app for Running Windows Games On Linux

Stormshade

Weaksauce
Are there any apps out that will allow you to run your windows based games on a Linux System? The ONLY thing keeping me from switching to Linux Permenantly is the fact that my games are all windows based... Any ideas?

Wine & Winex let you play games.

Right now I am playing CS:S & HL2 on Linux which is all I need.

Does it Emulate the windows system at full speed? I've got a decent system so system speed wont be a BIG Factor But Most emulators actually run slower than their origonal Counterpart...

WINE = WINE Is Not an Emulator.

It's not really emulating in the sense of a console emulator, where you have to replicate the whole system. What it does is handles the different executable formats (with the native machine code still running) and translates windows system calls to native Linux system calls. The overall performance hit is generally negligable (and I've heard instances of some things actually running faster in WINE).

I think I might have to Try this, I've got a DVD Sitting at home with the Newest Mandrite (Mandrake?) Linux Build. Then well have to start installing apps and see how it goes. thanks for the Help!

Stormshade said:
I think I might have to Try this, I've got a DVD Sitting at home with the Newest Mandrite (Mandrake?) Linux Build. Then well have to start installing apps and see how it goes. thanks for the Help!
Just to warn you it doesnt make very game work in linux.
goto this site to check to see if your games work. http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/

Just so you know, WineX is now known as Cedega.

And yes, it's definitely not perfect. A LOT of games won't work. However, a few rare ones will work so perfectly you can't tell the difference from inside the game.

BTW, for non-gaming, there's something called CrossOffice which is designed to be more application oriented. It always seemed to me like it was a little better when it comes to actual applications rather than games.

Unfortunately, both of those are at least somewhat commercial. Wine is the base for them both, but, getting it to the same level is a little too advanced for most of us (myself included unfortunately.)

Personally, I stick to dual booting in the end. It's just so much less painful that way. Or, better yet, have a second system. The unfortunate fact is, Windows keeps changing (don't forget Vista is coming out some time next year and might mess it up for gamers even more) and 99% of the game manufacturers out there make the games for Windows first and foremost -- the very few who bother to make it for both seem to really not be putting NEARLY as much effort into the linux port. With rare exceptions such as the Unreal/Unreal Tournament games which are actually Linux first, Windows second and darned good at both. (Dissapointing how many games use that engine yet don't even have plans of even someday making a linux port...)

Dual booting probably is the best answer....
The real thing is if more poeple stop buying the Windows version of the game that is available in Linux then the software developers will make more Linux games. ID Soft ROCKS.

Back