Are there any good angled HDMI cables out there?

Rev. Night

[H]ard|Gawd
So for my hanging case build, I need right angle HDMI dongle extension because its a much cleaner look. I have tried a few on Amazon (Poyiccot) but I keep getting flickering. The cables clearly suck. The issue is that there doesn't seem to be any reliable brands.

What does [H] use?

EDIT:
Ok I will fully explain what I am doing and why. I have my HTPC mounted on a wall adjacent to the TV. To connect cables between these two, and to hide them, I installed PVC pipe behind the wall, mounted onto studs. The HTPC is mounted onto a cross beam that I inserted.

I don't want the HDMI cable sticking out of the gpu like a sore thumb. I want it neatly tucked away, and the best way to do that is put it behind the graphics card. The way the gpu is mounted on the case, a right (270 degree) hdmi extension is needed to do that. This extension goes to its right (from our pov, it looks like it goes straight up towards the ceiling) and is tucked away behind the gpu. There, the main 15 foot HDMI cable is plugged into it, which goes into the case, behind the wall, down the tv mount, into the tv.

Attachments

• PXL_20231223_004415419.jpg
    PXL_20231223_004415419.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231223_004438277.jpg
    PXL_20231223_004438277.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231223_004506426.jpg
    PXL_20231223_004506426.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230929_204744492.jpg
    PXL_20230929_204744492.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231223_004446463.jpg
    PXL_20231223_004446463.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231223_004540826.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231223_004540826.MP.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231223_011723928.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231223_011723928.MP.jpg
    693.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Honestly, I've never had an issue with any of the HDMI cables I got off the shelf at the local computer store. The most I've spent is $10-$20 CAD maybe? It's been a while since I've had to buy one but I've always just bought generic or house brand cables, and I've never felt even the "cheap" HDMI cables have caused me an issue. I mean it's a digital signal.

Maybe the ones on Amazon were some cheap offshore junk that was just out of spec and/or poorly made?

yeah those are up and down. I need right angle

also those are the same brand (Poyiccot) that I said sucked in my OP. The reviews are saying so too

Last edited:
yeah those are up and down. I need right angle

also those are the same brand (Poyiccot) that I said sucked in my OP. The reviews are saying so too
both of those are right angle(90s are right angles)... which direction you actually need? use the pics in the second link to show us or paint if you have to...
you also said "dongle" so i assumed "adapter", those are both solid cables and should work fine, once we figure out which direction you need...

both of those are right angle(90s are right angles)... which direction you actually need? use the pics in the second link to show us or paint if you have to...
you also said "dongle" so i assumed "adapter", those are both solid cables and should work fine, once we figure out which direction you need...

I don't know how to explain, but I think he wants a 90 degree where the whole thing remain flat, so it's 90 degrees the long way instead of the short way. So when it's sticking in the port it hangs straight down not straight back/front.

Like this direction I'm guessing? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4859&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PMax+|+Offers+|+Early+Black+Friday+|+Monoprice&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&hsa_acc=6614305189&hsa_cam=20730153318&hsa_grp=&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgrCvlqmkgwMVxbqGCh3vfga7EAQYBSABEgL9dvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreatio...=right+angle+hdmi+cable&qid=1703292094&sr=8-6

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
this is one of the options on the second link i posted
1703292271926.png

Ok so I just updated the OP with everything I am doing.

The cable you posted is 4k@60. I want one that is 4k@120. Alot of the reviews are saying that anything 120 (1440, 4k) result in flickering

edit: that monoprice adapter may work. Still shows too much hdmi cable, but if it works, then very well. Ill give it a try

edit 2:
too many reviews were saying it flickered at 120. These below, the amazon reviews are saying 120 does work.
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...097CJVHVH/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited:
No, I haven't. The reason is converting signals often is more trouble than it's worth

I have used & am currently using several uGreen & Monoprice cables with a 90 degree connector end on one side & straight one on the other for many years, across 7 different gammin computer/HTPC set-ups in my house neveranottaproblemo :)

I always stay away from dongles/adapters/extensions etc if at all possible, because they are just another potential point of failure

Whatever cable you buy, be sure the Bandwidth specs are 48Gbps, which is hdmi 2.1 compatible, and the best HDMI that is currently available.

I've used Zeskit hdmi cables from Amazon for years and it fixed a signal quality issue for me. With the old cable there would be missing pixels, or what appeared to be a light static in the image. Resolved after getting their 48Gbps cable, before the hdmi 2.1 spec was even finalized. But they don't have any cables with angled connectors, so you will be trying adapter roulette I suspect. Cablematters does make an HDMI angled adapter that shows 48Gbps in the spec, so that is what I would try if you want to stick with the HDMI output on the video card.

*** Displayport cable route, a bit more complicated but also potentially more future proof ***
An adapter for displayport to hdmi might be a good idea too, then you can run a displayport cable to the TV, and adapter it behind the TV. That way when you get a new TV, if it has displayport input, you can just switch to that easily by removing the adapter.

The best HDMI cables max out at 48Gbps bandwidth, Displayport goes up to 77Gbps. Displayport cable specs:

High Bit Rate 3 (HBR3) 25.92 Gbps 4K @ 120 Hz, 8K @ 60 Hz with DSC DSC=Digital Signal Compression. (HDMI cables rated for 32Gbps are supposed to be able to do 4k/144, but the 48Gbps is best bet for removing artifacts)
Ultra High Bit Rate (UHBR) 77.36 Gbps 8K/60 Hz

There are 2 older Displayport cable speeds, so again, be sure to check the bandwidth specs on any cable you buy. The displayport cable will last probably forever, so the adapter would be the only part you might upgrade for 8k at some point.
On Amazon, reviews stated that the CableMatters brand does work, and resolved their flickering issues.

Search Amazon for:

Cable Matters 8K DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 Adapter with 4K 120Hz / 8K 60Hz, 48 Gbps Unidirectional DisplayPort to HDMI 2.1 Cable Adapter​

and pair that with a 77Gbps displayport cable with an angled connector, you should be good.
Monoprice doesn't seem to have any high speed displayport cables.
Amazon has this for high speed displayport:

Zeskit DisplayPort 2.1 Cable DP80 80Gpbs, 3ft​

But no angled connectors on them. You might try an angled displayport adapter that says 4k/144 supported. But that is going to take some digging and probably multiple tries, more adapter roulette. I would just find 3 or 4 that look like they should work without 1 star reviews saying they flicker, and just try them all and return any that flicker. I think if you could find a displayport angled adapter that has good bandwidth, that would be a nice long term solution.

Last edited:
What about just a HDMI 2.1 slim cable then you can twist it the way you need it? Just thinking you could get a tighter radius than something like an adapter maybe?

What about just a HDMI 2.1 slim cable then you can twist it the way you need it?
NOT no...
NOT hell no....
But F*ck NO.....

Just get the correct cable to begin with & be happy, unless you wanna be like all those folks who fell for the RTX 4xxx power cable melting nonsense :)

Back