Anyone Try One Of The Xeon "Conroe Series" Chips?

The Doc

[H]ard|Gawd
Newegg now has Xeon processors listed on their site based on the "Conroe" core. Has anyone tried one of these yet, and if so what was your overclocking experience like?

hemi said:
You mean Woodcrest?

No.. the 3000 series Xeons are just rebadged Conroe that are supposed to be used in the UP server/workstation boards (3000 Series Chipsets). They are LGA775 and will work in any conroe ready board.

The only real advantage as I understand it is a better warranty. They don't seem to overclock better or run any cooler or really have any technical advantages over consumer c2d's at all. They just cost a bit more.

schizo said:
The only real advantage as I understand it is a better warranty. They don't seem to overclock better or run any cooler or really have any technical advantages over consumer c2d's at all. They just cost a bit more.

Then why would they have a better warranty? ;)

Bill

Interesting. Sorta like the S939 Opterons without better binning...

I guess they had a need for the Xeon brand in that market, so that's the part they had to deliver. Woodcrest/Conroe/Merom are effectively the same, right? Other than the obvious different power targets. I'm somewhat uneducated on the architecture, but the base design is the same AFAIK.

I'd be interested to see if there's a change down the road...

Tom

hemi said:
Interesting. Sorta like the S939 Opterons without better binning...

I guess they had a need for the Xeon brand in that market, so that's the part they had to deliver. Woodcrest/Conroe/Merom are effectively the same, right? Other than the obvious different power targets. I'm somewhat uneducated on the architecture, but the base design is the same AFAIK.

I'd be interested to see if there's a change down the road...

Tom

Who says they are with out the better binning. They might be binned better, b/c of the higher requirements for server reliability, sometimes cramped 1U cases, etc.... These MIGHT be more "cherry picked" CPUs.

Someone buy one & test it out, it doesn't hurt at they're the same price as the equivalent Core 2.

Too bad they don't have a slower (800) FSB like some Xeons in the past (or the upcoming 4300's), that'd be nice to have higher multipliers!!! :cool:

People have bought and tested them on other forums. They're just rebadged conroes.

I mean, normal conroes overclock like a bat out of hell. People get 100% overclocks on 6300s. How much more can you realistically expect? The consumer chips are the best overclockers in years, flat out.

schizo said:
People have bought and tested them on other forums. They're just rebadged conroes.

I mean, normal conroes overclock like a bat out of hell. People get 100% overclocks on 6300s. How much more can you realistically expect? The consumer chips are the best overclockers in years, flat out.

Yeah but 100% sucks. You're 6300 ONLY does 3.6Ghz.... (reference to my other thread) I want 200%. J/K

chrisf6969 said:
Who says they are with out the better binning. They might be binned better, b/c of the higher requirements for server reliability, sometimes cramped 1U cases, etc.... These MIGHT be more "cherry picked" CPUs.

I don't know, I was merely restating what I read. You'd think they would be better binned considering the market Intel is targetting, but let's face it, the Conroe appears to have so much headroom Intel probably really doesn't need to. I don't know what it costs to bin them, and maybe nothing since they're doing it anyway (for all the speed grades)...but why would they do it specifically for Xeon branded product if they don't have to?

I know we'd all like that though. :D

TM

Back