Are any of the 30" LCDs without backlight bleeding?

cheesetogo

Weaksauce
I had been considering purchasing a 3007WFP for a long time, but after reading several reviews it appeared that they usually have pretty heavy backlight bleeding. I know that a number of other 30" monitors use this same panel, so I imagine that they would have similar issues. Are there any 30" LCDs without common backlight bleeding?

On another note, I'm looking for suggestions on reasonably priced 20" 4:3 LCDs (ideally IPS panels).

my 3007 refurb isnt bad at all for 820shipped. Theres 1 stuck pixel thats so small i can barley find even when looking for it. And the power button doesnt work half the time but the panals great.

Are there any 30" LCDs without common backlight bleeding?

No, there are no 30" monitors with 100% guaranteed uniform BL.
Buy them from a vendor with good return policy.
Try to see them in a store (MicroCenter).

Haven't noticed any bleeding on my HP LP3065. Guess I'm either lucky or don't have the eyes for it...

Black levels on the other hand...

Some monitors just need to be broken in... The backlight bleed seems to go away after a few days of usage!!

Some monitors just need to be broken in... The backlight bleed seems to go away after a few days of usage!!

Thanks for the advice...I went ahead and bought the 3007WFP because I was able to get a great price for it, so maybe this will save me from returning it.

Hopefully LED?

LED backlight can still have bleeding and you also need to deal with "blooming" effect.

The LED backlight forms a grid behind the LCD panel. Let's assume each LED section illuminates 128 x 128 pixels, that means for a 1920 x 1200 resolution monitor there will be about 140 LED sections in the entire grid. Each section can be turned off and turned on to maximum brightness (and everything in between).

"Blooming" occurs when something is displayed on the screen which is either whiter or darker than what surrounds it. If it is darker than the surrounding area, then the LED section(s) in the affected area will be dimmed. Or get brighter if the object being displayed is brighter.

Here's a simple, yet extreme example. You are watching a movie and the scene takes place in total darkness. This means the entire LED grid will be turned off. Imagine a single very bright circular light turns on somewhere in the scene.

In the worst possible condition the circle of light is dead center on 4 LED grid sections. Those 4 sections will turn on while all other LEDs are kept off. What you could see a mostly black screen, with a dark gray box, and a bright white circle in the center of the dark gray box.

LED backlight can still have bleeding and you also need to deal with "blooming" effect.

The LED backlight forms a grid behind the LCD panel. Let's assume each LED section illuminates 128 x 128 pixels, that means for a 1920 x 1200 resolution monitor there will be about 140 LED sections in the entire grid. Each section can be turned off and turned on to maximum brightness (and everything in between).

"Blooming" occurs when something is displayed on the screen which is either whiter or darker than what surrounds it. If it is darker than the surrounding area, then the LED section(s) in the affected area will be dimmed. Or get brighter if the object being displayed is brighter.

Here's a simple, yet extreme example. You are watching a movie and the scene takes place in total darkness. This means the entire LED grid will be turned off. Imagine a single very bright circular light turns on somewhere in the scene.

In the worst possible condition the circle of light is dead center on 4 LED grid sections. Those 4 sections will turn on while all other LEDs are kept off. What you could see a mostly black screen, with a dark gray box, and a bright white circle in the center of the dark gray box.

What you're describing doesn't apply to current computer monitors with an LED backlight. All LEDs are lit at the same intensity in monitors. Some TVs use the scheme that you're describing, but not monitors.

What you're describing doesn't apply to current computer monitors with an LED backlight. All LEDs are lit at the same intensity in monitors. Some TVs use the scheme that you're describing, but not monitors.

+1, Gotta love the Samsung XL30 though. It's one kick ass monitor.

Back