are titans done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think no one has a clue how much VRAM games will be able to use once they start taking use of the 8GB memory pool on new consoles and are then ported to the PC.

Give the developers all that RAM, and they'll use it- take Dragon Age II for example with the HQ textures installed. Not a game that requires a lot of rendering power unless you go stupid with the AA settings, but it can use a lot of VRAM, and that game is old.

Those consoles are rendering to 1080p with 7850's- don't expect them to push the geometry or pixel shaders through the roof. Expect them to push the textures to quickly eat up that slack VRAM.

If you're not running 6GB cards now, you're going to want to upgrade down the road just to turn the details up, especially when we start migrating to 4k displays on the desktop (which will likely happen faster than any of us think).

Are you aware of DirectX 11.2's tiled resources, which allows both VRAM and system RAM to store texture data?

Are you aware of DirectX 11.2's tiled resources, which allows both VRAM and system RAM to store texture data?

Sure, but aren't you aware of just how much slower that RAM is to access? Might as well be trying to texture across a PCI bus a la i740 :).

It's not THAT slow, of course, but relative to a modern GPU memory controller with access to DDR5, it's not something you want to be reaching back into for every frame.

And that underscores my dual points- first, people running GPUs with higher VRAM limits will be able to take advantage of that memory with upcoming games, while people with more pedestrian cards (like myself!) will have to dial the settings back- but will be just fine, even at 4k.

You're just as bad as the worst of them, GT. The guy takes my comment that had nothing to do with cost, says something with it, then goes on and on to argue semantics about what I meant, and then brings up cost. Seriously you guys are pathetic with this shit on this forum. And now you are talking about my 'negligence' with cost. Discussions don't work like that. If you want to bring up cost that is perfectly acceptable. You don't get to decide what someone else meant to say cause it is on your agenda. You'll come across worse than Fail does that way.

I'm busy living in the real world so I'm just going to add you to my ignore list too. Tons and tons of information to be found on this board but not from you. Am I suppose to put in a witty emoticon to prove a point now? Also I heard it is better if you put lots of (dots)......

Sorry, but rewording "you're dumb, I'm right, you're in fantasy-land" doesn't make it any more true. I didn't say you said anything about cost, in fact I specifically said you DIDN'T mention it and that it was a major factor in the discussion, so it was foolish to not do so. You can't just say "let's compare products A and B but ignore the most important factor... what, no don't bring it up, you're dumb for doing so go away I'm gonna put you on ignore!!!!!!" and think you're accomplishing anything but roundabout trolling :rolleyes:. I find it ironic you toss most of the people who have much of the best insight to be found on these forums on ignore, though.... and then profess to be interested in learning. Talk about contradicting yourself :).

Sorry, but rewording "you're dumb, I'm right, you're in fantasy-land" doesn't make it any more true. I didn't say you said anything about cost, in fact I specifically said you DIDN'T mention it and that it was a major factor in the discussion, so it was foolish to not do so. You can't just say "let's compare products A and B but ignore the most important factor... what, no don't bring it up, you're dumb for doing so go away I'm gonna put you on ignore!!!!!!" and think you're accomplishing anything but roundabout trolling :rolleyes:. I find it ironic you toss most of the people who have much of the best insight to be found on these forums on ignore, though.... and then profess to be interested in learning. Talk about contradicting yourself :).
Your assumptions are astounding.

:confused: You sound bitter I didn't give you much troll food in response to your insulting PM's.
I assure you this is the last post I ever make in this part of the forum: You still don't get to decide that I have to mention cost when it wasn't important to me. You're free to make your own posts, have your own agenda, but you still don't get to decide what should be on my agenda.

Oh and there go them assumptions again. You use the word 'troll' a lot considering your argumentative history around here. Anyways - you win whatever battle you feel you have to engage in. Feel free to berate, insult (and pretend you don't), and get your last word in. Its on me. You can have this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back