APC BX 1500 Battery Back-UPS $99.99 - $50 Rebate (Dead Deal)

FWIW, if this item is NOT $99 in store, and is, in fact, $199 in store (which is what I can see) you can get it @ samsclub for $150 with no MIR.

I know, I bought one 5 days ago.

Of course, if it IS $99 in store..... then schweet!

My link shows it $199
but, that -is- online, so, I'll have to call my local store.

My local store says the item is $199
If the O.P. has some sort of evidence to backup the $99 in-store claim, it would be MOST helpful. I do not have the flyer.

Guess a lot of people don't pay attention to other sites or even OD's website. If you add the item to your cart online, it will show $199 by default for delivery. If you choose in-store pickup, the price should drop to $99.99, unless your store(s) isn't upholding the nationwide price. The rebate is for in-store only purchases, not internet orders either for delivery or pickup. Trust me, I got two yesterday on different receipts at the $99.99 price.

I wish to amend my former statement.

I have gone to office depot directly, and can, verify, personally, that this deal is VALID.

I walked out of the store with TWO units (no names on my receipts, seperate receipts).

The second unit purchased for someone in another home.

APC is famous for not listing all their products on their website, btw

OP is correct :)

Just purchased two (seperate transaction) and it rings up at $99 + tax
The price tag said $169.99 - $70 IS - $50 Rebate = $49.99

It also spit out a 10/50 coupon for your next purchase but when I tried to use that coupon for the other purchase the computer rejected it. I guess it's a technology item so therefore 99.9% of OD coupons can't be used unless you have a nice manager or something.

Very good deal. I'm going to try a different store later to see if they accept that coupon so hopefully I can get it for $39.99!

Very hard to find link it seems. Nabbed it off of chubby billfold's site. :D

BX1500 specs

(APC calls it a "Back-UPS XS 1500VA RETAIL")

^^^ Yup, you beat me to it! I just bought it as well during lunch.

I saw this deal on a couple other "deal" sites. It looks like a well-built UPS and APC is the best in the business, at least for consumer-level UPSs. I only worry about OD's rebates since they are apparently very slow. I'm still waiting for them to fulfill a $20 MIR from a Black Friday purchase. :(

Argh... I wish they would disclose what batteries are in the unit.

(Actually, I saw on APC's site, a similar looking unit saying it had a battery cartridge that had to be replaced - not the individual batteries.)

Actually, what I want to do is hang a bunch of UPS's off a full size marine deep cycle 12v battery which is actually cheaper than replacing those little gelcells.

Anyone ever do this mod?

Actually, what I want to do is hang a bunch of UPS's off a full size marine deep cycle 12v battery which is actually cheaper than replacing those little gelcells.

Anyone ever do this mod?
You might want to check out this thread. I would suggest using a separate battery for each UPS, though. If/when the batteries from this APC UPS go in a few years, I'll replace them with a couple (at least) of regular car batteries.

Argh... I wish they would disclose what batteries are in the unit.

(Actually, I saw on APC's site, a similar looking unit saying it had a battery cartridge that had to be replaced - not the individual batteries.)

Anyone ever do this mod?

Yes it is possible with some units.

Edit:

You might want to check out this thread. I would suggest using a separate battery for each UPS, though. If/when the batteries from this APC UPS go in a few years, I'll replace them with a couple (at least) of regular car batteries.

Ha looks like I was beat.

Yes it is possible with some units.
I would even venture to say "almost every unit on the market". Smaller UPSes don't have the smarts to know how much the battery "should" hold, and larger UPSes (including the subject of this thread) can actually be expanded with additional (terribly over-priced) battery packs. In addition, batteries lose capacity over time, so UPSes can't be picky about capacity.

A word of caution, though: make sure the cables you use for the bigger batteries are hefty enough to handle the load. When I did the car battery mod, I used two 16-gauge wires (salvaged from a busted PSU) twisted together for the 12V and GND conductors. Now, my computer draws about 120W under normal conditions, which means 10A + (some fudge factor) coming from the battery. When the power went out for about an hour, I came into the room to be greeted by the smell of hot insulation. It didn't melt or catch fire, but it wasn't too far away. So make sure you use hefty-enough wire. If you're running a 24V or 48V UPS, it's not such a big deal, but for the 12V UPSes, you gotta be careful.

in case anyone is wondering about reliability and quality.

We have many of these exact models here at work, and they are great.

They have two way communication with the connected pc, unlike some of their cheaper units, allowing for direct readings of watts being drawn by all connected appliances.
It also monitors several other details related to failures and line quality etc..

nice price on a good UPS.

too bad not available at canadian staples/office depots.

Thx OP, just picked up the last one at Florida and Airline in Baton Rouge, LA.

$99.99+tax at the register and got a $10/$50 coupon and $50 MIR form. Very HOT deal IMHO.

/snagged one... The OD at 635 and Macarthur had a whole shelf a few minutes ago...

Thx OP, just picked up the last one at Florida and Airline in Baton Rouge, LA.

$99.99+tax at the register and got a $10/$50 coupon and $50 MIR form. Very HOT deal IMHO.

I've gotten the $10 off $50 with the last 2 purchases I've made at OD. Unfortunately they are not good for technology items (and neither are most other OD coupons.)

I also got a $5 off $15 purchase for copy/print purchases, which I don't imagine I'll be using. Anyone want mine?

I am tempted to get one...But I have a few questions first.

Is it necessary or a valuable component to have?

I see that only 2 outlets have surge protection, I would think thats more important then a battery back up for a short time?

could someone explain to me why I would need one?

Thanks!!!!

Is it necessary or a valuable component to have?
I find it valuable, because if the power glitches or goes out, my computer keeps running. If you're working on a project, it's great if you don't lose your work if the power dips for a moment.
I see that only 2 outlets have surge protection, I would think thats more important then a battery back up for a short time?
All the outlets have surge protection. Those two are marked that way because they have surge protection but no battery back-up. So if you lose power, those outlets lose power. This is good for peripherals (printer, scanner, that sort of thing) that aren't so important to keep up.
could someone explain to me why I would need one?
I like it for two reasons: 1) it provides somewhat better protection from nasty stuff on the electrical grid than a surge protector, and 2) it keeps my computer from shutting down in case of a power dip. It runs as several kinds of servers, and it's running Folding@Home, so I want it up 100% of the time.

ok, if all the outlets are surge protected...that makes it worth it to me. Plus the added battery back up is nice.

Thanks!

There are quite a few in stock at the North Houston (West Rd. and I-45) store.

thanks op! just got back from office depot with this killer UPS. bigger than i expected and an amazing deal. lets just hope this damn rebate doesnt take a year

More importantly, printers are power hogs. You don't want them drawing off your UPS battery at all.

sorry i didnt reply to any of the post, ive been busy. but yes i thought it was a good deal, glad i could share the info.

According to the ad, it ends today....I'm sad,I wanted a few too..:)

In for one, thanks OP!

Atlanta-Alpharetta-Windward Store had none on display, I found one by itself near the stock area. Had a guy check and they had more in stock and were getting them out when I left. Don't know how many.

Deal ends Sunday 2/17. Today.

thePP

Sweet Deal! I was hoping it would include the RJ45 and/or coax surge protection but for $50, can't pass up 1500VA of battery backup goodness. Also, I got the last one at the Roseville, MN store.

Awesome deal! I just picked one up yesterday, and just finished hooking it all up, now I want the power to go out:cool:

Well these are all sold out in Oklahoma City, apparently have been since yesterday.

I actually already own 2 of these, paid $150 after rebates (over the last 2 years) and they are great units. Especially good for voltage cleaning-regulation in hotter cities where the power can brown out in the summer. A brown out means the ac voltage drops from the normal 110-120v range to like 75 to 90 volts. Some thing this is no big deal, like lights, fans. But for sensitive electronics it can be bad. At the least you could lock up, maybe lose data or zap track 0, and at worst something could malfunction and fry (hey it could happen).

The power apparently isn't the best where I live, so I have had an APC UPS for several years now and have never had any problems with losing equipment to surges, blackouts or brownouts. I have a friend that lives close by who has never had a UPS and in that same time frame, he has had to replace his computer power supply three times (and two of the three that he replaced are identical to PSUs in computers I have in my house that are still humming along just fine). I guess that goes to show that they work... :)

In for one, thanks OP!

Atlanta-Alpharetta-Windward Store had none on display, I found one by itself near the stock area. Had a guy check and they had more in stock and were getting them out when I left. Don't know how many.

Deal ends Sunday 2/17. Today.

thePP

You mean Saturday the 17th.

I'm going to leave the house soon to see if my local OD still has this UPS in stock.

Back