Anyone still play DDR/Stepmania/In The Groove?

Yossarian22

[H]ard|Gawd
About three to four years ago a bunch of friends introduced me to Dance Dance Revolution and it was quite a bit of fun. Eventually I moved on to getting my own pad and playing the same songpacks but for Stepmania. Nothing fancy, though. Not one of those crazies with a metal pad. I did want one of the foam pads but at the time I did the xbox-->USB physical connector hack and all was well.

I was never the type to go into an arcade (should you be able to find one that isn't inside a shopping mall) and show off or go to professional tournaments or anything like that. I wasn't that good, it was just something to pass the time and it was a different way to interact with a video game. It was a good way to play, get sweaty, burn 500 calories in about an hour and play straw-drawn tournaments with friends.

Eventually, I stopped playing. I can't quite put my finger quite on why exactly. Perhaps the lack of songs I found interesting? The songs for DDR are hit or miss. Lots are grating J-Pop songs that are remixed to bass heavy house versions or Happy House genres of music. I imagine that getting the licensing rights to the songs to insert into the games were expensive. This is pre-DLC mind you, someone could probably make a killing if they released something with lots of DLC/content support for the console platforms.

That being said, I've been considering getting a pad again and making custom charts for more amicable euro dance songs of the mid 90s and other genres that are "DDR-able" as well as make multi-pad songs. One thing that turned me off was the difficulty and the insertion of 16th notes into some songs, I would have liked the usage of multiple stages/pads vs. just increased tempo 8th/16th steps.

Or am I less masculine because I admitted to playing such a game and the fact that I am reconsidering it? ;)

Never played any of those but I do play Dance Central (Kinect) with my wife on a regular basis.

Back in high school I used to A clear 10's without the bar with ease (extreme ac). Don't think I ever AA'd any of em though (at least not on ac). Maybe Max 300. Then ITG came out, I got into SM, pretty much stopped playing DDR, and picked up IIDX . I still dabble a bit with SM, but not like I used to.

I play every now and then. I get into it in phases it seems. I play like a madman for a month or so then don't play at all for a while etc. It started in highschool when I played for 5 hours straight on my friend's pad when I first got into it (I could barely walk the next day). I went through 3 or 4 foam pads (the thicker ones, not the gimpy ones). I've always wanted to get a metal pad but there's no good place for it in my apartment and those buggers are heavy / inconvenient.

In college, I actually took a "DDR Class" to meet my PE requirement. It was an absolute blast. We first started with one of the old arcade machines that the DDR club had (yes there was a DDR club). We then moved onto two cobalt flux pads in the gym with a projector on the wall. We used a mix of ITG/DDR/Custom songs. The great thing about stepmania / ITG2 client is that the songs are pretty much interchangeable.

Back