloading average on starcraft 2 update and my speedtest showed 2.8mbps max. Any ideas?

Great now issues with transfering windows 7 to this computer from my old and putting xp back on that.
Wish me luck on phone activation

update- windows activated, but Lan still slow as heck.
Tried new cable, router is old linksys, but shouldn't be an issue because my old computer wasn't that slow.
Drivers are new and up to date, not sure what else to try.

All said and done, operating system, drivers, Warcraft3 and Starcraft 2 loaded and Hard drive is exactly 50% full.
works for me.

No idea. Bios program downloaded drivers to usb drive, I started windows and it had a setup file. Clicked that, it installed and restarted and internet worked. I didn't realize it was that slow right away and after a few installs and restarts. Did troubleshooting thing, says drivers are working properly and up to date. I did speed test again before leaving for work. Was up to 4.2 mbps, but seemed slow. I loaded some other bundled lan thing that downloaded on the usb drive, but not sure what thats for. Searching said that may be part of problem, but it was slow before I loaded that. Seems like some network manager thing. My wife said netflix has been slow lately too, maybe related. Ill see what its like in 45min when I get home. It seemed slow via bios download so it doesn't seem like drivers is problem.
I will bypass router to rule that out

6.24mbps on speed test now.

something to do with the router, bypassed it, speedtest was 46kbps. I'll look into it more later.
I'd post pics, but not sure how on here. Computer is running well what is a good operating cpu temp?
Trying to decide if I need aftermarket cooler or not.
Tried out that Total War 2 Rome. It's ok, but not my cup of tea. MIght see if I can sell it or trade it or something.

Probably can't sell Rome since you more than likely activated the game already when you installed it. Tied to your Steam account already.

As for temps. under 50 to 60C is good.

Back