Are you angry at Intel?

wandplus

Limp Gawd
This might be a useless question for some people but I just bought an Intel i5-11400 to replace an i5-10400. Why? There are at least 3 reasons.
First, Intel had already announced the end of support for Comet Lake CPUs.
Second, the super video resolution (whatever it's called again), is available on Rocket Lake but not Comet Lake.
Third, the solution for one of the vulnerabilities for the Intel CPUs (from what I remember reading but couldn't find the link) could decrease the performance by up to 50%. As far as I can remember from what I read, this still was more applicable to Comet Lake than Rocket Lake.
In any case, since I read at one point that Intel stopped manufacturing on the Rocket Lake CPUs I think they should re-start production of the i5-11400.. And I think they should make an i3 model with UHD Graphics 730. This should be done as compensation for the many people who have Comet Lake CPUs.
Besides, I'm not even comfortable with the socket 1700 since it needs a bracket and Intel says if you use it it voids the warranty. And even though there's a fix for the stuttering with Ryzen CPUs I don't fully trust those either.

I am just building an AMD system today because Intel restricts ECC memory functionality to the W680 chipset.

Most intel CPU's can get nuked by their side channel vulnerabilities. And unless you actively share a system with other people you dont know, you dont need to worry about most of the side channel attacks on the CPUs...because if someone already has that level of access to your device, your screwed in a 1000 other ways already.

Intel wont start up production.. as others noted, move to AMD....but even AMD has its side channel vulnerabilities too...

I am just building an AMD system today because Intel restricts ECC memory functionality to the W680 chipset.
Careful, 5 series supported ECC, but it is also pendant on the mobo maker actually allowing full ECC functionality in it. It may say it can take ECC, but it does not mean it is actually fully enabling ECC to do what it does best.

Just like DDR5 claims of including "ECC", it is not ECC enabled like Server grade ECC ram sticks are.

Careful, 5 series supported ECC, but it is also pendant on the mobo maker actually allowing full ECC functionality in it. It may say it can take ECC, but it does not mean it is actually fully enabling ECC to do what it does best.

Just like DDR5 claims of including "ECC", it is not ECC enabled like Server grade ECC ram sticks are.

I have an AM4 board with explicit support for ECC. I previously built AM4 machines where I have seen errors reported to the OS, so that part works fine. Of course these desktop ECC implementations don't have all the features of the platforms with registered ECC, but the basics work.

Most intel CPU's can get nuked by their side channel vulnerabilities. And unless you actively share a system with other people you dont know, you dont need to worry about most of the side channel attacks on the CPUs...because if someone already has that level of access to your device, your screwed in a 1000 other ways already.

Until somebody tiggers the vulnerabilities from Javascript or Webassembly...

Until somebody tiggers the vulnerabilities from Javascript or Webassembly...
Which again they could also trigger anything else to infect your system, and that is what if...and it would need to be constantly running to capture enough data from these attacks to try and form any amount of useful data. They could instead just infect your system with something else to capture passwords and users. most AV and XDR systems are so easily bypassed with a couple powershell commands these days..

Which again they could also trigger anything else to infect your system, and that is what if...and it would need to be constantly running to capture enough data from these attacks to try and form any amount of useful data. They could instead just infect your system with something else to capture passwords and users. most AV and XDR systems are so easily bypassed with a couple powershell commands these days..

No, that is not the same thing. The sandboxing would catch other exploits before they could execute shell commands outside the browser, but the side channel attacks are not sandboxable

What sandboxing specifically? Do you run everything in sandbox mode (Edge, or start a windows10/11 sandbox for every site you visit ?)

if you visit a compromised website that is allowed to run javascript or initiate a payload on your device, or you do get a questionable executable...you get nailed with redline'r malware or take your pick, which defender does not even pick up, or most other AV...

What do you have set to actually be sandbox'd in your OS?

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/acti...Ac?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

1696699653914.png

I'm angry at Intel because they sat on their ass for 10+ years, milking quad-core chips with single-digit performance increases each generation while showing no real innovation. During this time Intel fabs went from being some of the best in the world to a joke and we handed the semiconductor lead over to Taiwan right in time for China to gobble it up. Way to go Intel!

I'm angry at Intel because they sat on their ass for 10+ years, milking quad-core chips with single-digit performance increases each generation while showing no real innovation. During this time Intel fabs went from being some of the best in the world to a joke and we handed the semiconductor lead over to Taiwan right in time for China to gobble it up. Way to go Intel!
I'm sure they purposely wanted their fabs to fail. Shame on them.

I'm sure they purposely wanted their fabs to fail. Shame on them.
Why did we only start to see innovation out of them again after AMD started catching up? Are you implying that they should get a free-pass for doing the bare minimum for 10 years?

Why did we only start to see innovation out of them again after AMD started catching up? Are you implying that they should get a free-pass for doing the bare minimum for 10 years?
I was talking about their fab failures. So not sure what why you are bringing up the four core stagnation for the mass desktop market.

Anyway, they had HEDT six and eight core stuff for years and years. Just because you didn't get a cheap six core doesn't mean they didn't have them.

I was talking about their fab failures. So not sure what why you are bringing up the four core stagnation for the mass desktop market.

Anyway, they had HEDT six and eight core stuff for years and years. Just because you didn't get a cheap six core doesn't mean they didn't have them.
Actually I did run a 5820k for a long time, and still do in my backup system, but I don't know that buying a HEDT system qualified as "cheap" :rolleyes:. You had to specifically buy into a more expensive platform in order to get access to chips with more than 4 cores. AMD starts to compete again and all of a sudden 6 cores qualifies as a budget CPU. Amazing how quick that happened.

Actually I did run a 5820k for a long time, and still do in my backup system, but I don't know that buying a HEDT system qualified as "cheap" :rolleyes:. You had to specifically buy into a more expensive platform in order to get access to chips with more than 4 cores. AMD starts to compete again and all of a sudden 6 cores qualifies as a budget CPU. Amazing how quick that happened.
Not necessarily. Gulftown would run on my X58 and was a viable replacement for the 4c 920 originally purchased. I ended up going the 6c xeon route since those were unlocked back then. Gulftown by itself new was expensive. But the xeons were reasonable.

So reasonable I doubled down on an SR2 for 12c/24t and oc'd it to 4.2GHz instead of going with a newer architecture. That was my HEDT until X99 tempted me with cores and ipc uplift.

Back