Anyone try to fix a crack in a display?

So I have a small crack in my display, about halfway up the middle of the screen. It's very thin and actually not visible when gaming. So it's more of a minor annoyance. I've looked into getting a replacement but I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried repairing a crack in a laptop screen? I'm tempted to try something on a small area at the bottom of the screen if I knew of something that might make the crack even less noticeable.

I don't know if you can replaced the actual cracked part of the screen on a laptop. I have replaced many actual displays in laptops though. It's super easy, just takes a little while and you have to make sure you keep track of the tiny screws and where they go. You may have to email the manufacturer to find out what display is in there, but after that just ebay it.

By the way, your sig says you have a 17 foot laptop :p

Sounds more like a scratch than a crack, you can't really buff it out but if it gets worse as mentioned you can replace it.

I don't know if you can replaced the actual cracked part of the screen on a laptop. I have replaced many actual displays in laptops though. It's super easy, just takes a little while and you have to make sure you keep track of the tiny screws and where they go. You may have to email the manufacturer to find out what display is in there, but after that just ebay it.

By the way, your sig says you have a 17 foot laptop :p

I'm just curious if anyone has tried some sort of clear plastic filler on a laptop screen before. As mentioned it's more of an annoyance and not really noticeable when gaming so I debate whether to spend a couple hundred dollars to replace the screen. Sig noted, thanks. I may even try a little super glue on a small area at the bottom to see if it will fill the crack and then use nail polish remover to clean off the excess smudges. If I fuck it up, then I guess I will replace it.

DO NOT use superglue. It will cloud a much larger area of the screen than where you apply it.

You could try one of those windshield crack repair kits that the auto parts stores have. They are made especially for small cracks and stars in glass.

Can you post clear pics of what this crack looks like?

Is your screen glossy?

DO NOT use superglue. It will cloud a much larger area of the screen than where you apply it.

You could try one of those windshield crack repair kits that the auto parts stores have. They are made especially for small cracks and stars in glass.

Can you post clear pics of what this crack looks like?

Is your screen glossy?

Noted, thanks. I'll work on a couple pics but I'm at work now. It's not shiny glossy like glass. It's a matte screen.

From the original order: Display: 17.3" FullHD 16:9 LED Display (1080p) matte screen

It wont be glass on the screen (it's not an edge to edge glass display) be careful of any products you use which could damage the protective coating on the panel.

Noted, thanks. I'll work on a couple pics but I'm at work now. It's not shiny glossy like glass. It's a matte screen.

From the original order: Display: 17.3" FullHD 16:9 LED Display (1080p) matte screen

Ok, I'm not sure i would even try to mess with a matte screen. Are you sure it isn't just a scratch?

Usually, when an LCD screen cracks, it messes up the display itself.

Pics of the CRACK for your viewing pleasure. As you can see it is only noticeable with solid white or black background.

Looks like a scratch, and unfortunately too big to try to get clever with. I would just try replacing it completely.

Here's a cracked LCD,

c01608585.jpg

yeah.. definitely a scratch.

That would bug me to death.

What exactly happened to it?

OK you guys call it a scratch if you want. I'm not here to debate that. A glass slipped out of my hand and dropped right on top of the laptop right above the keypad near the power button at the top middle. If you look closely at the first photo you can see the crack extends below the screen itself into the frame. The glass in question was a typical pint beer glass like this:

243px-pint_glass_mixingsvg.png

I'll take my time figuring out how to approach it but I will try something. Might as well before I replace the screen. If I have some success I will report back in.

The difference in an LCD is that if a crack penetrated into the layers then the liquid crystal would be damaged along with the traces transmitting data to each pixel rendering the screen at least partially useless.

Since the screen works otherwise the damage must be in the surface protective coating and not be all the way through.

What he could be looking at is that the Anti Glare coating did in fact "crack" while the underlying LCD didn't (I realize this is incredibly long odds). Personally, If you are feeling thrifty ---- just remove the AG coating. There is plenty of information on how to do that here.

If you mess it up you are in for an LCD anyways, which on a laptop is incredibly cheap $40-$80 unless you have something crazy.

If its a ayer peeling off then you could give that a try.

Back