Are OS X install disks machine specific?

sum ASM required

Limp Gawd
I want to put at least panther on this imac 400 I got (for garageband) So I want to get it cheap. Some of the discs on ebay like for emacs are dirt cheap, but will they install on my imac?

Or can anyone provide me with a copy (compensated of course) of panther that will be installed?

Fairly new to this mac ownership thing.

not sure what the "no" up there is for, you do want to be sure you get CD's and not a dvd, since afaik those G3's only had CDroms. Also garage band will most likely run like crap on that machine, just a warning, but good luck with it anyhow, it's an awesome program.

Actually, the install DVD for my 15" Aluminum Rev D Powerbook would not work with my roommate's 15" Titanium Powerbook. Garageband was the specific application we tried (not the entire OS), so YMMV. I wouldn't guarantee it working though. In my case it specifically came with a message saying not valid on this hardware or the like.

Yeah I think he was referring to the restore discs since he was looking at an eMac specific disc on eBay.

Kris said:
Restore discs as machine specific. Retail OS X discs are not
Is that machine specific as in as long as the models match, or is there anything more unique being checked? I'm just curious, as i was trying to re-install Tiger on an Aluminum PB using a restore DVD from a newer Scrollpad PB, which didn't work. Using a generic retail disc, like you say, did the trick though. ...Just curious as to exactly what it's looking for to determine that it's okay to install the software.

DatHak512 said:
Is that machine specific as in as long as the models match, or is there anything more unique being checked? I'm just curious, as i was trying to re-install Tiger on an Aluminum PB using a restore DVD from a newer Scrollpad PB, which didn't work. Using a generic retail disc, like you say, did the trick though. ...Just curious as to exactly what it's looking for to determine that it's okay to install the software.
I don't think it matters like serial number comparisons, however; I believe the models have to be identical. I've seen restore discs specific to screen size as well.

Back