anything to look for in a used PS4?

Corporal79

Gawd
trading an RC car I have for a PS4, is there anything I should look for when making sure it works other than the fact that it gets to the main interface?

Wouldn't do it man. I got burned just a couple months ago. Got a perfectly good looking PS4 off Craigslist. Guy was asking for $300. Gave him $200 cash and a tablet, he sent me multiple video clips and photos of it working. Met him at Gamestop and seemed like a really nice dude, exchanged, got it home, go through setup process, and start messing with system settings and it turns off. Flashing blue light of death. Guy says it worked fine when he last used it and won't give me my money/stuff back. He thinks i'm trying to scam him. I said it legit doesn't work, but he won't budge.

So I find out the PS4 is still under warranty, but they won't fix it unless I have the original receipt is what the Sony guy over the phone told me. A Gamestop employee tells me to call them back and just say that you won it in a church raffle or something and they won't need a receipt. Do that, get Sony to send me a prepaid warranty box, send it back to Sony, and get system back after a week. System functions perfectly. Sell it on Ebay for more than I paid for it (although, I still lost in the end b/c of shipping costs). Email guy and told him what I thought of what happened. :cool:

Oh, and then I went and bought a brand new PS4 at Best Buy and the 3 year accidental protection warranty from Sony for $60. Btw, you can't buy the extended warranty from Sony unless you have a receipt so just keep that in mind. I can't say you'll always get burned with used stuff because the greatest deal I ever got was a Wii U on Craigslist for like $150 and that was with Super Mario 3D World. So be cautious, but I would try it before you buy it. Like, before you trade anything or give money to anyone.

Personally, I would keep checking Slickdeals.net and look for deals. That's how I got my PS4 and Xbox One. I would also check here on a regular basis: http://www.reddit.com/r/consoledeals/

Just a few days ago they had a insane deal on a PS4 which included a brand new PS4 Last of Us bundle, official Sony Silver gaming headset, 3 months PS+, and a $100 Dell eGift card for $400 which is usually the price of the console alone. Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/consoledeals/comments/33k4b9/ps4_the_last_of_us_remastered_bundle_and_sony/

It's not valid anymore, although it does include the headset still from Dell.

Anyway, my advice is to wait and buy new. Otherwise, be very cautious and be aware that once that warranty runs out (if it isn't already) then you're SOL. Also, if you can get the serial number from the console and enter it into Sony's website here https://scea.secure.force.com/service do so, because then you'll have a little more peace of mind knowing you have a warranty. And like I said, if you need to get it serviced just say you won it.

trading an RC car I have for a PS4, is there anything I should look for when making sure it works other than the fact that it gets to the main interface?

Like the other poster said, beware private party sales. Personally i'd amend that to say never do private party sales, stick with reputable stores.

ended up selling the RC car and picking up a new The Last of Us Bundle. I also grabbed Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and started that last night.

I'm now looking for a GTAV code to save a few bucks

ended up selling the RC car and picking up a new The Last of Us Bundle. I also grabbed Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and started that last night.

I'm now looking for a GTAV code to save a few bucks

Good on you man. Don't fucking buy used electronics.

I tend to buy consoles brand new. Never use craigslist, site is a fucking cesspool.

I got my Wii U used. The difference is I got it from a reputable local shop. (not gamestop, I avoid them if at all possible)

I've had no problems with it so far, they're pretty good at giving things a good once over. (plus you get a limited warranty from them, like 30 days or something like that)

Back