Are there any 20" widescreen IPS monitors on the market now?

Good question.
Although, I was under the impression the lottery is dead and that the latest Dell 2007WFP were all shipping as S-IPS.
And even if there weren't any other S-IPS monitors shipping in that size/price range, I'm very interested in seeing how some of the recent TN panels are measuring up, like the LG 226W, which along with having a very high contrast ratio, nice response time, is also said to be true 8-bit. With the proposed specs of that monitor I'm finding it hard to see any real advantage to the 2007WFP S-IPS.

The Dell lottery is still alive and well from what I can tell...the only guaranteed IPS in the 20" size would be the AS-IPS in the NEC 20WMGX2. If you want to play another lottery then the Acer Ferrari F-20 is either S-IPS or P-MVA. I played both the Dell and Acer lotteries and won both on my first try.:cool:

Thanx, everybody.

I really don't like Apple products, and 20wgx2 has a glossy screen, which i'm trying to avoid. Besides that and a little high brightness, it would be just perfect for me. Ah, if only there wasn't that Dell lottery...

Are there any new IPS monitors comming soon?

Ivan®;1031040121 said:
Thanx, everybody.

I really don't like Apple products, and 20wgx2 has a glossy screen, which i'm trying to avoid. Besides that and a little high brightness, it would be just perfect for me. Ah, if only there wasn't that Dell lottery...

Doubtful...only hardcore nerds like us know or care about the difference between TN, PVA and the more expensive IPS panels. Size seems to be more important to the average consumer..hence the popularity of TN panel 22" monitors.

Ivan®;1031040121 said:
Thanx, everybody.

If you are going to get a 20 inch wide with IPS i would do it soon cause I doubt they will be around much longer. LG-Phillips just decided to discontinue the 19 inch 4:3 and there are only 3 manufacters using the 20 wide panel so I could see that one being discontued also.

Why are 20" monitors becoming so unpopular? I know 22" models can be had for a small increase in price, but surely the lower pixel pitch used in the former yields better quality pictures and less jaggies in games.

Why are 20" monitors becoming so unpopular? I know 22" models can be had for a small increase in price, but surely the lower pixel pitch used in the former yields better quality pictures and less jaggies in games.
Maybe because S-IPS 22" monitors are extremely hard to find.

@ OP,
If you want a matte 20" S-IPS monitor, I'd say the HP LP2065 is the best, but it's not widescreen as you requested. It's a 1600x1200 4:3 screen. I own one and I love it. Best LCD gaming monitor I've ever seen.

Maybe its the response time that is usually advertised with 22". I mean gamers want zero ghosting, right?

Maybe its the response time that is usually advertised with 22". I mean gamers want zero ghosting, right?

S'pose, but the NEC 20WMGX2 has, pretty much, the best response time out of all of the consumer monitors available. That, coupled with an aftermarket height adjustable stand, makes it one of the most perfect monitors - that's what i think, anway.

Wouldn't that deter people from buying 22" monitors, not 20" monitors where one can get an S-IPS panel?
Read my post above about the vast majority of buyers not knowing or caring....next time you're at work or school ask any random person if they prefer IPS or TN panels in their lcd.;)

Read my post above about the vast majority of buyers not knowing or caring....next time you're at work or school ask any random person if they prefer IPS or TN panels in their lcd.;)

Heh, that's a point. It's a pitty more display companies don't cater for enthusiast's needs.

If you are going to get a 20 inch wide with IPS i would do it soon cause I doubt they will be around much longer. LG-Phillips just decided to discontinue the 19 inch 4:3 and there are only 3 manufacters using the 20 wide panel so I could see that one being discontued also.

I was afraid of that. That would be Dell, NEC and Apple I take it? I was thinking of getting a second 20" soon anyway.

I am happy with the NEC and would get a second one - that is if I don't want to get a NEC 24 (and if I run dual set-up I dont want bigger than 20"). I would get a cheapie Dell 20 to use as a vertical monitor but it took me 2 months, 2 dozens phone calls and about 40 hours to get a Dell 2007WFP with S-PVA panel returned and my money back. I have seen the NEC at $519 US at Newegg and considering how much better the NEC is built I can't see getting a Dell even if I know it will be S-IPS (and I won't be able to know). I think I would get the shakes dialing that Dell number to buy something lol.

joemama is still alive and going strong in the display boards i see :)
I bought the glossy 20wmgx2 and I have to say i still love it after all this time and totally recommend it to anyone considering the 20 inch level. In the store i thought wow that thing might be blinding bright because it did stand out next the the others they had but to be honest i find it seems totally normal at home and not bright at all i really really really love this monitor and the colours are so rich and vivid its just amazing so unless you totally hate the glossy screen i say get a NEC 20wmgx2 and you won't regret it.

LONG LIVE JOEMAMA THE GLOSSY KING lol

Back