Apple speakers on PC?

Ouikikazz

Gawd
I was wondering if there was a way to use the Apple Speakers ( http://www.apple.com/speakers/ ) on a PC like either via the iFire ( http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/ifire/index.html ) or any other way. The ifire looks like it'll work on PC but software wise is there any type of drivers needed? etc etc.

Yes i know these speakers are not special but find me a set of clear (plastic) speakers that look alike for PC then i can stop researching :p

I'm not any sort of "1337 DRiV3R GuRu," but it looks like it will just play the signal through the standard mini-jack. The question is why does it use a propreitary [I know, bad speller] connector. Does it have USB/FW/headphone connectors on it? If so, it might just have an internal hub, and should be fine with that. However, I'm not 100% sure, wait for the next post.

I believe the only thing special about the apple pro speakers is that they are powered by the mac itself... dunno, never used them.

So what looks to me is the iFire pulls power from the Firewire, and audio from the 1/8" phone plug... and just passes it onto the Pro speakers.

Those speakers get a little confusing...

There are actually 2 different models.

Apple Pro Speakers
and
Apple G4 Cube Speakers.

Both actually look the same, but there are big differences.

The Pro speakers are just speakers with a propritary Apple minijack connector. The amp for the speakers is built into all G4 PowerMacs and iMacs.

With the G4 Cube speakers the speakers are connected to a external amplifier. The amplifier then plugs into a USB port on the G4 Cube. The digital audio signal and power is carried via USB to the amplifier.

The iFire adapter is actually a FireWire powered amplifier. It works only with the Apple Pro speakers. It uses FireWire only for power. Signal input is via a standard 3.5" stereo minijack. No drivers or software needed. Remember however the speakers nor the adapter itself have volume controls. You'll have to rely entirely on software volume controls.

And if you have ever heard these speakers you would probably think twice about blowing so much money on them. Yes to some people they may look good, but don't you want it to sound good too?

Originally posted by stevewm
Those speakers get a little confusing...

There are actually 2 different models.

Apple Pro Speakers
and
Apple G4 Cube Speakers.

Both actually look the same, but there are big differences.

The Pro speakers are just speakers with a propritary Apple minijack connector. The amp for the speakers is built into all G4 PowerMacs and iMacs.

With the G4 Cube speakers the speakers are connected to a external amplifier. The amplifier then plugs into a USB port on the G4 Cube. The digital audio signal and power is carried via USB to the amplifier.

The iFire adapter is actually a FireWire powered amplifier. It works only with the Apple Pro speakers. It uses FireWire only for power. Signal input is via a standard 3.5" stereo minijack. No drivers or software needed. Remember however the speakers nor the adapter itself have volume controls. You'll have to rely entirely on software volume controls.

And if you have ever heard these speakers you would probably think twice about blowing so much money on them. Yes to some people they may look good, but don't you want it to sound good too?

blah the main turnoff is the volume, im not a hardcore audiophile so sound isn't absolutely important to me, but volume is :p

Originally posted by Ouikikazz
blah the main turnoff is the volume, im not a hardcore audiophile so sound isn't absolutely important to me, but volume is :p

For the amount of money those speakers plus the the adapter/amplifier cost you could get 2 great sounding Logitech 2.1 speaker sets or 1 of their 5.1 sets. Won't look as good, but at least it would have low end/frequency/bass. The Apple Pro speakers definately don't.... Not to mention they would have volume controls!

Originally posted by stevewm
For the amount of money those speakers plus the the adapter/amplifier cost you could get 2 great sounding Logitech 2.1 speaker sets or 1 of their 5.1 sets. Won't look as good, but at least it would have low end/frequency/bass. The Apple Pro speakers definately don't.... Not to mention they would have volume controls!

eh i looked into the Apple Pros for a reason, i wanted to have matching components and stuff :p but hey no volume control means no purchase

Many alternatives are available if you really want something with the Apple styling. I just remembered these: JBL Creature 2.1 Speakers, also available in white. Never used them, but I'm sure someone on this board has.

Back