Apple Confirms No Further Support for Carrier IQ

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Responding to the controversy about privacy concerns over Carrier IQ software, Apple has made it clear that it no longer supports the software and will be completely removed from future iPhones.

“We never recorded keystrokes, messages or any other personal information for diagnostic data and have no plans to ever do so.”

After all: nothing ever goes wrong with any Apple product. If something does go wrong, it's because the user was holding it wrong or something.

I'm surprised they were the first to step and and do something like that. I hope to see the rest follow suit.

What did you expect them to say?

Now that its all over the major news channels, its time for PR damage control.

GREAT, because this was a great feature to include in all the other iPhones. </sarcasm> They are acting like they had no idea it was in there. I get the feeling all the cellphone manufacturers were full utilizing the Carrier IQ functionality and were able to spy on people fully. I have no doubt that if the whitehouse needed a person tracked, Carrier IQ was on their speed-dial.

GREAT, because this was a great feature to include in all the other iPhones. </sarcasm> They are acting like they had no idea it was in there. I get the feeling all the cellphone manufacturers were full utilizing the Carrier IQ functionality and were able to spy on people fully. I have no doubt that if the whitehouse needed a person tracked, Carrier IQ was on their speed-dial.

^^ THIS

Couldnt have said it any better myself.

First thing from the white house is where is carrier iq then they will ask were is the aircraft carriers.

is it me or are some people overacting much about carrier IQ, wasn't it just proven earlier that the only thing it ever really sent that was questionable were sites that you visited which logically anything can just be recorded/logged on the service provider itself even without any software on your phone,lol, but meh, to each is his own, I really dont worry much about privacy on my phone since I don't really do questionable stuffs on it,lol

back on topic, lol @ apple, trying to "wash their hands" early about the matter, "never recorded" anything my ass,lol

is it me or are some people overacting much about carrier IQ, wasn't it just proven earlier that the only thing it ever really sent that was questionable were sites that you visited which logically anything can just be recorded/logged on the service provider itself even without any software on your phone,lol, but meh, to each is his own, I really dont worry much about privacy on my phone since I don't really do questionable stuffs on it,lol

back on topic, lol @ apple, trying to "wash their hands" early about the matter, "never recorded" anything my ass,lol

This whole thing is a witch hunt. The video showing "data logging" was just the program registering that keys were pressed.

OMFG! MY KEYBOARD KNOWS EVERY KEY I PRESS!

http://www.cultofmac.com/132461/steve-jobs-was-right-android-logs-everything/

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-check-and-remove-carrier-iq-keylogger-activity-on-android/

http://www.redmondpie.com/carrier-i...ty-as-it-is-on-android-and-other-smartphones/

If you really are concerned about what information iOS is sending to Carrier IQ, then you can head to Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage > and select &#8216;Don&#8217;t Send.&#8217;

Unfortunately the same easy fix does not appear to extend to Android, with the Carrier IQ software almost impossible to remove without completely rebuilding the OS. Not exactly ideal.

Currently, of all the major smartphone OS&#8217; out there, Microsoft&#8217;s Windows Phone 7.x is the only mobile OS without Carrier IQ installed.

I'm surprised they were the first to step and and do something like that. I hope to see the rest follow suit.

Well, there are plenty of devices that don't have Carrier IQ at all and never have.

What will actually happen is this: Carrier IQ either goes under or silently renames themselves. The software gets renamed and better hidden, but stays on there. The data is still wanted and still useful. There is a very legitimate need for usage statistics (obviously not URLs and touches, but things like cell usage, dropped calls, dropped packets, crashes, etc... are super useful). Apple is probably migrating to an in-house app, hence the "quick" turnaround to remove CarrierIQ.

I do rather find it hilarious that people freak out about SMS messages getting "logged". I guess they don't realize the carrier that wants the logs is the one that delivered the SMS in the first place. They already have the plain text message, they don't need to log it on your phone to get it.

This whole thing is a witch hunt. The video showing "data logging" was just the program registering that keys were pressed.

OMFG! MY KEYBOARD KNOWS EVERY KEY I PRESS!

Actually, what the video showed was a verbose log of all actions happening on the system. What it showed was that a keyboard press was made, and then that information was called not only by the core android software, but also by CIQ, in some cases CIQ receiving the information before the core software.

Actually, what the video showed was a verbose log of all actions happening on the system. What it showed was that a keyboard press was made, and then that information was called not only by the core android software, but also by CIQ, in some cases CIQ receiving the information before the core software.

indeed

This marks the beginning of the end of the company behind Carrier IQ I would guess. The guys working on that product better be looking for other work, and it must suck to have to put on your resume that your most recent experience is developing the software that the entire industry just made a public mockery of.

Back