APEX MI-008 (New Build)

Right sorry, every time I have posted it was right after work. -_-

Should I go with a different CPU, like the Core i5 2500K? Would that allow me to use a smaller HSF?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157239
That was the motherboard I was going to go with.

Also, on Anandtech they got their 2600K to 4.4Ghz using a stock low-profile cooler. How much worse would this HSF be than the stock Intel low-profile one? http://www.mini-box.com/Low-Profile-LGA1156-Intel-Core-i3-i5-i7-CPU-Cooler

Just stumbled across this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168131760
That was has a Mini PCIe, but not sure if it would boot, I've never heard of that company.

it's already been mentioned, but there won't be any overclocking on any of the current s1155 mITX boards, including the asrock one you linked. and if you decide to get a Z68 mITX board that might launch later, you also shouldn't consider anything beyond a mild overclock with a picoPSU and with that small case.

cooling capacity isn't the issue since you're only limited to stock clocks for now, the main thing about choosing a cooler is the height clearance if you're firm on getting that M350 case. there's not much difference between i5-2500k and i7-2600k in terms of temps and power consumption when you're just running at stock clocks. you'll only see apparent differences when you start to add lots of voltage to the chips to overclock them.

If you check the review i posted before, linking again Guru3d ECS H67H2-I motherboard review, there is a Sandy Bridge Power Consumption and temperatures, where he tests with
reference H67 chipset, one solid state drive, the memory and active cooler, no dedicated graphics card.
If you check the graphs (the frist two sets bars 2500K/2600K) will see 3W in idle difference and 9W under heavy load (games wont stress it that much), since you have mentioned you might do some encoding the 2600K will be IMO a better choice with the hyperthreading. You can try the stock intel cooler see how it goes, if temps are too high go for after market cooler.

If you check the review i posted before, linking again Guru3d ECS H67H2-I motherboard review, there is a Sandy Bridge Power Consumption and temperatures, where he tests with
If you check the graphs (the frist two sets bars 2500K/2600K) will see 3W in idle difference and 9W under heavy load (games wont stress it that much), since you have mentioned you might do some encoding the 2600K will be IMO a better choice with the hyperthreading. You can try the stock intel cooler see how it goes, if temps are too high go for after market cooler.

The stock Intel HSF won't fit either because of the central placement of the CPU. I think I can get away with that low profile cooler on the mini-box.com site.

I think when I decide to purchase this, I will go with:
M350 Case
160xt PSU (mod)
ECS H67H2-I
Intel SSD thing
super low profile CPU cooler on mini-box.com

The stock Intel HSF won't fit either because of the central placement of the CPU. I think I can get away with that low profile cooler on the mini-box.com site.
Im not sure, but i do think it fits as long as you dont use hdd mounting brackets, i dont think the intel stock coolers have changed in height from the past gens (well the i3 2100T does come with smaller, here a picture, i think its similar to SilverStone Low Profile NT07-1156), but i think the stock heatsinks will fit as long as you dont use the hdd brackets, even the sycthe might fit (what i have my doubts is into the chipset in the ECS being so tall, but there are options there also). Again i would try the intel stock heatsink first and see from there, if it clears and have decent temps you saved some $$$, if it doesn't fit then you can buy an after market cooler. IMO the minibox super low profile seems too small to cool a quad, but thats just my opinion not a fact.

I think when I decide to purchase this, I will go with:
M350 Case
160xt PSU (mod)
ECS H67H2-I
Intel SSD thing
super low profile CPU cooler on mini-box.com

Remember to check or wait to see if the Intel 310 work on it, the board hasnt even hit retail, all we have atm is a review that says it is mSata (but didnt test it) and the manufacturers website that says it does, because in laptops mPCIe are not the same mSata ports, so its better to crosscheck it or even write to ECS to see if you could use the Intel 310 on the mPCIe/mSata.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ethan, I'm not sure if you want to use that cooler. Especially with something like a 2600k. It will work, but it will be the loudest damn thing. Even at idle. Have you seen this? It'd give a little better performance but still be louder than a stock cooler. I think there's a couple other coolers on newegg that are this style, also. Maybe one of those would fit?

Can the OP, or anyone else who owns the MI-008 case tell me the deepest optical drive that will fit before colliding with the stock PSU in the rear? I will be using right angle power and sata cable. Thanks!

I was still checking some specs on the Scythe Kozuti Low Profile (40mm Height), and found more pictures, i just created some pics with them to see if the Kozuti fits the M350.

kozutim350.png

Also found one that could give you some perspective on the chipset cooler,

ecsscythekozuti.png

I would still try the intel stock first, before buying any other cooler.

The stock HSF that comes with the 2600K is not like that one in the picture, it's a lot bigger. So I would have to purchse it on eBay or something.

The stock HSF that comes with the 2600K is not like that one in the picture, it's a lot bigger. So I would have to purchse it on eBay or something.

Idk what you mean, my guess is you are watching the anantech review and they show the Intel extreme edition cooler?

_DSC7051sm.jpg

But if you see unboxing of intel i7 2600K you will see it comes with a standard cooler, check the following videos,

Intel Core i7 2600K LGA1155 CPU Processor Unboxing Linus Tech Tips
intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600k unboxing

Last edited:
Just throwing this out there...if you paired the m350 case with this new giada board .
Nice find, this board seems to have the CPU socket as the old boards, right to the edge of one side, like the M350 picture, so im assuming this board will fit the stock intel heatsink and also allow to use a hdd bracket (no need to go with with intel msata ssd), now you can go with normal ssd like Crucial 64 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT064M4SSD2 or a normal laptop hdd Western Digital Scorpio 750 GB 2.5-Inch SATA 3GB/s 7200rpm.

Nice find, this board seems to have the CPU socket as the old boards, right to the edge of one side, like the M350 picture, so im assuming this board will fit the stock intel heatsink and also allow to use a hdd bracket (no need to go with with intel msata ssd), now you can go with normal ssd like Crucial 64 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT064M4SSD2 or a normal laptop hdd Western Digital Scorpio 750 GB 2.5-Inch SATA 3GB/s 7200rpm.

Was going to go with this board, but it couldn't boot from mini PCIe. That definitely looks a lot closer to the side than the others. When I purchase, I will probably give this a shot.

Was going to go with this board, but it couldn't boot from mini PCIe. That definitely looks a lot closer to the side than the others. When I purchase, I will probably give this a shot.
Well upon checking the pictures more, although the CPU socket is placed like the old boards (oposed to the PCIe slot), its not placed right on the edge.

giadamobo350.png

Very hard to say if the stock Intel cooler will allow the bracket as its not right in the edge, but the picture is also sideways no way to know how much clearance there really is.

I think you should go with another case, i know you want as portable as possible, but cases like M350 are not meant to hold a powerful cpu but an very low end cpu like the atom.

I think the SG05 is probably among the best choices for a SSF gaming setup, the included PSU is decent, and you probably will be able to upgrade to a dedicated GPU down the road, the only downside is that its not as small, but to me is one of the best SFF cases.

Another option is just to go for your inital though, the MI 008 is more meant for HTPC, it doesn't have any fans, so its not ideal for gaming, but it will allow to fit more stuff, and its cheap, i think you should be able to place a kozuti fine (just reverese the fan so it pushes toward the psu. Some people have moded it like the post on the frist page with dedicated gpu and still very portable setups.

I do like the M350 size, but with how boards are atm, idk might be too much of a gamble that not all can fit, or be used, etc. Either good luck.

I was still checking some specs on the Scythe Kozuti Low Profile (40mm Height), and found more pictures, i just created some pics with them to see if the Kozuti fits the M350.

Also found one that could give you some perspective on the chipset cooler,

I would still try the intel stock first, before buying any other cooler.

The Intel cooler shown in the pic is 45mm AFAIK (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), so the Kozuti, assuming the 40mm height is accurate, should easily fit.

Just throwing this out there...if you paired the m350 case with this new giada board and either this Evercool HS or this TT one, it'll definitely fit. Though on the evercool HS you may need to use one of scythe's 12mm fans here.

That particular Evercool is actually 67mm tall, so it's not going to fit. Maybe you were thinking of this one? It got a pretty good review on Frostytech.

The Thermaltake should fit fine without a drive mounted above it, at 36mm tall, and perhaps with a drive if a 10mm thick fan is used.

I could probably dremel out that little support bracket on the Intel HSF? I don't see why it REALLY needs to be there. :p

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...atsink_SST-NT07-1156.html?tl=g40c14s578#blank

Not sure why this wouldn't work either. Looks a bit shorter than the stock Intel HSF.

checking dimensions now though

Almost all sites I checked with said the stock Intel HSF is 2.5" tall. So that is about 63~mm.

I think the NT07 is the best fit, but will 1156 fit 1155?

Last edited:
Okay, the cooler in this pic:
m350.png

...is the shortest of the stock Intel coolers at 45mm. Physically identical to this one. There's also one that is pretty much the same except 17mm taller.

The NT07 is shorter still, with correspondingly worse performance.

Okay, the cooler in this pic:
m350.png

...is the shortest of the stock Intel coolers at 45mm. Physically identical to this one. There's also one that is pretty much the same except 17mm taller.

The NT07 is shorter still, with correspondingly worse performance.

I'm not worried about cooler performance...

If ANAND can overclock to 4.4Ghz with a stock Intel cooler, then I will be completely fine at stock speeds.

I just want this to fit with one HDD installed.

I'm not worried about cooler performance...

If ANAND can overclock to 4.4Ghz with a stock Intel cooler, then I will be completely fine at stock speeds.

I just want this to fit with one HDD installed.

Idk what cooler did anantech used, the anantech review shows the extreme edition intel cooler in their review (not installed), also they probably tested on an test bench so its opened case, so idk if its safe to guide with it. Regardless CSS is an old game, probably wont even use 4 cores, hell i bet you can get away with dual core like the Intel® Core™ i3-2100T Processor, the 2100T with its lower tpd/clocks comes with lower height cooler than the usual (included in the box), the only downside is comes with intel 2000 gpu, but a new version is coming, 2105 coming with intel 3000 gpu,

IMG_03422.JPG

I really would like you to go with the M350, its a very small case, but its a gamble. Did you write to ECS to see if the intel 310 would work with it? with the kouzuti should be a really nice combo.

Idk what cooler did anantech used, the anantech review shows the extreme edition intel cooler in their review (not installed), also they probably tested on an test bench so its opened case, so idk if its safe to guide with it. Regardless CSS is an old game, probably wont even use 4 cores, hell i bet you can get away with dual core like the Intel® Core™ i3-2100T Processor, the 2100T with its lower tpd/clocks comes with lower height cooler than the usual (included in the box), the only downside is comes with intel 2000 gpu, but a new version is coming, 2105 coming with intel 3000 gpu,

IMG_03422.JPG

I really would like you to go with the M350, its a very small case, but its a gamble. Did you write to ECS to see if the intel 310 would work with it? with the kouzuti should be a really nice combo.

I didn't write to ECS, I wrote to Giotti first or whatever their name is. They don't support booting.

I will try ECS soon. I literally don't do anything else with my computer besides CS:S and Internet. I would like to encode BD disks so I can watch them on my tablet, but that isn't necessary. CS:S isn't a GPU-intensive game, but it's like 99% CPU-based. So I just wanted to get the best CPU available at the time. I usually go with just budget parts, but I wanted to get the best CPU for now and just add a GPU eventually if I needed it. I don't think I will add a GPU, but that is something I will find out I guess.

I've been thinking about just going with a mainstream laptop, like the ThinkPad X1. It has a Core i5 and HD3000/2000 in it.

Anand used the stock Intel HSF, not the extreme one.

Ohhh, ic, well as i said before, the mPCIe and mSata in laptops are different and not compatible, i read somewhere is just some cables placed differently, but again the ECS is the first board that claims to have a port that can handle both, no other board claims that, that would include the Giada, or Zotac, those are pure mPCIe ports, so that doesnt clear anything, its just to confirm that mPCIe ports arent the same as mSata, but would be interesting to see what ECS has to say, since its the only one that claims to have a funcitional mSata port. Its sad that 3 mayor websites reviewd the ECS board, none tried mSata SSDs :mad:

Btw one thing you should also think about is that the brick of the 150W is big, my laptop (G73JW) uses a delta 150W brick and its very heavy and huge. My picoPSU 150XT and 150W power brick just arrived home, im not there yet (working out of town atm), but will post some pics for you to see how big is it, my guess is it wil almost like half of M350 and weight considerably, im just mention this out of you wanting a very portable desktop, so a huge brick might not be a good idea, the picoPSU 80W with the 80W brick should be enough to drive a i3 2100T (downside only comes with intel 2000), also comes with the barrel style connector so you could use the M350 as it comes, also as i posted above the cooler of the intel 2100T is a lot smaller, might allow you to use an normal drive (this you need to cross check), just throwing some stuff to consider while you still are deciding.

Last edited:
I like Abula's plan. That new 2105 would be perfect IMO. Those sandy bridge chips are wicked fast and should still dominate source.

Ohhh, ic, well as i said before, the mPCIe and mSata in laptops are different and not compatible, i read somewhere is just some cables placed differently, but again the ECS is the first board that claims to have a port that can handle both, no other board claims that, that would include the Giada, or Zotac, those are pure mPCIe ports, so that doesnt clear anything, its just to confirm that mPCIe ports arent the same as mSata, but would be interesting to see what ECS has to say, since its the only one that claims to have a funcitional mSata port. Its sad that 3 mayor websites reviewd the ECS board, none tried mSata SSDs :mad:

Btw one thing you should also think about is that the brick of the 150W is big, my laptop (G73JW) uses a delta 150W brick and its very heavy and huge. My picoPSU 150XT and 150W power brick just arrived home, im not there yet (working out of town atm), but will post some pics for you to see how big is it, my guess is it wil almost like half of M350 and weight considerably, im just mention this out of you wanting a very portable desktop, so a huge brick might not be a good idea, the picoPSU 80W with the 80W brick should be enough to drive a i3 2100T (downside only comes with intel 2000), also comes with the barrel style connector so you could use the M350 as it comes, also as i posted above the cooler of the intel 2100T is a lot smaller, might allow you to use an normal drive (this you need to cross check), just throwing some stuff to consider while you still are deciding.

I think a nice little laptop would be best suited. -_-

I think a nice little laptop would be best suited. -_-
Yea it not a bad idea, check Acer Aspire AS3820TG-6829 13.3'' 1366x768 + i5 480m + ATI 6550 (switchable with intels), or wait for the 3830TG which should be a Sandy Bridge refresh with Nvidia GT540m, should also be really nice setup for 13.3'' laptop, portable, capable and cheap.

Last edited:
Few more options to consider for the M350 route:

The Super Talent CoreStore MV is one of the only SSDs that out that uses the Mini PCIe form factor and the Mini PCIe interface (rather than SATA or PATA in Mini PCIe form factor). That should work with any Mini ITX board with a proper Mini PCIe slot. They do seem to run at a bit of a premium though.

A 1.8" SSD might be another option. They're about half the size of a 2.5" drive so you could probably wedge it in somewhere.

Couple other compact AC-DC power bricks to look at: 90w Be Quiet and a 95w Coolermaster. Both are pretty compact (the latter especially). I didn't check compatibility with the PicoPSUs though, so you'd want to do that.

A 1.8" SSD might be another option. They're about half the size of a 2.5" drive so you could probably wedge it in somewhere.
Totally forgot about the 1.8 ssds :). This could be an option to go back into the M350 lol. I was checking X18M 80GB Ssd Drive GEN2 1.8IN Sata 5MM on intels pdf (79mm x 55mm x 5mm), The M350 has 192 x 210 x 62mm, so in theory you could place the ssd sideways, hell maybe you could even fit it on the front wifit/bluebooth compartment (im not sure but it might). This would allow to use any board and any any cooler (well not any but you wouldnt worry about the hdd brackets :D), you might need MicroSATA to SATA Adapter to use the normal sata power n data cables.

Last edited:
Suppose I go with the 1.8" SSD, I just need to make sure I am correct with my information.

I would use a MICRO SATA to SATA adapter, like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...788&cm_re=sata_adapter-_-12-200-788-_-Product

Also, since there are usually no screw holes on the 1.8" SSDs, I can just tape it to the spot where I want to put it? Since SSDs have no moving parts, I don't see why not?

I will probably take out the USB junk in the front of the case and replace it with this HDD. Regardless, it will fit in the case some where because it's so small... lol

Q08 vs SG05 vs MI-100 (identical size to mi-008)
Impressive collection, im about to build up a system on Q08 on saturday :)

As long as everything is wired correctly on the the Adapter you should just plug the sata data n power. There are a couple of bad reviews about it shorting inside, so idk, but there couple good ones, so its up to you if you go with that one or any other, thats more the quality of the item. On amazon the same adapter has 2 good reviews, so it might be fine. There are other options also, like 12IN Micro Sata Pwr Adapt Cabl for 1.8IN Ssd Hard Drives.

Also, since there are usually no screw holes on the 1.8" SSDs, I can just tape it to the spot where I want to put it? Since SSDs have no moving parts, I don't see why not?l
I would probably stick it with velcro, but if you think you wont be removing it you could double side tape it, but imo its better to have the option to remove it.

Seems you like newegg, idk what cooler you going to go for, but the newegg also has the Kouzuti, Scythe SCKZT-1000 80mm Kozuti CPU Cooler $39, but as i said before, i would probably try the intel stock cooler first. You still need to chose your motherboard, now your open to almost any board, personally would love to see Z68 mITX board, so you could have the option into OCing in the future (not recommended with such a small case, but who knows maybe you move on to bigger enclosure on the future to place a dedicated gpu etc), but a good H67 should do if you cant wait.

I would probably order the mobo + CPU + Case first, just to see how everything is fitting, you might be able to place the hdd bracket, if you have 7mm clearance you will be able to fit a intel x25m 2.5ssd or Intel 320 series (i doubt it but idk for sure), if you cant, then just order the x18m + adapter and go with how you are thinking atm.

Last edited:
Just a warning since i just finish my build, look for a mobo that doesnt have the PSU connector right next to the memory, the picoPSU 150XT has caps/electornics in front of it (i think the 160XT might have bigger caps), this might touch the ram or in the worst case not let you install it, i took a picture so you can see,

Look for mobo that have the PSU not right beside the memory slots, like Intel DH67CFB3 or if you dont like intel, ASUS P8H67-I DELUXE (this one uses laptop memory), or looks for another of your preference, here a couple of pics of mobos,

81emHQ2-TnL._AA1000_.jpg

91nyLTedfbL._AA1500_.jpg

Idk if you bought or changed your decision into laptop, but i just found out the new zotac Z68 mitx board, it could end up as the most powerful you might be able to get with in Mini ITX setup like M350. Here is the board.

zotacz68gt430itx-wifi01.jpg

It even has the PSU socket away from the memory so it could play good with the picoPSU, what i dont know if its a 160XT could drive a i7 2600k + Nvidia GT430 (build in the mobo).

I don't think that would work....maybe a 2100T or 2400S but not a 2600k

I'm looking at this motherboard, with the PICOPSU-160-XT and the M350 case. Using the i5 2500t (45w) or the i7 2600s (65w).

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine seems to think the 160w should be fine for the board including in the calculation the Nivida GT 430, a SSD drive, 2 ddr 3 sticks and 1 PCI-e x1 to count for the wifi card.

Back