Apple MBP 15.4" 2.4ghz - Best Buy - $1,599

JediK

Limp Gawd
i feel ripped off when i paid 2000$ for my 2.2 when it came out :( i want the new MBP so bad now, i wish apple had trade-in programs

I picked up one yesterday. I went in to see the new ones, but walked away with the older one with matte screen and saved $400!!!

Apple MBP 15.4" 2.4ghz - Best Buy - $1,599: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8764429&type=product&id=1203815206412

They also have the 2.5ghz on sale.
Apple MBP 15.4" 2.5ghz - Best Buy - $1,799: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8764447&type=product&id=1203815206480

It was full price in store, but they price matched their website.
Ugh, those processors (T7700 vs T9300) are nearly identical in price. Other than the $1,799 model having 256MB more on the 86m (which doesn't add much performance-wise), the price difference just isn't justifiable.

i feel ripped off when i paid 2000$ for my 2.2 when it came out :( i want the new MBP so bad now, i wish apple had trade-in programs

The new one doesn't have a firewire port. Plus could you imagine how hot that f*er is going to be with dual video cards? I've got a first gen dual core which still is fast enough for the work I do with it, I'm sure I paid a bit over 2k for it, but it was a business expense, so I got a good write off.
http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/10/17/1331229&tid=180

The new one doesn't have a firewire port. Plus could you imagine how hot that f*er is going to be with dual video cards? I've got a first gen dual core which still is fast enough for the work I do with it, I'm sure I paid a bit over 2k for it, but it was a business expense, so I got a good write off.

The 9400M is integrated...the 9600M stays idle until graphic intensive application call on it
If anything it's going to be cooler during general use than the ones that solely used dedicated cards, not too mention have more battery life

Imagine the kind of Dell notebook that you could build for that price...the Mac isn't even in the same league.

Imagine the kind of Dell notebook that you could build for that price...the Mac isn't even in the same league.

Dell is all we use at work (99% of the time) and I can't stand them. After 85 servers and 750+ computers, I personally don't want to put up with the lack of quality at home. You might be happy with it though.

The new one DOES have a firewire port... way to regurgitate what you heard incorrectly. The new MACBOOK (not pro) eschews the firewire port.

Its also cooler than the older generations. Only 1 video card runs at a time.

Dell is all we use at work (99% of the time) and I can't stand them. After 85 servers and 750+ computers, I personally don't want to put up with the lack of quality at home. You might be happy with it though.

i agree, i have hundreds of dell machines at work, both desktops and laptops, and they make pure garbage...

thats why i have a lenovo laptop :)

was more expensive than the macbook! lol

I picked up one yesterday. I went in to see the new ones, but walked away with the older one with matte screen and saved $400!!!

Apple MBP 15.4" 2.4ghz - Best Buy - $1,599: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8764429&type=product&id=1203815206412

They also have the 2.5ghz on sale.
Apple MBP 15.4" 2.5ghz - Best Buy - $1,799: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8764447&type=product&id=1203815206480

It was full price in store, but they price matched their website.

um, refurb from apple.com is 1350 for the same thing. and comes with a full apple warranty.

Dell pure garbage? What are you guys running? I am a network admin at one of our local hospitals and we primarily run Dell servers and workstations. Problems are few and far between, and when a part does fail (damn those rev. A01 power supplies in the OptiPlex systems) we get a replacement the next day (we purchased Gold warranty support). When a problem does arise on a PC it's usually one of those first-gen power supplies or a hard drive, but hard drive failures are a given and I can't blame Dell for WD & Seagate failures. No problems with our Dell servers at all.

I also purchased a used Latitude C640 for my GF and it's been running without a hitch.

I wouldn't purchase a Dell for myself unless it was a notebook, purely because I prefer to build my own. Their quality might not be up to Apple standards, but you're not paying nearly as much either.

Now don't write me off as a Dell fanboy because I don't really have any loyalty to them but I can tell you we literally have hundreds of them in service and the vast majority run 24/7 without a hiccup. I don't know what more I can ask...

They're not perfect but they're far from "garbage."

Latitude/Optiplex/Poweredge != dell consumer ;)

Well you do have a point there. I have worked on several Dimension systems for friends and co-workers, and haven't been overly impressed. But I assumed that the OptiPlex line wasn't of the highest quality as they don't cost as much as some of the other lines, yet ours have been doing nicely with the exception of the power supplies in the GX520s (745s and 755s have been great). Then again, I've seen a few XPS systems with hardware issues and for the money they charge, those things should be solid as a rock IMO.

I know the Inspiron line of laptops aren't quite up to the quality level of Latitudes (which seem to be largely problem-free) but even those seem to be decent for the money.

Dell is so large now that it's basically a crapshoot with some of their lower-end systems. They do make nice monitors, though.

You also get the real support, which, coming from someone who works with their awesome server level and business support, is great. Dell consumer support is a JOKE.

I'm not seeing any Dell or Gateway laptop in that price range that's even as good as the old $1599 Apple MacBookPro simply because of two things: a 256MB Nvidia 8600M and a 15.4" (1440 x 900) screen.

At best there's a Gateway laptop that uses the ATi 2300 HD, which still gets trouced by the 8600M, and it has a smaller screen (14" vs. 15.4") and guess what? It's only $100 cheaper.

Dell's laptops with that screen size tend to be cheaper, but then again they only have 128MB 8400Ms in them (you have to bump up the specs on the processor and screen, the default is a crappy 1280 x 800 max LCD, to match everything else).

The only real advantage Dell and Gateway laptops have is that they tend to come with 3GB of RAM standard over Apple's 2GB.

I'm not an Apple guy nor even a laptop guy but you guys should look at specs and price more closely. They're really not bad deals anymore, especially on the most important specs. It's easy to bump up RAM but getting better discrete graphics? Not so much.

You also get the real support, which, coming from someone who works with their awesome server level and business support, is great. Dell consumer support is a JOKE.

I won't argue there bro. With Gold support I get instant access to an English speaking person and have the part overnight. I would NOT want to deal with Dell's consumer level support.

i think alot of people here buy macs because of the build quality and design, anyone here can make a hackintosh. but not any company can make a glass multi touch trackpad (ooze)

I am a network admin at one of our local hospitals and we primarily run Dell servers and workstations.

Well, duh... Dell Servers and Workstations are excellent... Consumer lineup is a joke.

Well, duh... Dell Servers and Workstations are excellent... Consumer lineup is a joke.

My whole reason for responding in the first place were these posts:

JediK said:
Dell is all we use at work (99% of the time) and I can't stand them. After 85 servers and 750+ computers, I personally don't want to put up with the lack of quality at home.

FLECOM said:
i agree, i have hundreds of dell machines at work, both desktops and laptops, and they make pure garbage...

So tell that to them :p

its and apple product - its not a good deal

Yeah, apple is totally worthless, especially if you need a computer which you can use programs like Photoshop CS3 and have a native BSD interface for doing development work. Yeah, I guess I could use Linux/WINE or Windows/CYGWIN, but I'd rather have something that is actually built for the tasks which I need to complete. I also don't need to dick around with 3rd party wifi programs, a great part of Windows, nor do I need to recompile a kernel to get a wifi card working, in general.

Must be nice to use Windows and think that you have some kind of superiority.
:rolleyes:

Doesnt BB have those 10% off printable coupons? If so thats at least another 100$ right there

Yeah, apple is totally worthless, especially if you need a computer which you can use programs like Photoshop CS3 and have a native BSD interface for doing development work. Yeah, I guess I could use Linux/WINE or Windows/CYGWIN, but I'd rather have something that is actually built for the tasks which I need to complete. I also don't need to dick around with 3rd party wifi programs, a great part of Windows, nor do I need to recompile a kernel to get a wifi card working, in general.

How ironic is that last comment, considering a lot of Apple users have that same attitude that because they use a Mac they are elite, stylish, and are using equipment that is far superior to a PC...

I'm not saying you are one of "those guys"...you know, the type that drive a BMW and think that people who drive anything under that level are poor, inferior beings. I am a PC guy through and through, yet I admit there's a part of me that wants a MBP to toy around with...Tiger and Leopard are awesome operating systems but I like the fact that as a Windows user I can walk into Wal-Mart or GameStop and purchase software that will work with my machine. I don't have to go to an Apple Store where the staff is obsessed with their appearance and trendy devices. I guess that's one thing that the Linux crowd has for them...sure, you can tool around with Linux to make it do anything you want if you're willing to invest the time in learning how to code it, but a lot of those people are regular Joes that believe you shouldn't have to pay to have a reliable, adaptable/configurable operating system.

Just saying that I'm a guy who is happy with Windows but by no means do I think I'm superior to Mac or Linux users. They each have their strengths depending on your willingness to learn something new. I'm just tired of hearing the Mac fanboys sing about how they never have to worry about viruses and what not...I currently do not run antivirus software or a firewall, yet my system runs without compromise because I have some common sense and know-how. I agree with you about the recompiling thing and agree 100% that MacOS is more user friendly than Linux for the average user, but although there are apps and scenarios that benefit from using a Mac, the same is true for any other platform. :)

How ironic is that last comment, considering a lot of Apple users have that same attitude that because they use a Mac they are elite, stylish, and are using equipment that is far superior to a PC...

I'm not saying you are one of "those guys"...you know, the type that drive a BMW and think that people who drive anything under that level are poor, inferior beings. I am a PC guy through and through, yet I admit there's a part of me that wants a MBP to toy around with...Tiger and Leopard are awesome operating systems but I like the fact that as a Windows user I can walk into Wal-Mart or GameStop and purchase software that will work with my machine. I don't have to go to an Apple Store where the staff is obsessed with their appearance and trendy devices. I guess that's one thing that the Linux crowd has for them...sure, you can tool around with Linux to make it do anything you want if you're willing to invest the time in learning how to code it, but a lot of those people are regular Joes that believe you shouldn't have to pay to have a reliable, adaptable/configurable operating system.

Just saying that I'm a guy who is happy with Windows but by no means do I think I'm superior to Mac or Linux users. They each have their strengths depending on your willingness to learn something new. I'm just tired of hearing the Mac fanboys sing about how they never have to worry about viruses and what not...I currently do not run antivirus software or a firewall, yet my system runs without compromise because I have some common sense and know-how. I agree with you about the recompiling thing and agree 100% that MacOS is more user friendly than Linux for the average user, but although there are apps and scenarios that benefit from using a Mac, the same is true for any other platform. :)

Well, this thread sure got derailed. But great post nonetheless!

OK, stop flaming the OP for his deal post. If you use the Bestbuy online coupon, this deal is decently hot for SOMEONE thats looking for a mac. For me, My school (IADT Tampa) is 'pro' Mac for digital video and audio. I'm shopping around for something that I can use at home so I don't have to go to the labs at 3am to get a project done.

I would actually make the argument that currently Photoshop on the Windows side is more advance as CS4 in OSX is still only a 32bit application. Is it a huge deal? No, but it's a shame that Apple forced them to go that way until CS5 given how well the MacPros can be speced out.

I would actually make the argument that currently Photoshop on the Windows side is more advance as CS4 in OSX is still only a 32bit application. Is it a huge deal? No, but it's a shame that Apple forced them to go that way until CS5 given how well the MacPros can be speced out.

CS3 runs well enough on a 32-bit MBP, still can't get most of the UNIX needs fit with Windows... don't get me wrong, I run both WinXP and OS X, it is just easier to do my work on one machine. Of course there's the whole OS X sucks for gaming, which I agree with, there's the main reason for having a PC.

Back