Apple acknowledging graphic's card issues Early 2011 - 2013 MBP/MBPr

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Looks like Apple is finally officially acknowledging the issue.

I had my logic board replaced under applecare once, and the issue has started up again recently, shortly after applecare ended (of course).
So this is nice for me.

Apple has determined that a small percentage of MacBook Pro systems may exhibit distorted video, no video, or unexpected system restarts. These MacBook Pro systems were sold between February 2011 and December 2013.

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will repair affected MacBook Pro systems, free of charge. See below for details on affected models and service options.

As of February 20, 2015, the repair process will be available in the U.S. and Canada. In other countries, it will be available as of February 27, 2015.

What are the specs on your MBP? I own a 2012 15" rMBP and haven't had any video related problems. It uses nVidia graphics.

Last edited:
my mid-2010 MBP with the dreaded GT 330M had the same problems. random nvidia related kernel panics with even the lightest discrete graphics tasks. called up apple this past november praising steve jobs, and they ended up replacing the board free of charge, years past warranty expiration. so that was pretty cool, i guess. YMMV.

but yeah. probably not buying another macbook..

my mid-2010 MBP with the dreaded GT 330M had the same problems. random nvidia related kernel panics with even the lightest discrete graphics tasks. called up apple this past november praising steve jobs, and they ended up replacing the board free of charge, years past warranty expiration. so that was pretty cool, i guess. YMMV.

but yeah. probably not buying another macbook..

That was a known issue that wasn't even Apple's fault. It was nVidias. There was a recall on all 320Ms and 330Ms. And not just on Apple products, basically everyone.

Not sure how are they going to verify the problem, since it's hard to reproduce "unexpected" restart.

Not sure how are they going to verify the problem, since it's hard to reproduce "unexpected" restart.
Apple tends to err on the side of the customer so they are looking to resolve issues rather than deny them. If you experience a series of problems and explain them as intermittent you are likely to receive the benefit of the doubt and repair.

Rarely they have not followed what I described, but quickly remedied with a call to corporate and an honest, polite discussion with the PIC. Use the phrasing I wrote in my first paragraph and you'll be able to push the issue through to resolution without much resistance.

Was at first a little disappointed the late 2013 15" MBPr I purchased from a friend has Intel graphics and can't be upgraded, but after reading about this maybe it's for the best :D

For now I love it, but the only games it can handle are ones older titles I have loaded for LAN parties (e.g. TF2, CS:GO). No graphics issues either *knock on wood*

Apple tends to err on the side of the customer so they are looking to resolve issues rather than deny them. If you experience a series of problems and explain them as intermittent you are likely to receive the benefit of the doubt and repair.

Rarely they have not followed what I described, but quickly remedied with a call to corporate and an honest, polite discussion with the PIC. Use the phrasing I wrote in my first paragraph and you'll be able to push the issue through to resolution without much resistance.

Thanks for your clarification. That is good to know.

I took my machine (which exhibits these exact symptoms) to the "Genius" bar yesterday. They sent me away after running a test which loops for 15 minutes - switching graphics back and forth from integrated to discrete, and taxing the GPU - which failed to trigger the behavior.

I was advised to capture it on video next time. The funny thing is, I have a video of the previous hissy fit the machine threw, but they claimed because I did not show my serial number that it was not good enough proof. I felt as if I was being accused of being a thief. Apparently buying the machine at that retail location, registering it, and having Apple Care is not enough for them to trust that you're not trying to rip them off.

I took my machine (which exhibits these exact symptoms) to the "Genius" bar yesterday. They sent me away after running a test which loops for 15 minutes - switching graphics back and forth from integrated to discrete, and taxing the GPU - which failed to trigger the behavior.

I was advised to capture it on video next time. The funny thing is, I have a video of the previous hissy fit the machine threw, but they claimed because I did not show my serial number that it was not good enough proof. I felt as if I was being accused of being a thief. Apparently buying the machine at that retail location, registering it, and having Apple Care is not enough for them to trust that you're not trying to rip them off.

That was something I was originally worried. Apple acknowledged the unexpected restart but requires customers to prove it at genius bar. If that can be so easily reproduced, then it will more be a software issue (which can be fixed by patch) than a hardware issue.

Did you follow the suggestions I wrote in my post?

I have a late 2011 Macbook Pro 17" with no issues since I bought it 3 years ago, wonder if they'll still replace the motherboard? Kinda worries me that it might break after this program expires...

Did you follow the suggestions I wrote in my post?

Errrrr..... I think I missed it?

Anyway, I took the machine back to the "Genius" bar yesterday while it was locked up. They reset it and tried running their video test loop again - which again failed to reproduce the issue. But because they saw the machine in the locked up state, acknowledged that there was a hardware issue and agreed to release the work order. They said they're shipping it to the repair depot and I should have it back in 3-5 days.

I'm satisfied with that.

Errrrr..... I think I missed it?
For future reference, try the following:

"Hi, I'm surprised that we can't reach a resolution today because I'm used to Apple resolving my issues as has always been the case in the past. It's going to be difficult for me to prove an intermittent issue is occurring because it might or might not reproduce itself in front of the Apple Genius. If there is an issue that is hard to trace, past interactions have led me to expect a certain level of customer service that tends to err in favor of the customer. I'm not upset, I understand Apple requires that you document a hardware issue before authorizing repair, but this has become a customer satisfaction issue due to expectations set by Apple Corporation. Thank you"

If for some reason that paragraph doesn't work once you've exhausted all your in-store management ears, step away from the counter and call Apple's 800 number and, when they ask how you are doing, state,"I'm doing well, thank you, I'm just confused because I am inside an authorized store and I'm not receiving the customer service I'm accustomed to as a longtime satisfied customer."

If the first line agent doesn't resolve your issue you'll be transferred to a senior representative who has more latitude to resolve customer satisfaction concerns. You can use a variety of phrases to achieve the same result so long as you reframe the issue of malfunctioning hardware as a customer satisfaction issue.

Then you got a shitty Genius. I can understand them saying it needs to show the serial number because who is to say you didnt just get the video from youtube and re-encode it. But honestly with the amount of machines I have seen with this issue its pretty much a "do you have a backup?" If yes, ship off for repair. If no either you go home and backup, pay $99 for apple to do it, or ship it off and run the chance of data loss.

This kind of shit is what happens when unleaded solder is used. We're basically seeing a re-run of the 2007 MacBook Pros. If you have the board replaced, the issue WILL come back again. The ONLY way to truly fix this issue is to reball the GPU with proper, leaded solder.

Back