Approximate PPDs please - damn we fold HARD!

wurmy

Limp Gawd
Congrats to the team.

I used to be (back in the day) ranked way higher than I am now, but between then and now, I've always been folding at least modestly.

So, on a whim because I'm an old-school CPU folder that just started GPU folding, can I get some yells out to help me kick more butt?

What I'm looking at is just the major stuff and how big the ranges are for PPD for the following and how much electricity gets sucked up:

1) PS3 - I could use it for blu-ray playback.
2) ATI 48x - I'm doing non-gaming stuff and have non-folding uses for a box if I add a card.
3) Ancient 2.5 GHz P4 equivalent - I can borg modestly.

And, as always thanks in advance for any replies!

What I'm looking at is just the major stuff and how big the ranges are for PPD for the following and how much electricity gets sucked up:

1) PS3 - I could use it for blu-ray playback.
2) ATI 48x - I'm doing non-gaming stuff and have non-folding uses for a box if I add a card.
3) Ancient 2.5 GHz P4 equivalent - I can borg modestly.

1) PS3
  • 200 watts (Older model)
  • 115 watts (Newer Model)
  • About 900 Points Per Day

2) ATI 4850 GPU
  • Standard ATI 4850 - 110 watts at 100% GPU Load
  • HIS 4850 ICEQ Turbo - 83 watts at 100% GPU Load
    (There are other non-refrence cards that use less / more power then stock design cards)
  • About 3000 Points Per Day on Current Core
    (GPU Points Per Day have been going up with each core improvment)

3) 2.5 GHz P4

• Power Usage would depend on Total System Specs & Power Supply Quailty
  • Approx 100 - 400 Points Per Day Depending on Work Unit

Hey, glad to see you posting wurmy :D

I don't know much about the PS3, because I've never had one and ,not being a gammer, I probably never will have one. :(

As I said above I'm no gammer so my knowledge of video cards is about as extensive as hair on a frog (which is nil) :eek:

ATM I only have 2x 24/7 boxen :(. My E6600 and eVGA 9600GSO mobo finally went "belly up". I'm waiting on a OCZ Game Stream 700W PSU and deciding on a multi PCIe mobo to install the E6600 and the eVGA 9600GSO GPU (before fry date it was GPU2ing 24/7). I'm seriously considering another eVGA 9600GSO "el cheapo" GPU card for the new boxen. I only need a "multi slot" mobo and the lonely E6600 will be all set. :D. Both Q6600 boxen are stock Ghz and vcore. They are doing F@H GPU2 and WCG :)

At the wall with a kill-o-watt meter, after my TrippLite 850 battery back up, they (both boxen) pull about 460w crunching at 100%. One boxen has a eVGA 8800GS (NewEgg Special) with everything stock except the fan is set to 80%. It gets, according to FAHmon v2.3.4, Avg = 1mn 47sec, 3875.47. The second water cooled Q6600 has a PNY 8800GT stock everthing except the fan at 100%. The PNY 8800GT gets, according to FAHmon v2.3.4, an Avg = 1mn 20sec 5184.00 even. These readings are from GPU2ing a 5506 WU and WCGing on 3x cores. (task manager = 100%, core temps GT=57c and GS=51c, ambient temp about 21c) ;)

I've currently got a E6600 (stock city) surfin' the Net with a Asus EN6200 LE TC256/TD/64M GeForce 6200 PCI Express 64MB Video Card , it pulls about 108w at the wall (kill-o-watt meter) I kinda' miss the good old days. :rolleyes:

I think ATM nVIDIA GPU's are the "hot prospects", but it may change in ATI's favor with the new WU's I don't think you can go wrong with either GPU :confused:

I think I read somewhere to add about a 100w per CUDA nVIDIA GPU card. :confused:

Hope this helps a little bit :rolleyes:

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

You can still get a Double Gromacs B that uses SSE2 and gets great PPD.

Luck of the draw getting those.

Even so, it's still a P4. I ran a 2.6GHz P4 as my primary folding machine for several years, and even with two uniprocessor clients (it was an HT model) it topped out at around 300PPD on a very good day, with around 150-200PPD in general.

Would it be possible to install one of the "el cheapo" Ebay eVGA 9600GSO GPU cards in a P4 2.6 Ghz (800FSB, skt 478) and run the GPU2 client :confused:

If it's at all possible IMO it's a "no brainer" to install a $50 GPU card for the amount of pernts I'm seein' with GPU2. :rolleyes:

If it can be done, I have a female friend that has a boxen like the above boxen and if I offered to buy the card I think she'd let me fold under my [H]orde handle. (it'd would be like my first venture into "borging) ;)

Would it be possible to install one of the "el cheapo" Ebay eVGA 9600GSO GPU cards in a P4 2.6 Ghz (800FSB, skt 478) and run the GPU2 client :confused:

If it's at all possible IMO it's a "no brainer" to install a $50 GPU card for the amount of pernts I'm seein' with GPU2. :rolleyes:

If it can be done, I have a female friend that has a boxen like the above boxen and if I offered to buy the card I think she'd let me fold under my [H]orde handle. (it'd would be like my first venture into "borging) ;)

Sure this can be done as long as the P4 boxen have a PCI-E slot and not the old shit AGP ;)

Sure this can be done as long as the P4 boxen have a PCI-E slot and not the old shit AGP ;)

Exactly. This however is fairly unlikely since there are only a few existing boards that support both S478 and PCI-E.

Duhhh.... :eek: Talk about bein' "dumber than a conch" :rolleyes: Thanks for having some forethought brother Xilikon. I checked the mobo and it has a AGP slot, no PCIe slot :(. Shite....., so much for my "borging" experience :mad:

Back