Are 8TB HDD's less reiable then say smaller HDD's ?

Subzerok11

Gawd
I currently got two 4TB's HDD's but I would like to get a 8TB so it would be more convenient having all my data on one drive. Was just wondering if these big monsters have more of a chance of failing on me then say my 4TB or even a 2TB for that matter. Of coarse that's if I don't get a DOA or a defective unit, I'm talking like months later, years later down the road. Also this unit is only $230 which is pretty low cost for what your getting for storage. The one I'm looking at is this one:

Seagate Archive HDD v2 ST8000AS0002 8TB 5900 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

According to the reviews it's got 51% rating but I don't pay attention to those ratings, I've always bought the most popular HDD's in the past and many of them had ratings around 50%. I've also seen that some of the 8TB HDD's have helium but this doesn't.

I've got four in my UnRaid backup server and they have been running fine the past two months, server is on 24/7. I always do one pre clear pass on my drives when I buy them before I deploy them, its a plugin available on UnRaid and it does a pre read, zero then post read on a drive, you can do as many cycles as you like, but one takes about two and a half days to complete on my server. So far I am impressed with them and will continue to buy more until the WD Red comes down in price.

You don't want an "Archive" drive for regular use.. It reads and rewrites data over and over because of how it works, with each write destroying the data around it forcing it to be corrected. making it MUCH slower: Seagate uses shingled magnetic recording to break capacity barrier, 5TB HDDs coming in 2014 | ExtremeTech

Archive drives are for just that: archives that you rarely write to. (eg: backups) If you want a large drive for regular use, get one that doesn't use SMR. eg: seagate ST8000DM002

review here: Seagate Archive HDD Review (8TB) | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
This would be just for backing up stuff to once in a while, it would be placed in my case along with the 2TB that has my OS on it. I turn on my PC and off once a day by the way. So I think for what I need it for it would suit me good...correct ?

You don't want an "Archive" drive for regular use.. It reads and rewrites data over and over because of how it works, with each write destroying the data around it forcing it to be corrected. making it MUCH slower: Seagate uses shingled magnetic recording to break capacity barrier, 5TB HDDs coming in 2014 | ExtremeTech

Archive drives are for just that: archives that you rarely write to. (eg: backups) If you want a large drive for regular use, get one that doesn't use SMR. eg: seagate ST8000DM002

review here: Seagate Archive HDD Review (8TB) | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

So is this HDD also made the same way (shingled magnetic recording) as the one I talked about in my first post ? Could this one be used more for everyday stuff...

Seagate Desktop HDD ST8000DM002 8TB 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

Also it doesn't say if it's 7200rpm or not, by the way would this be much better then the original one I mentioned ? I kinda just want a traditional based tech HDD. There's the WD Black 6TB 7200 but 6TB's just isn't enough, they don't make a 8TB yet.

Thanks

Last edited:
The ST8000DM002 is 7200RPM and is not an SMR drive. You can use it as a normal desktop drive.

Reactions: LazN
like this
Okay just to make sure all following HDD's are 7200 pmr and not smr correct ? Thanks

WD Black 6TB
ST6000DM001 6TB
ST8000DM002 8TB

So your are sure they are all pmr's but not sure if they are all 7200's ?

I went to Seagates spec page and it has all the specs but they don't say the rpm's isn't that mess up.

http://www.seagate.com/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/desktop-hdd-8tbDS1770-9-1603US-en_US.pdf

Not too surprising, they are probably lower RPM, but with high data density are still probably fairly fast.

The thing is 16TB SSDs already exist at the extremely high end, and postage stamp single chip 512GB SSDs at the low end as well. Unless you need your storage now, I plan to wait and go to an SSD based NAS in a year or so, and live with my current all SSD PC and 6TB HD based NAS till then.

I plan to wait and go to an SSD based NAS in a year or so

I believe / expect these will still have enterprise only pricing for years to come. Although I wish I would be wrong on this..

Last edited:
Not too surprising, they are probably lower RPM, but with high data density are still probably fairly fast.

The thing is 16TB SSDs already exist at the extremely high end, and postage stamp single chip 512GB SSDs at the low end as well. Unless you need your storage now, I plan to wait and go to an SSD based NAS in a year or so, and live with my current all SSD PC and 6TB HD based NAS till then.

Come on, no way will that be affordable to the average Joe. A 2TB SSD is still 670$, wait like 5 years maybe.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147441&ignorebbr=1

16 TB is a different animal however. The manufacturers may consider this an enterprise only product (with enterprise pricing) for a very long time.

It depends on demand, as costs of MFG go down (already a 512GB SSD is a single chip, so WAY cheaper to make than a HDD) there will become less reason to make HDDs that cost more to make, and are less reliable.

So if there is a demand for a 16GB SSD in the consumer space, it will eventually get there. I am not going to predict when, and that is bigger than most people need currently, but I would not be surprised to see large (4TB+) ssds in the mid time frame.

There may be a drop of SSD prices when 3D Xpoint finally starts hitting the market in decent quantities. However, I don't know that I see SSDs reducing much beyond that anytime soon. Companies will start having to make choices between using their current SSD setups or trying to convert over to 3D Xpoint technology in the long run.

As for Xpoint Intel wants to at least initially limit the supply in order to make a large profit.

As for Xpoint Intel wants to at least initially limit the supply in order to make a large profit.

I don't think that is really their strategy, remember also its a collaboration with Micron. The initial quantities will be low because their initial introduction to the market seems to target servers specifically. It may be a little bit of time before they start developing more solutions for consumers. My current project is watching this very closely as we plan to buy as much 3D Xpoint memory/storage as we can.

Its not certain that higher platter density translate into higher speeds. My 5Tb Toshiba gets 220MB speeds but my 8TB WDC only gets 180MB because it is 5400rpm. But it is better than lower density drives. Better performance and reliability is what matters now. Stuttering and garbage collection during use is not acceptable.

Back