Are people who buy AMD cards losing on a smooth gameplay experience?

On release ,Skyrim didn't have pc optimization flags when compiled.Physics engine closely tied to fps... If stuttering on specific hardware hasn t been fixed by bethesda yet it probably never will.
Other than running the game on ramdisk or modding the config , using ENBoost or capping the fps like you did not awhole lot more to do.

Getting off topic OP.... oops

Key reason I have been playing more and more on the One and 360 I have bought this year. I enjoy my computer with the R9 290X and FX 8350 and it plays great most of the time. (Issues like with the Need for Speed Most Wanted newest version is just crazy though.) Herky, jerky play after about 30 minutes.

On release ,Skyrim didn't have pc optimization flags when compiled.Physics engine closely tied to fps... If stuttering on specific hardware hasn t been fixed by bethesda yet it probably never will.
Right, which is why the option to enable metering in the driver for games like this would be nice...

Other than running the game on ramdisk or modding the config , using ENBoost or capping the fps like you did not awhole lot more to do.
Well, if metering were an option for single-cards, I could do that ;)

After I installed Win 7 and my drivers again slow downs in some dungeons in Skyrim don't feel as bad.
According to AB sometimes my card is dropping down to 22% load in narrow tunnels in dungeons. That is
probably causing the feeling of lag. I've tried it @ stock speed and with +20% power; it doesn't make a difference.
At least all outdoor areas and most dungeons are fine. The problem I'm encountering seems to be with some narrow
tunnels.

I usually use SweetFX with SMAA. I've tried it without that and it makes no difference as well. I've not had
problems with "stutter" and Cat 14.6, just what I've described. Wish I could "lock" my clock at a certain speed.

Losing out on smooth gameplay experience????

Previous to my 7970, I had a pair of 6870s. With the 6870s, there were some games that I had to tweak settings to get stuff to be really smooth.

With the 7970 @ 1080p, I can pretty much turn everything up to max (I don't use AA very much) and so far everything I have tried is super smooth.

Also, as much as people like to say otherwise, RAM speed does make a difference. It may not make the FPS go up that much, but it can smooth things out quite a bit in certain games.

Another thing that helps is to set your CPU to always run at max speed. You can do this with the power settings in Windows. Not having the CPU speed jumping all over the place makes a huge difference in games as well as pretty much everything else.

Another thing that helps is to set your CPU to always run at max speed. You can do this with the power settings in Windows. Not having the CPU speed jumping all over the place makes a huge difference in games as well as pretty much everything else.
Variable CPU clock shouldn't really be an issue. If a game is putting any kind of load on your CPU, Speedstep/CnQ will clock your CPU up to full-speed and leave it there.

Variable GPU speed has caused me grief, though. I went ahead and flashed my GTX 780 so that it runs at a fixed clockspeed in 3D mode (rather than scaling based on load), which made a large difference in games that are sensitive to clockspeed variation.

AMD's cards have tended to be better bang for the buck, work just fine nowadays. Crossfire stuttering has been fixed and on par with SLI now.
Three reasons to own AMD........and this is coming from a recently "Team Green" person that I was.

1) 290x is cheap, just don't get the stock cooler
2) AMD owns the BF4 benchmarks
3) "Mantle" is better than DX11, so if a game supports it, (BF4), you'll run even faster

I appreciate power saving features too because they help keep a card cool and quiet
however a card shouldn't be dropping to 22% in a game except on a load screen.

It wasn't the CPU causing the issue. If I forced off the 60 vsync Skyrim wants to run, load in the
problematic dungeon tunnels would increase to 46-51% from 22. I don't run the game like that
because of tearing and physics will go nuts indoors with vsync off.

Anyway, it's come to my attention if I set AB's UnofficialOverclockingMode to 2, it will force
the clock I apply to be run constantly; that squashed the lag in some narrow tunnels in Skyrim's
dungeons.

Last edited:
Back