are you happy with win 11?

• yes

Votes: 42 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 21 33.3%

• Total voters

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
Just my curiosity....I know some are not happy with win11 and may prefer 10. I had 10, upgraded to 11 and surprisingly I like 11 better. It seems a bit faster, very stable and less nags.

I bought 10 retail and was very annoyed that it came with built in ads in the form of apps that were difficult to remove. No such nonsense in 11.

I know some aren't happy with 11 so go ahead and mouth off about it.

My system is too old 8th gen i7. Tried the work arounds (its been a while) and nothing worked shortly after release. Haven't tried recently though. So, I am not happy with it lol.

My only gripes with win11 are the taskbar changes. I have a lot of apps where I need lots of windows open, and hiding everything behind a single icon on the taskbar, forcing me to mouseover, and then only giving me previews without window titles is not sufficient. I've had to install Windhawk with a few plugins to get separate taskbar icons with titles in order to better navigate multiple windows. Trying to switch between a dozen ssh sessions when working on systems without window titles is hell.

They are fixing this in an upcoming release luckily.

Last edited:
My system is too old 8th gen i7. Tried the work arounds (its been a while) and nothing worked shortly after release. Haven't tried recently though. So, I am not happy with it lol.
I thought 8th generation CPU's will work with 11. You may have something else turned off in the BIOS such as secure boot or did not have TPM 2.0.

I thought 8th generation CPU's will work with 11. You may have something else turned off in the BIOS such as secure boot or did not have TPM 2.0.
I thought they enabled 8th gen later, i was able to work around that one at the time. And no secure boot. I messed with this for about a week straight at release (cuz everyone had some cool idea to try). and haven't bothered with it since.

my bad, its a 7th gen lol. not enough coffee today

Last edited:
I thought they enabled 8th gen later, i was able to work around that one at the time. And no secure boot. I messed with this for about a week straight at release (cuz everyone had some cool idea to try). and haven't bothered with it since.

my bad, its a 7th gen lol. not enough coffee today
only a handful of 7th gens are supported. try the reg edit during setup work around thats been posted several times...

im happy with it but i wonder... are the people "unhappy" actually using it?

Very happy now..... We can add stickers to the desktop

/s

1692816930964.png

I like it for the most part. The things that I dislike tend to be minor annoyances. Stuff like when you right-click on the desktop, having most of the useful options now hidden behind "Show more options". When you right click on a file, basic commands like Cut, Copy, Paste, Rename, etc have had the words removed and replaced by icons. Neither of these things were necessary, and were in-fact counter-productive and felt like changes made just for the sake of making changes.

But Windows 11 has also introduced a lot of things that have been really nice. Auto-HDR for example really looks nice in several of the non-HDR games that I play. Although I wasn't initially thrilled having the taskbar icons moved to the center, I think it's a better fit now that I'm running an Ultrawide - and of course, you still have the option to move it back to the bottom-left if you want.

Overall, it's a pretty minor evolution of Windows 10. If you're a hardcore Linux fanatic and just hate Windows because it's Windows, that's one thing, but I really don't understand why someone would like 10 but dislike 11, since they are so similar. Even on unsupported hardware, there are a lot of different ways to bypass the requirements, most of which are easy and foolproof. No need for complex commands or registry edits. Multiple methods simply involve copying and pasting a single file, or you could use a tool like Rufus if you really want. It's possible to install Windows 11 on basically any 64-bit x86 computer.

Last edited:
I like what it is right now. It shipped in a rushed state, but over the last 2 years they've fixed nearly all my gripes. I bounce back and forth between 10 and 11 for work, and I'd take 11 vs. 10 without question.

I haven't used it in about 6 months so I will have to give it another shot. I can only speak to my previous experience, which wasn't very positive.

Tried it for about 6 months but didn't have a good experience. Weird hitches and lags. My SSD was also declining in performance at the time so that didn't help.

Ended up going back to Win 10 LTSC and replaced the ssd with optane. Smooth sailing ever since

You still need (i think) to manually put the right click menu to be normal, some major taskbar setting yet to be on the non windows preview people release and the ability to put it on the side even announced ?, many of the great new stuff are win10-11 not exclusive.

That said perfectly ok with it, put a lot of the perception are maybe all have been on windows 10 updates as well, would not know by now.

I like 11 quite a bit. Only thing I don't care for is they took away the ability to show all icons in system tray which is just a minor grievance.

Something I don't enjoy is all of the trash links they leave in the Start Menu by default.

I've been using it on my Dell G5 5505 Gaming Laptop for almost a year now. Like others have said, I did not like show more options, and showing only icons with descriptions removed. I decided to go with Start11 which replaces the Win11 desktop. It's been updated several times to take out some of the minor bugs. I like it much better than the Windows 11 desktop, which allows you to customize the desktop. One item I did not activate was memory integrity, because it has an impact on gaming performance.

Forgot to add: MS really wants you to have a MS account, so I had to use the bypass method to get around it to have a local account only. I have no use for a MS account or OneDrive which I removed. I know how to backup my files myself thank you very much.

Drives me insane everyday. I have a Windows 10 system and a Windows 11 system for work. They both suck ass. Just slow and clunky even on fairly high powered laptops. Win 11 is a Dell Precision 5570 with a Core i9. Both are ungodly slow when waking from sleep and reconnecting to my monitors. Applications are always in different places. Let's not even talk about the nightmare that is Windows Update. Had two Win11 systems blow up on me in the last 6 months thanks to Patch Tuesday. These two Windows systems are the only Windows systems in my house. They're also the only systems that ever give me any issues.

Bottomline is Windows can suck it.

Thankfully Linux is supported by Intune now so I'm busy configuring that and testing so I can move myself to an actual useful OS that isn't a security risk the moment you give it Internet access.

Drives me insane everyday. I have a Windows 10 system and a Windows 11 system for work. They both suck ass. Just slow and clunky even on fairly high powered laptops. Win 11 is a Dell Precision 5570 with a Core i9. Both are ungodly slow when waking from sleep and reconnecting to my monitors. Applications are always in different places. Let's not even talk about the nightmare that is Windows Update. Had two Win11 systems blow up on me in the last 6 months thanks to Patch Tuesday. These two Windows systems are the only Windows systems in my house. They're also the only systems that ever give me any issues.

Bottomline is Windows can suck it.

Thankfully Linux is supported by Intune now so I'm busy configuring that and testing so I can move myself to an actual useful OS that isn't a security risk the moment you give it Internet access.
Resume from sleep takes about 1-2 seconds on my 7950x. That includes typing in my password.

I'll wait and see how 23H2 update is. So far not having never combine taskbar is a pain in the ass, and it has problem with some applications when they minimize. Never had any issues with Win XP/Vista/7/8 (with mods) or 10 with the taskbar. You'll have have situations in some programs in Win 11 where you have one program open but it has a few in program tabs, and Win 11 counts it as 3 separate windows. Which makes switching to it a pain in the ass, and sometimes highlighting one of the tabs won't maximize the program.

You can't screw up one of the main interface points of an OS and make it slower and less functional, and that is why my desktop still has Win 10. With the new update I will see if it is worth upgrading to on the desktop.

I just did a fresh windows 11 install a few weeks ago. Really liking it so far no issues

In all seriousness, I haven't found Windows 11 to be "bad", I don't like Microsoft's arbitrary requirements hardware wise, but it's their choice. I mean, for awhile, it looked like they might be opening up to other architectures. Artificial limitations are a step in the wrong direction.

I don't like Microsoft's arbitrary requirements hardware wise, but it's their choice. I mean, for awhile, it looked like they might be opening up to other architectures. Artificial limitations are a step in the wrong direction.

I also dislike the restrictions, which is why I've helped so many people (on and off the forums) bypass the requirements. But the requirements were not "arbitrary". The CPUs that didn't make the cut were all CPUs with known vulnerabilities. This was Microsoft's attempt to improve the security and reputation of the Windows platform in general by tightening things up. Things like TPM and Secure Boot were also designed to make the platform more secure in general. This was due, in a large part, to aggressive marketing campaigns by competitors. Example:

I still think that the better approach would be to allow user upgrades on older hardware (without needing a bypass), with a large and ominous disclaimer explaining the risks. But I can also see how from a business standpoint, improving the overall security for future potential users would be more profitable than catering to users clinging to older hardware. It's a terrible route to take from the perspective of a tech enthusiast who is able to mitigate the risks when running vulnerable hardware, but the average user still doesn't understand why it's bad to click on links in spam emails, etc. We have hostile states (China, etc) as well as massive criminal operations ready and willing to take advantage of any vulnerability they can. The internet is a hostile place these days.

I also dislike the restrictions, which is why I've helped so many people (on and off the forums) bypass the requirements. But the requirements were not "arbitrary". The CPUs that didn't make the cut were all CPUs with known vulnerabilities. This was Microsoft's attempt to improve the security and reputation of the Windows platform in general by tightening things up. Things like TPM and Secure Boot were also designed to make the platform more secure in general. This was due, in a large part, to aggressive marketing campaigns by competitors. Example:

I still think that the better approach would be to allow user upgrades on older hardware (without needing a bypass), with a large and ominous disclaimer explaining the risks. But I can also see how from a business standpoint, improving the overall security for future potential users would be more profitable than catering to users clinging to older hardware. It's a terrible route to take from the perspective of a tech enthusiast who is able to mitigate the risks when running vulnerable hardware, but the average user still doesn't understand why it's bad to click on links in spam emails, etc. We have hostile states (China, etc) as well as massive criminal operations ready and willing to take advantage of any vulnerability they can. The internet is a hostile place these days.

No offense, but that's not Microsoft's job. Especially, since there are known vulnerabilities in the CPUs they do support. Nah, that's bogus, not the reason.

No offense, but that's not Microsoft's job. Especially, since there are known vulnerabilities in the CPUs they do support. Nah, that's bogus, not the reason.

What do you mean "that's not Microsoft's job"? Their job is to make money, period. On the desktop/laptop front, they are primarily competing against companies releasing computers running OSX and Chrome OS, where in most cases users don't even have the option to use their own hardware at all, and those computers are practically ready for the trash can after ~5 years.

If you think that security and brand reputation isn't the reason for the Windows 11 requirments, then what do you think the reason is exactly? You think Microsoft is just being mean? :rolleyes:

Windows 11 has been out for almost 2 years now. The vulnerabilities in supported CPUs have mostly been discovered during that time.

What do you mean "that's not Microsoft's job"? Their job is to make money, period. On the desktop/laptop front, they are primarily competing against companies releasing computers running OSX and Chrome OS, where in most cases users don't even have the option to use their own hardware at all, and those computers are practically ready for the trash can after ~5 years.

If you think that security and brand reputation isn't the reason for the Windows 11 requirments, then what do you think the reason is exactly? You think Microsoft is just being mean? :rolleyes:

Windows 11 has been out for almost 2 years now. The vulnerabilities in supported CPUs have mostly been discovered during that time.
Uh, if they wanted to make money, usually you want to support your OS on more platforms, not less (??)

Uh, if they wanted to make money, usually you want to support your OS on more platforms, not less (??)

I don't think that offering free upgrades on old hardware is particularly lucrative for them. The majority of their income from Windows comes from business customers (including schools, etc), as well as new licenses on OEM/Pre-built systems.

I think it's also worth noting that they have clearly turned a blind-eye toward those who use a bypass and install it anyway, meaning that they really don't care if you run Windows 11 on older hardware, they just don't necessarily want your average random grandma doing it. Windows 11 will even kindly find drivers for you, even for hardware that you would never find in a computer that actually met the requirements.

Last edited:
Honestly, I like Windows 11 fine. The rt-click menu is sometimes annoying, but other than that nothing particularly untoward...

TRIGGER WARNING: HOT TAKE INCOMING

That being said, however, I overall preferred Windows 8.1. The touch-centric Start Menu was fantastic if you had a touch device. Touch Internet Explorer made for an extremely convenient and fluid browsing experience as well. And I had a Surface 2 Pro while my wife was rocking a Surface 2 RT for her schoolwork. On top of that Windows 8 felt FAST, much faster on my hardware than Win 7. I also had a Windows Phone, and the live tiles were fast and intuitive. If they had made an option to keep the existing touch/swipe/Live Tiles Start Menu in touch mode and switch to something like the Start Menu of Windows 7 or 11 when a keyboard and mouse are attached, with a hotkey or button to pull up the live tiles Start Menu as a separate "widgets" control panel, no one would be bitching about it today. Really, if they had been more intelligent about it instead of Sinofsky's "my way or the highway" attitude, things would be very different now. To this DAY, I have not used a better touch interface on any device whether it be fruit-flavored, robot-flavored, or freedom-flavored.

...and they threw it all away.

You need to add a I do not care selection to the poll. As long as it does everything I need it to and supports everything I use, I am fine with Windows 11.

I don't think that offering free upgrades on old hardware is particularly lucrative for them. The majority of their income from Windows comes from business customers (including schools, etc), as well as new licenses on OEM/Pre-built systems.

I think it's also worth noting that they have clearly turned a blind-eye toward those who use a bypass and install it anyway, meaning that they really don't care if you run Windows 11 on older hardware, they just don't necessarily want your average random grandma doing it. Windows 11 will even kindly find drivers for you, even for hardware that you would never find in a computer that actually met the requirements.
I know it sounds weird, but you might be surprised at how much Microsoft values being "the only OS", even if you're installing and running it "for free". IMHO, Microsoft is making a mistake by not making a supported path to allow installation on those "non-compliant" machines. But, as a Linux fan, I'm ok with those mistakes.

My zephyrus came with it and still don't like it for the same reason I didn't like it before, takes more clicks to get things done on it which is pretty much the opposite of how a newer product should be imo.

Stuff like when you right-click on the desktop, having most of the useful options now hidden behind "Show more options".

I have Windows 11 on my work laptop and this drives me halfway up the wall. Everything else about it, I could care less about. OpenShell can get rid of their new taskbar, and Windows Privacy Dashboard can probably get rid of whatever additional telemetry crap they have. The context menu sucks though.

Only thing that I really hate is the no simple option for a local account at setup. You have to fudge it.

Back