Arctic Cooling NV silencer 5 for NVidia 6800 GPUs $30.95

Gundamit

Limp Gawd
This isn't much of a bargain since the MSRP is $30. But they are in stock at this very moment at SidewinderComputers. Got one for my PNY 6800 GT. Maybe it'll clock slightly higher than its current 425/1110 and push some of that hot air out of the case. Shipping at $8.50 almost killed this deal for me. NewEgg stil has them in stock at $56 +$6 shipping! Have they lost thier minds?

I'm actually more interested in the NV4 cooler since my 5950 runs crazy hot on City of Heroes. Looks like it''ll be a while before that one makes it out though. It'll be interesting to see how they cool the memory on the back of the card. None of the promotional pictures give a clear indication of how they'll accomplish that. Almost looks like they have an arcylic part on the back in some pics, although the attached picture only shows the copper memory cooler.
NV4Back.JPG

Just bought NV Silencer 5 and a Vantec Tornado fan from them. Total with Shipping was under $55, which is less than just the price of the Silencer from Newegg.

And their reseller rating is 9.71. Pretty damn good.

Thanks for the deal.

Thanks for the link. I was looking for one last week - every place was out of stock except Newegg with their gouging.

PCUnleash has a review
here that tested the 6800GT with the Ultra stock heatsink/fan against the NV5 Silencer. The 6800 GT actually ran hotter with the NV5. Why they tested the GT with the Ultra cooler I have no idea. The only thing a Ultra owner might gain with the NV5 looks like a quieter video card, albeit at a hotter temps. :confused:

Becoming said:
here is a review with completely different results. interesting i think. this one convinced me to snag a silencer once i get my 6800gt in. http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=vgasilencer
NV5 on the Ultra card was 1c cooler on idle and 3c cooler at load. Is that enough reason for Ultra owners to plunk down $30? Not to mention Ultra owners will have to figure out how to mod the back plate on thier cards to blow air out the back of the case.

GT owners on the other hand will see dramatic gains.

sidewinder is a good company, i've bought from them many times in the past. i got my 190cfm delta from them and boy was i impressed. shipping is usually pretty quick too.

as for the cooler itself, i wish the freaking shuttles were made to accomodate these because i'd like to get rid of my current vid card fan as it's the loudest thing in the case (6800gt)

Kudos to sidewinder, they roX0r. Is that cooler performing for you?

Well I can only go by my experience, I have the Leadtech 6800 GT which has the ultra heatsink on it and my temps have dropped 5 to 10 degrees with the NV silencer 5. But hell I would plonk down the 30 bucks again just for the silence..... and I mean silence.... I've got a very quiet system and a low tolerance for noise..... Quality product at a bargain price for what you get!

Hmm I may get one. Is it easy to put on? The last ones had alot scared to put them on.

Gundamit said:
PCUnleash has a review
here that tested the 6800GT with the Ultra stock heatsink/fan against the NV5 Silencer. The 6800 GT actually ran hotter with the NV5. Why they tested the GT with the Ultra cooler I have no idea. The only thing a Ultra owner might gain with the NV5 looks like a quieter video card, albeit at a hotter temps. :confused:

...and a quote from the site...

"Note: I forgot to mention it on the review: Silencer was 8degrees lower than the reference 6800GT cooler. (1 slot) All the comparison above was done for 2 slot 6800coolers. "

I bought two, one for my son's 6800GT and one for the wife's 6800GT. I plan on using water to cool my 6800U once I step up to it with eVga. I'll let you all know how they perform with Ceramique applied instead of the supplied silicon based TC.

Installation, easy peasy japanesy! yes 2 slot.... but so was the Leadtech heatsink because they use the ultra heatsink on the GT.... so from my experience Ultra owners have a lot to gain in lower noise and temps

And even if the Ultra owners only got a couple of degrees, how can that be a bad thing with total silence thrown in? Ever used a Zalman silencer? hot and expensive!

My NV5 won't arrive until later this week I suppose. Before it arrives I'd like to figure out what to do with the thermal pads that sit on the memory. They're kind of thick. I imagine I'm just suppose to throw them away since the coppper on the heatsink will seat flush with the memory chips. No one plans on keeping them in place with the NV5 right? :confused:

Just got an email apologising for being out of stock and they hoped to have more by the begining of next week. Im keeping my order with them - if no problem with companies being sincere about the issue, plus they offered free shipping once it does arrive.

:eek: Holy Crap! Free shipping? I would have waited had I known. No wonder this company has such a high resellerrating!

Meanwhile Newegg has sold out even at their $62 shipping included price. Can even Lord Mohg still be happy about NewEgg? :rolleyes:

Gundamit said:
:eek: Holy Crap! Free shipping? I would have waited had I known. No wonder this company has such a high resellerrating!
Yep they are top notch. I just got off the phone with him and he hopes to receive a bigger shipment next week. So, hopefully they come in next week, and you gotta love 1 day free shipping ( about 25 miles away).

Gundamit said:
This isn't much of a bargain since the MSRP is $30.
............ push some of that hot air out of the case. ...........

NV4Back.JPG

I may be wrong but the direction of the fan looks like it sucks air into the case!?

OPUS1 said:
I may be wrong but the direction of the fan looks like it sucks air into the case!?

Nope. it takes air from the case, blows it across the aluminum heatsink fins, and directs the warm air outside the case.

Just got my cooler in the mail. Very heavy in a nicely packaged shipping box. Feel better about the postage now. :)

Got my cooler installed yesterday. Just one important tip to those who have yet to install the cooler. The instructions specifically say to apply a thick wad of thermal grease to the memory chips and a thin one to the VPU. I thought they did this because the memory coolers sat off a little bit to make sure the VPU came into contact first. More margin for error cooling your memory than your VPU I supposed. Well my cooler actually sat flush against the memory chips. When I laid on a thick coat of AC5 on the memory ( I know not a good idea since using AC5 on memory chips) I could net get good contact with the VPU. My intial tests with the card were dissapointing so I pulled the cooler back off and found the contact patch was only about 60% of the VPU. The side of the VPU that sits closer to the memory didn't have a good contact. I then used the thin coat of the enclosed thermal grease on the memory and AC5 on the VPU, cranked down the screws a little more (squeezing the rubber washers more than just a little) then puttled it back off to verify I had a good contact patch. I did. Cleaned off and reapplied the thermal compunds yet again and put the card back in. This time I got a drop of 5c at load from my stock baseline. :)

If I had to do it again I would:

1. Check the memory contact visually before applying any compound. If the memory is flush only put on a thin coating.

2. Test the thermal contact patch by applying a "test coat" on the memory and VPU, putting the cooler on, then taking it off to visually inspect for full contact.

3. If everything looks good clean off and reapply the compounds and cooler and put it back in your rig. If the contact patch on the memory is less than great but the VPU is good you might have to apply a thicker coat to the memory per the instructions. If the memory looks good but the VPU isn't 100% and tightening the nuts further may damage your card, you might be looking at a RMA due to manufacturing tolerrances not being very good. You also might consider lapping the memory pads untill they drop a little so your VPU is able to sit flush against the coolers. Since the VPU sits a little bit higher of even with it's shim, taking that off won't help.

Hopefully will save some others from having to mount their video card coolers multiple times. Unless you're into that sort of thing ... ;)

Back