Are there any android tablets that work well outdoors?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I have went through a lot of tablets looking for one that works well outside. And quite frankly, have not succeeded. Do you guys know of any that do work outdoors for tv show watching, etc?

You need a unit with good anti-glare coating and a very bright backlight. I work at a place where we do a lot of mobile device deployments and some of our guys work in the field. Our two top-end tablets (Google Pixel C and Apple iPad Pro) both have good performance outdoors, but as you go cheaper on the scale, the features that allow for good usage in direct sunlight are some of the first ones cut to save on cost. If you come to our office for a tablet recommendation and are going to be outside, we will recommend the Pixel C or the iPad Pro. I know there are some great screens from Samsung these days too, but we don't have any Samsung tablets at this time, so perhaps someone else can weigh in.

In general, start on the premium end and work your way down. If cost is an issue, look for last-generation models. Current models with mid-range pricing are usually going to be mediocre at best in direct sunlight.

You need a unit with good anti-glare coating and a very bright backlight. I work at a place where we do a lot of mobile device deployments and some of our guys work in the field. Our two top-end tablets (Google Pixel C and Apple iPad Pro) both have good performance outdoors, but as you go cheaper on the scale, the features that allow for good usage in direct sunlight are some of the first ones cut to save on cost. If you come to our office for a tablet recommendation and are going to be outside, we will recommend the Pixel C or the iPad Pro. I know there are some great screens from Samsung these days too, but we don't have any Samsung tablets at this time, so perhaps someone else can weigh in.

In general, start on the premium end and work your way down. If cost is an issue, look for last-generation models. Current models with mid-range pricing are usually going to be mediocre at best in direct sunlight.

What I have now is a Samsung galaxy S2 9.7". I had the Pixel C, but the wifi was killing me. And I do not feel that this tablet is fantastic outside either. Maybe if I were to buy an anti glare screen cover that might help you think?

Nothing is going to work as well as a Paper White or Nook. Try to avoid the sun behind you.

I totally forgot about Kindle. If it will work for what you need, nothing else comes close in direct sunlight.

I totally forgot about Kindle. If it will work for what you need, nothing else comes close in direct sunlight.

This is mainly for TV shows and Movies. I figure the Kindle's are made for reading only basically. Or am I incorrect?

This is mainly for TV shows and Movies. I figure the Kindle's are made for reading only basically. Or am I incorrect?

The Kindle has a black and white screen, it's for reading.

If the Pixel C or the iPad Pro don't cut the mustard for you, I'm not sure what to suggest other than perhaps avoiding trying to watch TV in direct sunlight. A tablet needs an incredibly powerful backlight in order to counter the direct light of the sun and the glare from the reflection. The 9.7" iPad Pro has the best screen of any mobile device I've ever used and it's still washed out by the sun.

The Kindle has a black and white screen, it's for reading.

If the Pixel C or the iPad Pro don't cut the mustard for you, I'm not sure what to suggest other than perhaps avoiding trying to watch TV in direct sunlight. A tablet needs an incredibly powerful backlight in order to counter the direct light of the sun and the glare from the reflection. The 9.7" iPad Pro has the best screen of any mobile device I've ever used and it's still washed out by the sun.

I actually watch them indoors. But at work, we have a lot of windows open and the glare makes it hard to see the show if they have a darker scene. So I struggle to make anything out. Would a matte skin protector possibly help?

Back