APC SMART UPS SU1000 questions

Top Nurse

Supreme [H]ardness
I got an APC Smart Ups SU1000. Not sure which version, but if I recall correctly it came out of an IBM facility. It's making a slightly annoying buzz. Any suggestions as where I can get it fixed?

Also what are these units selling for with a new set of batteries as I found its recommend replacement on Amazon for about $450?

Mine has the connection that allows to add more batteries. Can I use any automotive batteries or am I stuck with SLA?

I got an APC Smart Ups SU1000. Not sure which version, but if I recall correctly it came out of an IBM facility. It's making a slightly annoying buzz. Any suggestions as where I can get it fixed?

Also what are these units selling for with a new set of batteries as I found its recommend replacement on Amazon for about $450?

Mine has the connection that allows to add more batteries. Can I use any automotive batteries or am I stuck with SLA?
The buzz comes from the transformer. Not easy to fix, most would replace this part and it would be expensive.
Also with external batteries known as increased runtime option, you have to use SLA as the charger is programmed specifically for their volts per cell characteristic. If you use a conventional flooded battery (auto or marine deep cycle), they will be maintained with too high of a voltage resulting in excessive gassing (bubbling electrolyte) and electrolyte loss / shortened lifetimes. Also they need proper ventilation. A good quality SLA (like Powersonic) is a bit more but will have a good life expectancy for UPS duty and can be safely used in unvented indoor applications.

The buzz comes from the transformer. Not easy to fix, most would replace this part and it would be expensive.
Have any idea what a new transformer runs? I can install it myself. Can I use larger amp batteries for extended runtime than the ones in the UPS? I only get about 15 minutes when the power goes out. On a side note are the newer ups any better as they seem much smaller?

Last edited:
Have any idea what a new transformer runs? I can install it myself. Can I use larger amp batteries for extended runtime than the ones in the UPS? I only get about 15 minutes when the power goes out. On a side note are the newer ups any better as they seem much smaller?
Not sure about price on replacement parts. I usually find them in other units that have been junked, etc.
You can extend runtime for sure as a SmartUPS has a more robust inverter thermal system and won't overheat when running full load for extended periods.
We generally prefer 1.5kVa and larger units for extended runtimes, however.

You want to compare apples to apples with new units as many are so-called "stepped sine wave equivalent" and do not feature regulation in the form of a buck/boost tap. The boost function is nice as you can still maintain 120V output even with the input voltage as low as 85V on some designs. Cheaper units would be running their inverters and shutting down when batteries are exhausted, for example.

Back