Anyone playing Quake 2 remastered?

revenant

[H]F Squad Captain
It's pretty goddamned good. The update is free if you own it on GOG or Steam.. It rips... Very very very welcomed update to the game that defined gaming for me ... one of the games... Doom, Quake II (CTF and Lithium mod), Duke 3D, Unreal.. Half Life in there somewhere... I came home and played QII CTF for 6 to 8 hours a night for 6 mos straight... I lived to play that game in 98/99. It's so nostalgic to get back into it.

The level design on the new campaign is very well done. You have to literally use every weapon you have at the right times to get through the rooms. The new campaign is more like Doom with so many baddies coming out of dropped walls... I am getting good with the rail gun.. it was never my favorite, was always a dual shotty hyperblaster kinda guy.. but the rail gun is so potent - feels like a kitted triple take in Apex - almost like a shotty but has range too. The nades are annoyingly long in tossing.. I think that is my only complaint and it's just how the game is... but I am used to Apex nades... LOL! Quake II and Apex are so similar to me.. Both my biggest video game obsessions ... I have 2800 hours into Apex - no ideal on Quake II.. more 1000 hours for sure. I am so glad Night Dive Studios brought this back from the dead!!

Any one else playing this??

Last edited:
I'm playing it. I also play Apex. How good are you at Apex?
Boy that's a loaded question.. LOL. I uh.. am a little reckless but I have gotten good at being so lol. I am a good ass team player and stick with the team and always offer up good weap mods... I am a pathy octane guy with a mix of mirage.. I like my fast bois and you want me to be fast... it's best for everyone lol. The kitted havoc and prowler are my favorite weapons... honorable mentions eva8 ... r99 (aka the bullet waster).. hemlock single fire with a 2x hcog.. I will fucking kill peeps with that... single fire is so dead accurate and you can land them shots so fast... I have a lot of time into this game.. and so many ups and downs.. but mostly ups now.. just been out of it for a few mos but looking to get back in. I am crumple_z0ne on EA ... and crumple_z0nee on discord..

with a fully kitted havoc I will win every 1v1.. That has the best stopping power in the game imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quiz
like this
Boy that's a loaded question.. LOL. I uh.. am a little reckless but I have gotten good at being so lol. I am a good ass team player and stick with the team and always offer up good weap mods... I am a pathy octane guy with a mix of mirage.. I like my fast bois and you want me to be fast... it's best for everyone lol. The kitted havoc and prowler are my favorite weapons... honorable mentions eva8 ... r99 (aka the bullet waster).. hemlock single fire with a 2x hcog.. I will fucking kill peeps with that... single fire is so dead accurate and you can land them shots so fast... I have a lot of time into this game.. and so many ups and downs.. but mostly ups now.. just been out of it for a few mos but looking to get back in. I am crumple_z0ne on EA ... and crumple_z0nee on discord..

with a fully kitted havoc I will win every 1v1.. That has the best stopping power in the game imo.
Do you play with a controller or mouse and keyboard?

Do you play with a controller or mouse and keyboard?
Mouse and KB sir/maam... corsair k70 mk.2 with a corsair Glave mouse. 400dpi lol! my poor mouse

Last edited:
like this
Mouse and KB sir/maam... corsair k70 mk.2 with a corsair Glave mouse. 400dpi lol! my poor mouse
Just in the firing range now.. the R9 has as good as stopping power as the havoc... they are just dirty when used right.

like this
Just in the firing range now.. the R9 has as good as stopping power as the havoc... they are just dirty when used right.
I spend a lot of time in the Firing Range. Just practicing aiming and movement. I usually pick Octane whenever I can.

By the way, do you experience any input lag in the game when playing? This is the only game where the mouse doesn't feel 100% accurate to my mouse movements and whatnot. I have tried limiting my fps to 100 fps which, I think, made an improvement but aiming while shooting still feels off. My mouse feels pretty much perfect in Battlefield V.

I spend a lot of time in the Firing Range. Just practicing aiming and movement. I usually pick Octane whenever I can.

By the way, do you experience any input lag in the game when playing? This is the only game where the mouse doesn't feel 100% accurate to my mouse movements and whatnot. I have tried limiting my fps to 100 fps which, I think, made an improvement but aiming while shooting still feels off. My mouse feels pretty much perfect in Battlefield V.
I don’t …I have my game at 4k 120hz and my mouse at 400hz… I beat my mouse up. but I’ll look for it now. Octane is my main.. pathy second.. dude the zip is so handy. I spent hours in the range yesterday and I’m about to do the same today. I don’t know about this latency thing. I’ve never experienced it

Edit: I love the firing range.. I know how fast I can drop someone per weapon.. the r9 is dirty.. gotta land those shots though.

I love the longbow.. too..

Last edited:
Quake II and Apex are so similar to me..

It's funny you notice that. Imho there is a feel to movement that just seems to haunt stuff that used iDtech 1 & 2, even if it's distant by the time to get to the Source engine used in Apex.

p.s. "haunt" in a good way.

It's funny you notice that. Imho there is a feel to movement that just seems to haunt stuff that used iDtech 1 & 2, even if it's distant by the time to get to the Source engine used in Apex.

p.s. "haunt" in a good way.
For sure… apex feels like q2… fast n furious! Same slippery rollerblades down the hallway feel.. lol!

I don’t …I have my game at 4k 120hz and my mouse at 400hz… I beat my mouse up. but I’ll look for it now. Octane is my main.. pathy second.. dude the zip is so handy. I spent hours in the range yesterday and I’m about to do the same today. I don’t know about this latency thing. I’ve never experienced it

Edit: I love the firing range.. I know how fast I can drop someone per weapon.. the r9 is dirty.. gotta land those shots though.

I love the longbow.. too..
Only 400 Hz? Most decent mice have a polling rate of 1000 Hz minimum these days.

I recently completed all the Q2 stuff, after having never played any of it originally. I can understand why lots of people don't recall the SP being that great. The updates like the compass really help with the backtracking you have to do. I also liked the new expansion a lot more than the first 2.

Overall I had fun and I'd say it's worth a playthrough.

Back