Anyone owns the Asus ROG Z790 series motherboard?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
For those who own the above, did you buy a special PSU that connects to 2 x 8 pin motherboard "dual procool II power connectors"?

as most motherboard only have 1, and only high end PSU c/w 2 x 8 pin power secondary connectors

and while I'm looking at that Z790, what is the a surface mount connector, and what's a flush mount connector and what's the difference btwn. those 2? as google image search is very misleading in their result

my prev. motherboard was a workstation class motherboard w/ 2 CPU, so I do need 2 x 8 pin. My current motherboard doesn't, just 1 x 8 pin. My PSU is only 850W as I've done an online electricity demand before I spec. out my PSU. I use Enermax as they are 10 yr. warranty and they have been power co. since 1970's. EVGA is an OEM of someone else PSU

The second one is mostly for marketing reasons. Only a 14900k needs 2 if it is unrestrained.
Leaving one unplugged is totally ok.

The second one is mostly for marketing reasons. Only a 14900k needs 2 if it is unrestrained.
I guess it depends on what you mean by unrestrained... A single 8 PIN CPU power connector can provide up to 384W to the CPU. Unless you're doing exotic cooling/overclocking- that single 8 PIN will suffice for a 14900k or any consumer platform (non HEDT / server).

For those who own the above, did you buy a special PSU that connects to 2 x 8 pin motherboard "dual procool II power connectors"?
Dual Procool II Power connectors is marketing bullshit. Essentially, the manufacturer uses slightly thicker power connector pins in the plug receptacle and their marketing team made up the name. It's just a standard 8-pin CPU power connector.
as most motherboard only have 1, and only high end PSU c/w 2 x 8 pin power secondary connectors
No, most motherboards have two CPU power connectors. Sometimes one of them is a 4-pin. This has basically been the case for several years now. I can't think of a single board I've reviewed in the last decade that didn't have two connectors.
and while I'm looking at that Z790, what is the a surface mount connector, and what's a flush mount connector and what's the difference btwn. those 2? as google image search is very misleading in their result
I'm not sure which connectors you are talking about. Regardless, its probably irrelevant.
my prev. motherboard was a workstation class motherboard w/ 2 CPU, so I do need 2 x 8 pin. My current motherboard doesn't, just 1 x 8 pin. My PSU is only 850W as I've done an online electricity demand before I spec. out my PSU.
I'm not sure I understand this. I would simply advise that you use both connectors if your PSU and motherboard each have two 8-pin connectors.
I use Enermax as they are 10 yr. warranty and they have been power co. since 1970's.
The 10 year warranty is fine. As for how long they've been in business, its not really relevant. You can make a bad product if you've been in business 100 years. (Look at HP, Ford, GM, etc. for examples.)
EVGA is an OEM of someone else PSU
Incorrect. EVGA doesn't build power supplies. Someone else OEM's them for EVGA.
Generally speaking, this is true.
I guess it depends on what you mean by unrestrained... A single 8 PIN CPU power connector can provide up to 384W to the CPU. Unless you're doing exotic cooling/overclocking- that single 8 PIN will suffice for a 14900k or any consumer platform (non HEDT / server).
Unrestrained would be setting the PLL limits to 4096w in the BIOS. This is effectively allowing the CPU to pull however much power it wants.

Back