Apple Warns Against Jailbreaking

I've never stolen an app and I pretty much always jailbreak my ios devices just so I can install a few emulators, and get rid of newsstand and a few other things. I'll wager that most people are the same way, to be honest it's easier and less time consuming to just download the fucking apps. ALSO untethered wifi hotspot on 3GS fuck u apple.

Rooting / Jailbreaking is simply giving you access to the root directory of the phone so you can install, modify, remove any software. The phone is still locked to the carrier you purchased it from.

Unlocking is enabling the phone to be used on other carriers. You're unlocking the lock to a specific carrier. This is what was made illegal.

Wasn't able to edit my post.

I just wanted to add that rooting/jailbreaking is not illegal. However, in most, if not all, cases it is against the carriers rules and can result in them terminating your service (and charge an ETF if your under contract).

Unlocking is NOT illegal if you're phone was not subsidized (aka. you payed full price) or you've fulfilled your contractual agreement (i.e 1 year, 2 years or whatever the contract was for). The new law only applies to subsidized phones under contract with the carrier.

I'm confused, is rooting the same as unlocking?

No.

Rooting = Jailbreaking = Ability to install any app / software you see fit on your device. IE. If Apple decides not to approve an app like Barrel (awesome cydia app) I can use an alternate app store to purchase and install other apps as I see fit.

Unlocking = hacking the phone so that you can take say.... an AT&T iPhone over to TMobile while still under contract.

No.

Rooting = Jailbreaking = Ability to install any app / software you see fit on your device. IE. If Apple decides not to approve an app like Barrel (awesome cydia app) I can use an alternate app store to purchase and install other apps as I see fit.

Unlocking = hacking the phone so that you can take say.... an AT&T iPhone over to TMobile while still under contract.

Rooting / Jailbreaking is simply giving you access to the root directory of the phone so you can install, modify, remove any software. The phone is still locked to the carrier you purchased it from.

Unlocking is enabling the phone to be used on other carriers. You're unlocking the lock to a specific carrier. This is what was made illegal.

Thanks for clearing that up

When you utilize the flexibility/freedom of the widget system on Android you will understand why people jailbreak.... why do HAVE to go 3 menus deep to turn off wifi?

If they offered a dev/root mode; wouldnt it be the samething?

No.

I don't know about "hacking" to unlock, but there are remote unlock codes that requires no hacking :)

You can run terminal on it without having to jailbreak the device.

Hiding behind the Piracy and Hackers don't hurt businesses mantra is a crock. These people are not your friends. "They provided me with the tools to free my phone" you say. What they did was hand you a loaded gun that you can go and hold up the people that make the true innovation happen, the independent developers. And while you may put the gun down, it's still there and can be tempting to use.
So what may seem like a good thing right now is actually a bad thing for people in the long run.

huh? You can still buy apps from the app store after jailbreaking your phone. You're not hurting anyone. The only thing I can think of that jailbreaking hurts (if you use the apps to do so) is free hotspot. Boo hoo, AT&T won't get yet another $25 a month after $99 a month they're charging me for unlimited voice and data.

No independent app developers are being harmed from jailbreaking your phone.

I actually do not like people Jailbreaking their phones. A good majority do it to steal apps. I'm right on that aspect. The only valid reason that I can see that someone jailbreaks their phone is to keep using it past the time that the maker of the phone stops supporting it. If people were not bastards about getting software legally it would be a completly different story for me.

lol no.

I've never pirated an app, but I will not buy any iPhone that I can't jailbreak.

BiteSMS messaging, having the ability to have infinite apps in a folder, themeing, SBSetting task manager, Nitrous (speeds up JavaScript on every app) makes my jailbroken phone simply better than a normal iPhone.

To jailbreakers like me, we love the iPhone, but iOS is limited and sucks. Jailbroken, it's damn good.

I'll do whatever I want with my overly expensive piece of shit phone. Fuck you very much Apple.

I'd also like to add the "Pirate Bay" of the iOS world, hackulo.us, shut down due to no one using it anymore.

Jailbreaking = piracy, amirite...?

I actually do not like people Jailbreaking their phones. A good majority do it to steal apps. I'm right on that aspect. The only valid reason that I can see that someone jailbreaks their phone is to keep using it past the time that the maker of the phone stops supporting it. If people were not bastards about getting software legally it would be a completly different story for me.

Yup, jailbreaking my iPhone has nothing to do with:

• Adding Siri to my standard iPhone 4
  • Adding customization apps (Dashboardx, SBsettings, Gridlock, Barrel) that Apple won't allow on their app store because it "changes the Apple provided interface".
  • Installing apps like iBlacklist (blocks unknown phone numbers completely from calling you) that again Apple won't allow in their app store
  • Bypassing the Apple app store entirely. Why the hell should Apple take 30% of the cut of an app they didn't develop? I'd rather pay less or have almost all of the money go direct to the actual developer instead of an app store owner.
  • Principle. It's my device. I own it (not carrier subsidized), I should be able to do whatever the F I want to something I own. This includes installing any piece of software I choose.

I really like the iPhone hardware. It has great battery life, the screen looks great, and it's generally built well. Jailbreaking remove all of Apples pesky restrictions placed on a device I own.

Jailbreaking makes me no more of a pirate than someone who owns a PC and can install whatever they want on their PC without going to the "Microsoft Store" and only buying to install "Microsoft approved apps".

If a non-jailbroken iPhone is so secure, how come it can be jailbroken in the first place? :confused:

I'd also like to add the "Pirate Bay" of the iOS world, hackulo.us, shut down due to no one using it anymore.

Jailbreaking = piracy, amirite...?

No one using it my ass, its a huge market full of free stuff tons of people use it.

Jailbreaking does not = piracy, that's like saying I rooted my nexus to pirate apps which is definitely not the case.

You can customize the shit out of iDevices once you jailbreak, you can also unlock your phone for free. There are pro's to jailbreaking but all apple points out is the negative.

Heaven forbid if everyone knew they could really customize their iphone by jailbreaking. Apple would rather blind fold the sheep as they lead them to the pasture then let them know they can actually own and do WTF they want with the device they paid for and physically own

Well if the stupid assholes at apple would allow me to block a phone number from calling and texting me, I wouldn't have to jailbreak their pos hardware. Fucking ridiculous I have to jailbreak, then pay $20 for iblacklist. God I can't wait for the new galaxy S4 to come out, I'm gonna use this stupid 4s I've got for target practice!

Call your provider and request it be blocked fro harassment, they are obligated to do so or let you out of your contract, either or

also add as a side effect of jailbreaking that upgrading your device to the latest legal software to start actually buying stuff now that you can afford to will erase EVERTYHING from yoru device. Your pictures, contacts, vids, legal apps, illegal apps(of course) and the solid list of 1500 good songs you sorted and rated from an original list of 6000 over the past 2 years, but couldn't really extract or save in any way since Apple hates you and itunes doest give any way of putting your mp3s in new folders according to list and whatnots, leaving you with 6000 songs to relisten to, spread all accross your CDs and hard drives, knowing there are 4500 of them you just didn't like.

Not bitter at all. But let's just say I'm sold to Android now.

Apple must be afraid of losing money to people jailbreaking their iphones and bypassing their app store . I'm surprised Apple hasn't somehow filed for a jailbreak patent yet, then offer the new feature of a jailbroken iphone, for an extra $299. Hey that may be next big selling feature of the future Iphone!

I jailbroke mine almost exclusively so I could stop using Safari. I just don't like it. And I hate that every time I click a link Safari opens, so I have to copy the link, close Safari, and paste it into Chrome.
I'm interested in putting Siri on my 4, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Seems like there might be a few methods though.
Oh and then I saw that f.lux was available, and that's awesome too.

also add as a side effect of jailbreaking that upgrading your device to the latest legal software to start actually buying stuff now that you can afford to will erase EVERTYHING from yoru device. Your pictures, contacts, vids, legal apps, illegal apps(of course) and the solid list of 1500 good songs you sorted and rated from an original list of 6000 over the past 2 years, but couldn't really extract or save in any way since Apple hates you and itunes doest give any way of putting your mp3s in new folders according to list and whatnots, leaving you with 6000 songs to relisten to, spread all accross your CDs and hard drives, knowing there are 4500 of them you just didn't like.

Not bitter at all. But let's just say I'm sold to Android now.

or you know, backup your phone first, upgrade and then restore...

like you're suppose to...

I've jailbroken every iPhone I've owned and didn't buy the 5 until the iOS 6.1 JB was ready, this week. Long wait, but worth it. Now, I can go get thousands of dollars worth of pirated apps. :rolleyes:

or you know, backup your phone first, upgrade and then restore...

like you're suppose to...
It's Apple. You'll make a backup to be safe, it will end up being corrupted. So you will use an older backup, but iTunes will give you an error. But hey you got Siri.

I've jailbroken every iPhone I've owned and didn't buy the 5 until the iOS 6.1 JB was ready, this week. Long wait, but worth it. Now, I can go get thousands of dollars worth of pirated apps. :rolleyes:

I got surprisingly few apps for mine after jailbreaking it. It was more about customization, watching/saving/reading more video and text formats, using unapproved apps that did things better than Apple's and stuff.

Wonder if they will warn people about the consequences of stepping away from Apple products for something different in the near future.

I jailbroke mine almost exclusively so I could stop using Safari. I just don't like it. And I hate that every time I click a link Safari opens, so I have to copy the link, close Safari, and paste it into Chrome.
I'm interested in putting Siri on my 4, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Seems like there might be a few methods though.
Oh and then I saw that f.lux was available, and that's awesome too.

You do realize that every web browser on any iphone is still deep down safari, right?

You do realize that every web browser on any iphone is still deep down safari, right?

but different browsers work different ways and that's all that really matters. Nothing wrong with Safari per se, but Safari's features are lacking.

I also use Chrome on my iPhone 4S for two reasons: bookmarks are synced with my desktop Chrome, and because Chrome has an option that turns a mobile friendly web site back into a desktop web site - a must have for me because, for instance, my bank doesn't have account to account transfer function available on their mobile site, but they do on their desktop site.

Jailbreaking makes me no more of a pirate than someone who owns a PC and can install whatever they want on their PC without going to the "Microsoft Store" and only buying to install "Microsoft approved apps".

+1

Smartphones are not appliances, they are personal computers in a small form factor, and we must never forget this. Not only should jailbreaking not be stigmatized, it shouldn't even be necessary in the first place. Jailbreaking is just returning a user-owned platform to the sane state of being user-controlled.

except for the fact that you can install cracked/pirated apps on completely stock and un-jailbroken idevices these days.

Unfortunately this is the truth for many, but for me I did the jailbreak for two reasons.
1. To get the ability to have time stamps for all my messages. How this is not an option is beyond me.
2. Get tethering on my phone. I already pay for data, why should I pay extra to use it the way I want to.

No one using it my ass, its a huge market full of free stuff tons of people use it.

Jailbreaking does not = piracy, that's like saying I rooted my nexus to pirate apps which is definitely not the case.

You can customize the shit out of iDevices once you jailbreak, you can also unlock your phone for free. There are pro's to jailbreaking but all apple points out is the negative.

Heaven forbid if everyone knew they could really customize their iphone by jailbreaking. Apple would rather blind fold the sheep as they lead them to the pasture then let them know they can actually own and do WTF they want with the device they paid for and physically own

Did you even think to read what happened to it a few weeks ago?

The place shut down. Offline. No remaining userbase. Gone. Forever.

Security is a legit concern, one of the reasons that iOS has so much less malware than Android is the lack of sideloading by default.

Stability seems to come down to luck. Half the people with the most popular jailbreaking apps are reporting less stability. Of course, its only been a few days, bugs will get shaken out.

Piracy is also a problem, but its hard to bring that topic up on message boards because so many people seem to be in favor of stealing from developers...

Also, the most popular applications are ones that should be in iOS by default. The "swipe cursor" feature needs to be in ASAP. Other things like allowing Chrome to Safari's JS engine is another, same with being able to change default applications.

Back