Are you happy with win 11?

are you happy with win 11?

• yes

Votes: 42 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 21 33.3%

• Total voters
It... must... be.... posted.... again....

pexels-mehdows.jpg

My wife just built her brother a new computer that she installed Windows 11 on it. He hates it; she hasn’t used it much but said it didn’t seem that bad.

I’ll be getting a new laptop for my birthday and it’s going to have Windows 11 on it so I’ll find out first hand. As someone who switched regularly between Windows 10, macOS, and various different Linux distributions and window managers, I’ll probably not even really care. Once you’re in the applications you use and can fast switch between them the underlying OS almost disappears.

I really can't stand the taskbar on 11. Somehow I always end up with what MS wants to push down my throat instead of what I'm looking for. It's just not intuitive at all. I keep finding myself making the following errors after like a year of using it (they only stop me for <1 sec, but it's annoying).
  • Not realizing cut and paste & Delete moved to icons instead of being in the menu as "Cut" "Paste" and "Delete"
  • Failing to get to the settings window
  • Always going to the bottom left for the start button to be met with an ad instead of a menu
  • Forgetting all my programs are behind the "All Apps" button requiring two clicks (I keep looking at the main pop up instead)
  • Pinning icons to the wrong thing (taskbar, start menu, etc.)
  • Always clicking on the notification popup instead of what was underneath it or the "go away" arrow
It RUNS fine. It's STABLE. It works. But I have these mental short circuits I can't seem to kick, and after a while - you have to wonder if it's the pilot or the plane. Not to make this a linux vs windows thing - but I did install Gnome on my dual boot drive for the first time ever. Gnome was very different than what I was used to, and hated it at first. But like it or hate it, it's well done from a "being intuitive" standpoint. Within a couple of weeks I had stopped making the similar types of mistakes (like going to the top left for activities, realizing there isn't a minimize function - you send to another workspace, not having a desktop, really only having a taskbar and the all apps icons, etc.). Somehow that major switch was easier than the switch from win10 to 11. Maybe drastic change is easier to adapt to? I dunno - but win11 keeps tripping me up with stupid meaningless things, and it's annoying. Maybe I'm just stupid, but whatever...

I voted "no" but would have picked "meh" if it existed.

• Not realizing cut and paste & Delete moved to icons instead of being in the menu as "Cut" "Paste" and "Delete"
I would recommand going to the previous menu,
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-open-full-right-click-menu-by-default-windows-11/

Maybe does not matter for the cut-paste-delete-rename that have everyone know direct keyboard shortcut, but if you have a long of programs can be useful...

• Always going to the bottom left for the start button to be met with an ad instead of a menu
  • Forgetting all my programs are behind the "All Apps" button requiring two clicks (I keep looking at the main pop up instead)
  • Always clicking on the notification popup instead of what was underneath it or the "go away" arrow
use them more, youll get used to it
right click the start menu, click settings.
move it over then.
pin them
its not rocket surgery
then turn them off.

bottom line, use it more and get used to it.

First I tried Win11 in a VM. Didn't care for it. Later a family member got a laptop they ended up not needing, so they gave it to me. It came with Win11. I threw Win10 and Linux on there.

I really can't stand the taskbar on 11. Somehow I always end up with what MS wants to push down my throat instead of what I'm looking for. It's just not intuitive at all. I keep finding myself making the following errors after like a year of using it (they only stop me for <1 sec, but it's annoying).
It RUNS fine. It's STABLE. It works. But I have these mental short circuits I can't seem to kick, and after a while - you have to wonder if it's the pilot or the plane. Not to make this a linux vs windows thing - but I did install Gnome on my dual boot drive for the first time ever. Gnome was very different than what I was used to, and hated it at first. But like it or hate it, it's well done from a "being intuitive" standpoint. Within a couple of weeks I had stopped making the similar types of mistakes (like going to the top left for activities, realizing there isn't a minimize function - you send to another workspace, not having a desktop, really only having a taskbar and the all apps icons, etc.). Somehow that major switch was easier than the switch from win10 to 11. Maybe drastic change is easier to adapt to? I dunno - but win11 keeps tripping me up with stupid meaningless things, and it's annoying. Maybe I'm just stupid, but whatever...

I voted "no" but would have picked "meh" if it existed.

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

it's ridiculous that i need this just to put my taskbar on the left side of the screen, but here we are

It's fine. Other than moving start to the left corner and unpinning some junk there isn't much I find myself doing on fresh installs. It's not a big improvement on 10 but it's not really a step back, so... I guess I'll take it.

Now that I've been using it for a few days, I cast my vote as Yes. There's nothing egregiously wrong that I've encountered so far. Not a fan of how many updates are happening but the laptop was introduced in January of this year and ASUS didn't keep up to date on driver releases so I ended up downloading all the AMD chipset/GPU updates which then triggered multiple Windows updates. So, I doubt this is a typical Windows 11 experience. Maybe in a week or two everything will calm down. :)

Back