Arg!! tool-less cases SUCK!

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
yeah i almost caplocked the whole thread title because this shits pissed me off..

so i have this wonderful xclios windtunnel case.. out side it looks great.. performs great.. BUT it cant hold a god damn graphics card with its tool-less pos locking mechanism for anything.. so about 3 hours ago my system completely friggin crashed while in the middle of a game.. it has never done this in the 2 years ive been running this rig(the first system in my sig other ones dead).. so i figured it was the piece of junk boot drive i was using in this system after it kept locking up on me.... so i switched over to my windows 7 drive.. spend 30 minutes doing a windows boot repair since ive never run windows 7 on this system(its the boot drive from my dead system).. well it kept BSOD'ing so im like what the fuck.. figured that the change in motherboard, cpu and hdd's was making it mad or there was something else wrong..
so i booted back up into xp a few times trying to figure out what was causing it to lock up and watching everything that loaded up.. couldnt figure it out.. so i figured maybe it was the 2 sticks of generic ram im running with my high end ram.. so i open my case and low and behold i look at the bottom of it and my GTX 260 is friggin hanging half way out of the pci-e slot.. so i put it in.. get everything working again.. then boom system crashes to bios.. so i open the case again and the pos fell out once more.. so now im stick with some half ass rigged thing hold my gtx 260 up just so that if the mechanism pops open again the friggin card wont fall out.. who the fuck comes up with this bullshit! (yeah yeah i know its my fault i bought the case but i never had this problem with my 8800GT)

yeah.. so i just had to get that shit out of my system because its 4 in the friggin morning and i have a 5 1/2 hour drive when i wake up..

Sad Panda :(

Don't like tool less cases. This is especially true with dedicated boxen. Don't want to EVER have to baby sit my rigs after they are up and running.

I thought no tool cases were thumb screws, this is something differant?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Just take the tool-less bracket off and use case screws. That's what I did when I had the case, worked like a champ. The bracket wouldn't even close with my 4890s heatsink in the way.

alexcase.jpg

I thought no tool cases were thumb screws, this is something differant?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
Thumbscrew tool-less = awesome
Cheap tooless = plastic latches everywhere that are frustrating, don't line up, don't provide secure latching, hard to unlatch, wobbly, etc.

I hate to poke at you here but why not just turn the case on it's side?

Just take the tool-less bracket off and use case screws. That's what I did when I had the case, worked like a champ. The bracket wouldn't even close with my 4890s heatsink in the way.

alexcase.jpg
That front hard drive cage looks horrible from an airflow perspective for front intake.

I don't have a problem with most tool-less HD and optical mounts but I would never bother with them on a gpu; just my personal opinion on the matter. ;)

I hate when manufacturers put all that cheap plastic junk in there to begin with...let alone whether it's safe enough or not (despite their claims otherwise). :)

I've got that case with a 9800gx2 and 9800gt. I don't use the screwless system for the vidcards, I use the screw holes and screw them down tight. As soon as I saw that crap I ignored it and went tried and true with the screws.

That's what I like about the cases I have, they all use regular screws instead of cheap plastic bits.

Well, except for one CoolerMaster case, but its tool-less HDD locking mechanism actually seems to work for the past years, even survived a move across the country :)

On a sidenote, XClio is a brand to stay the heck away from.

I like tool-less mechanisms, but it depends how well they are designed and what they are used for. I always use screws to hold in video cards and other expansion cards, but for mounting HDs and optical drives, the tool-less latches are quite useful.

alexcase.jpg

damn didnt think about that.. wish something like that was possible with the hard drives.. cheap ass plastic design with pins.. half of them are missing pins to hold the hard drives in so i have them rubberbanded into each slot.. so far its worked but with my luck im sure one of the rubber bands will break soon since its been like that for about a year 1/2..

That's what I like about the cases I have, they all use regular screws instead of cheap plastic bits.

Well, except for one CoolerMaster case, but its tool-less HDD locking mechanism actually seems to work for the past years, even survived a move across the country :)

On a sidenote, XClio is a brand to stay the heck away from.

actually other then the LCD temp screen half ass working and the pos tool-less crap i like this case.. its quiet as hell compared to my antec 300 case.. and does a hell of a lot better job at cooling then the antec 300 does even with only 3 fans running on it.. since i took the front fan out and put it in my antec 300 case a while ago..

push all those cheap pins out too and slap in some screws to hold them to the hds. The case is far from tooless at this point but the rails hold tight.

Should work fine, I just added another hd to mine 20 mins ago. :)

push all those cheap pins out too and slap in some screws to hold them to the hds. The case is far from tooless at this point but the rails hold tight.

i tried but the normal screws arent long enough to fit in there.. already sliced my finger open trying to act smart and chipping off the excess plastic to fit the screws in.. i tried buying some other screws that fit on the hard drive but they were to friggin long.. so i gave up and pulled out the bag of rubber bands and ghetto rigged it.. i may end up bugging xclios again to see if they can send me some more or something.. i already got a new front panel from them because the first LCD screen stopped working after about 3 months but this ones acting up as well but at least it some what works.. i can still read the second number as long as its below x5C :p

shame, I had some short screws with small heads sitting around that worked great.

O well at least you solved one problem lol

Back