Application & System Crashes with Folder Redirection

RainofTerra

Limp Gawd
Hello,
I've got about 20 Windows 7 64-bit clients with folders redirecting to a share on a Windows 2008 R2 server. Appdata, Favorites, Documents, Desktop, etc. are all redirected to the share. The clients are a variety of different models (Some Sony VAIOs, the newer ones Thinkpad W510s and T510s) some of which are running the new system image I built with MDT2010, some of them are still running the factory install. All of the other clients have Symantec Endpoint Protection on them as their AV. Mine, however, has Microsoft Security Essentials.

The problem I am running into is this: Seemingly randomly a file operation of some kind (I'm assuming) will cause all open applications to stop responding (spinning mouse cursor, faded window, etc). Chrome, Word, Outlook, everything will eventually crash or become unresponsive, with the end result being everything (including the shell) closes. If you open task manager by doing ctrl-alt-del and running it, it will work but if you go to the File -> Run menu it will lock up.

The common thread on all of these machines is Folder Redirection - as I said, mine runs MSE instead of SEP and it still exhibits the issue. Also, it doesn't happen at the same time. One person might lock up saving an attachment from Outlook and everyone else is fine, then 2 hours later someone is opening a PowerPoint and it happens. This weekend I replaced all the 10/100 switches we were using with a single HP V1910-48g this weekend, and I was hoping in the back of my mind that in addition to upping our capacity it might fight the problem. It would have been nice if it did.

Also, this is happening to both wired and wireless clients. The wireless clients are just running off some random Linksys router running DDWRT, all the wired clients are either direct into the 48 port V1910 or into a 5 port gigabit switch which then connects to the V1910.

I'm at the end of my rope here - every theory I've had so far has been swatted down, so I'm hoping maybe someone here has some experience with something similar. I've had setups very similar to this at previous jobs and never had this issue.

Thanks.

You are running all that stuff off the server? Or there is a cached copy somewhere on the machine?

The redirected folders all use offline files so there is a cached copy on the machine. If I unplug the network cable from a wired machine, it can still open and save files in Word, for instance, and just synchronizes the next time the connection resumes.

Ok, I finally got something useful out of one of the machines as they died.

Date & Time: 1/24/2011 3:33:29 PM
Event Class: File System
Operation: CreateFile
Result: ACCESS DENIED
Path: \\SERVER\CORP\profiles\username\Downloads
TID: 3492
Duration: 0.0007618
Desired Access: Synchronize
Disposition: Open
Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert
Attributes: n/a
ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete
AllocationSize: n/a
Impersonating: COMPANY\username

That is originating from svchost

Then this, originating from Internet Explorer that is running under username's credentials:

Date & Time: 1/24/2011 3:50:30 PM
Path: C:\Users\username\AppData
TID: 2620
Duration: 0.0000494
Desired Access: Read Data/List Directory, Write Data/Add File, Read Attributes, Synchronize
ShareMode: Read, Write

I check the permissions, and the person is the owner and CREATOR OWNER has full control. SYSTEM also has full control. Any ideas?

Ok, I finally got something useful out of one of the machines as they died.

Date & Time: 1/24/2011 3:33:29 PM
Path: \\SERVER\CORP\profiles\username\Downloads
TID: 3492
Duration: 0.0007618
Desired Access: Synchronize
ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete
Impersonating: COMPANY\username

That is originating from svchost

Then this, originating from Internet Explorer that is running under username's credentials:

Date & Time: 1/24/2011 3:50:30 PM
Path: C:\Users\username\AppData
TID: 2620
Duration: 0.0000494
Desired Access: Read Data/List Directory, Write Data/Add File, Read Attributes, Synchronize
ShareMode: Read, Write

I check the permissions, and the person is the owner and CREATOR OWNER has full control. SYSTEM also has full control. Any ideas?

Maybe corrupt profile :confused: atleast those are my thoughts on those access denied(s)

Back