APC UPS's are sweet.

STEvil

2[H]4U
Picked up an APC UPS1000 a while back (5 or so months) since the power out here is terrible, and when I came back home yesterday it was off....

Well, apparently some lighting strikes had torched a lot of stuff, including the battery in the UPS.. but my PC was still fine :D

thats more than I can say for the cows in the back pasture.. two of them got cooked from the lightning (and damn its gruesome) :eek:

Tough buggers.. this one has even survived a fall down a flight of stairs after a lan party when the straps on my bag broke (it weighs about 110lb's loaded).

Costco has even offered to swap me for a completely new UPS, gotta love 'em.. :D :D

oh yeah, still using it right now, just the battery is toast (darn image limit, cant put in a nother smiley here)

*Inser that Thread is useless w/o pics image here*

I wanna see some fryed beef, NOW!

Edit: Good to hear about the UPS. I need to buy one myself, never used anything but bargain power strip... but apparently I've been playing russian roulette. Don't need one that hardcore though

Okay.

burger.jpg

BTW you can buy a power conditioner rather than an actual uninterruptable power supply, sometimes they're cheaper while still getting a decent unit that provides much better protection than a power strip. And for anyone using a power strip - please for the love of god make sure that thing has a fuse, or it's pretty useless beyond letting you plug in more things.

Sweet pic dood!

So only difference between UPS and Power Conditioner is a UPS will leave the computer on for a few min if blackout occurs? May as well grab the power conditioner in that case

My powerstrip... running upper system in sig with my 2005FPW is a "Industrial" power strip. Basicly that means its made out of metal so you cant beat it to death... regarding the fuse... it was cheap as hell so apparently I've been playing with fire :p

In the last 2 years, I have recoverd 4 APC SmartUPS's that idiots have thrown away here on campus. (2) 600VA, 700VA, and 1000VA units. The only thing wrong with them was worn out batteries. APC UPS's are god damned bullet proof, tossed in new batts and bingo! Great stuff.

Maybe I'll find out @ my towns recycling center, herad theres alot of computer stuff lying around that's still good :D

Power conditioners don't necessarily offer surge and blackout/brownout protection. Don't buy a power conditioner assuming you get these features. Power conditioners are for cleaning up noise and undesirable characteristics of the input sinewave. They may offer surge protection features but you should check first to make sure.

So surge protector power strips dont usually offer "Power Conditioners"... but UPS's have battery backup, surge protection, and conditioner, and SOME conditioners have surge protection as well?

elfletcho said:
APC UPS's are god damned bullet proof, tossed in new batts and bingo! Great stuff.
Where'd you get new batteries from? I just picked up a SmartUPS 1400 but don't really fancy paying $100+ from APC themselves.

Vertigo Acid said:
Where'd you get new batteries from? I just picked up a SmartUPS 1400 but don't really fancy paying $100+ from APC themselves.

Those batteries last at least three years unless they get fried. Some a lot longer.
APC has software on their site to manage your computer and save your data when an outage occurs. That works real good when you are running say a DVD conversion that is long and outage occurs. That is wonderful.

Ed

Vertigo Acid said:

Google search. There are quite a few places that sell batteries for UPS units.

aug1516 said:
Google search. There are quite a few places that sell batteries for UPS units.
:rolleyes:
Thanks
My question was not "where are possible places to buy UPS batteries?"
it was
"where did you get yours?"

I've gone to an Interstate Batteries to get UPS replacements before. You might also be able to find a local shop that specializes in batteries, check the yellow pages in your phone book.

n64man120 said:
So surge protector power strips dont usually offer "Power Conditioners"... but UPS's have battery backup, surge protection, and conditioner, and SOME conditioners have surge protection as well?
Yes, typically.

Power conditioners are popular among high-end audio/video enthusiasts because they clean up the power input, which becomes increasingly important as other performance bottlenecks are ruled out. These power conditioners don't usually offer surge protection--this is handled by a dedicated unit, typically.

On the other hand, many high-quality UPS units designed for computers offer power conditioners, though they are less refined than the $1000+ power conditioners used by A/V buffs.

Yea, I'm just trying to find the cheapest solution to keep my computer from turning into toast... like battery backup isn't needed if I don't need it. But seems I do since conditioners dont usually have surge protection, and surge protectors dont protect you from voltage sags and such

Vertigo Acid said:
A burglar/fire alarm supply house may have them cheap.

n64man120 said:
Yea, I'm just trying to find the cheapest solution to keep my computer from turning into toast... like battery backup isn't needed if I don't need it. But seems I do since conditioners dont usually have surge protection, and surge protectors dont protect you from voltage sags and such
I would suggest waiting for a good APC rebate deal to come around. They seem to come around weekly or bi-weekly. You can score a nice APC UPS for $50 or less after rebate, which is a small price to pay for protection of your equipment.

Compared to a conditioner, a UPS is way better at handling surges. The internal circuitry is designed to hand the full power demand on battery. Therefore it can handle any kind of surge from the AC supply. There are more failsafes (breakers and fuses) than a power conditioner would ever dream of having. Go with at UPS it will save you money in the long run, oh and it will save you smoke damage ;)

I've seen a lot of low end ones that were basically a UPS with next to no battery life...anyway, it's another thing to look at.

I'm probably gonna pick up another one without a battery and have my uncle customize a battery for me.. he owns a big battery shop in Edmonton ;)

Still gotta take this one back, been too busy at a family reunion..

Vertigo Acid said:

I got mine from University Stores and charged it to my department :). The brand is called powertronic? or something like that. They are batteries for the emergency lights around campus but they are the same size, electrically and physically, as the batteries in the APC UPS's.

I love APC UPS's & wouldn't run a system without them!

Sam's Club has discontinued APC Back Up Pro 1100's for only $125,
these use RS232 instead of USB, they were $454 units 2yrs ago!

Sam's also had Back Up 500's for about $48, but these don't provide ethernet protection.

Dave

Back