Are there any M.2 3x3 1300mbps wifi cards?

nebulight

n00b
I was originally going to go the hackintosh route and build my PC with an Apple Card BCM94360CD which is 3x3 AC for 1300mbps and bluetooth compared to my Asus Z170i's 2x2 867mpbs. I do a lot of transfers to and from my NAS and would like good local wifi lan speeds. I ordered the mini pcie adapter and the wifi card without even looking at the slot on the motherboard. Turns out i think it's an m.2 slot and not a mpcie slot so my adapter doesn't fit.

I'm not longer going to do the hackintosh things, so at this point I'd take any m.2 card that does 3x3 wifi. Bluetooth would be great, but not needed. Thanks!

Here was my stupid attempt and documenting the upgrade, only to have it end in failure....

DijZb8O.jpg

m7kJcZc.jpg

paXaGP8.jpg

S37GcbE.jpg

8kdwbfC.jpg

9g9mydR.jpg

gmOHQod.jpg

0aVRof4.jpg

Mf4YAZO.jpg

HYtuqIO.jpg

LHBPeid.jpg

h4U5j7y.jpg

jILkcgy.jpg

onCNFFj.jpg

I spent a crazy amount of time looking for the same answer a couple weeks ago, and found nothing. I only found one other 3x3 802.11ac adapter, but that is also mini-PCIe like the one you already have. So I spent ages looking for a simple mini-PCIe to M.2 adapter, and there's nothing. All kinds of adapters that go the other way, and let you plug an m.2 card into a mini-PCIe slot. The only thing I found that might work was this adapter setup, which uses a couple boards and a flat ribbon cable between them:
P15S-P15F (M.2 to mPCIe Extender Board)
Amazon.com: Bplus: P15S-P15F, M.2 (NGFF) to mPCIe Extender Board: Computers & Accessories

I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

Luckily for me, I checked all this was before I upgraded from my current mobo, which still has a mini-PCIe slot, so I was able to get an AzureWave AW-CB160H card. Though it uses MHF4 antennas, which is another can of worms.

Supposedly Intel is making a 9260, which will be 3x3 Mu-MIMO, but I've seen nothing official from Intel and no release date anywhere, so could just be vapourware.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I spent a crazy amount of time looking for the same answer a couple weeks ago, and found nothing. I only found one other 3x3 802.11ac adapter, but that is also mini-PCIe like the one you already have. So I spent ages looking for a simple mini-PCIe to M.2 adapter, and there's nothing. All kinds of adapters that go the other way, and let you plug an m.2 card into a mini-PCIe slot. The only thing I found that might work was this adapter setup, which uses a couple boards and a flat ribbon cable between them:
P15S-P15F (M.2 to mPCIe Extender Board)
Amazon.com: Bplus: P15S-P15F, M.2 (NGFF) to mPCIe Extender Board: Computers & Accessories

I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

Luckily for me, I checked all this was before I upgraded from my current mobo, which still has a mini-PCIe slot, so I was able to get an AzureWave AW-CB160H card. Though it uses MHF4 antennas, which is another can of worms.

Supposedly Intel is making a 9260, which will be 3x3 Mu-MIMO, but I've seen nothing official from Intel and no release date anywhere, so could just be vapourware.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will take a look at that adapter, but maybe I'll wait and see what intel is coming up with on the 9260. I too saw something from intel but as you said, couldn't find much on it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Uh, this is a desktop?

Why aren't you using an 802.11AC wireless bridge? It would be much easier to change in the future. They also usually offer better speeds from my experience. You would be surprised how much RF interference is inside a PC. I haven't seen a properly shielded wifi card since regular PCI was the standard.

Uh, this is a desktop?

Why aren't you using an 802.11AC wireless bridge? It would be much easier to change in the future. They also usually offer better speeds from my experience. You would be surprised how much RF interference is inside a PC. I haven't seen a properly shielded wifi card since regular PCI was the standard.

I'm an idiot. I have no idea why I didn't think about that!

I'm an idiot. I have no idea why I didn't think about that!
Lol, I wouldn't say you are an idiot for it. We'll just say you thought you would prefer an internal card till you found out what a PITA they can be.

I'm a big fan of a decent wireless bridge for a desktop. I usually get the ones that have a 4 port switch so I can hook up a network printer and a second PC like a laptop. Having the ability to have a wired laptop gives you the ability to have wired speeds between the laptop and desktop. You can also hook your non-dual-band console up to the bridge via Ethernet too.

I haven't used an AC bridge before but I did have an A/N dual band bridge that I liked a lot. It was a Linksys (BARF!), and it's the only Linksys product I've ever liked. It lasted a long time and worked really well. The only reason I'm not using it now is because I moved and ran 4x CAT5e to every room. I personally wouldn't hesitate buying their AC one right now.

Back