Anyone out there with a PPU try the GRAW demo?

uzor

Supreme [H]ardness
Like the title says, have any of the few of you that have your PPUs already tried the GRAW demo? Are there in game physics settings? What are your thoughts? Shiny pics?

Thanks.

Sorry no not me.

But after trying the demo LOL I'm not spending $300 bucks to buy a ppu card for this game.
LOL its not worth it.
I'll still buy the game though but not a ppu card for it sorry. :D

A friend of mine in another board posted his comments after downloading the demo. Right after he uninstalled it. It was too consolish and wasn't anything like ghost recon at all.

Sly said:
A friend of mine in another board posted his comments after downloading the demo. Right after he uninstalled it. It was too consolish and wasn't anything like ghost recon at all.

I don't think the OP cares much about whether or not people like the game so much as whether or not having a PPU made a big difference. ;)

StalkerZER0 said:
Sorry no not me.

But after trying the demo LOL I'm not spending $300 bucks to buy a ppu card for this game.
LOL its not worth it.
I'll still buy the game though but not a ppu card for it sorry. :D

There is a $300 "only works with GRAW" edition ppu?

Its been tested at ocuk forums, and the results are not to great.

1st scene without ppu = 46fps
1st scene with ppu = 30fps

2nd scene without ppu = 34 fps
2nd scene with ppu = 24 fps

The link, with a picture of each scene is here http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17568825

In the end the user turned off his ppu so he could play the game with a smooth framerate. Now he might not have top of the range hardware, but a 7800GTX, is a lot more powerfull than what most of the gaming population are using at the moment. Hopefully this isnt a sign of things to come, otherwise just to be able to use the PPU , your going to need to have the most powerfull GPU available or a SLI setup. Which 99% of people are not going to do :(

Kudos to lowrider007 for testing.

those screenshots are laughable...looks like tiny bits flying all over the place. for $200-250, f that.

Those screens were really unimpressive.

The framerate drop is unacceptable as well..

Toytown said:

The link, with a picture of each scene is here http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17568825

In the end the user turned off his ppu so he could play the game with a smooth framerate. Now he might not have top of the range hardware, but a 7800GTX, is a lot more powerfull than what most of the gaming population are using at the moment. Hopefully this isnt a sign of things to come, otherwise just to be able to use the PPU , your going to need to have the most powerfull GPU available or a SLI setup. Which 99% of people are not going to do :(

I think I just heard Ageia bite the dust

In case any were too lazy to step over to the link

The game was running at

16 X AF
No AA
1280x1024
All settings on Max

His system

P4 [email protected]
2GB Ram
7800GTX
PhysX PPU

Looking like a 35-40% drop in FPS (too lazy to calculate)

When he had the PPU off, he recorded fps while staring at a wall. He then tested the game with a PPU while staring into open ground with large-scale destruction. That is a piss-poor way to compare IMO. Go turn on a FPS and stare at a wall, you will see your fps go up a lot. Then go stare at some large-scale destruction over open ground.

cyks said:
When he had the PPU off, he recorded fps while staring at a wall. He then tested the game with a PPU while staring into open ground with large-scale destruction. That is a piss-poor way to compare IMO. Go turn on a FPS and stare at a wall, you will see your fps go up a lot. Then go stare at some large-scale destruction over open ground.

What the hell are you talking about.....go take a look again

He compares two scenarios, one where there are particle effects from shooting at a wall and the second where where a car is blown up, both with and without the PPU.

Seems like the most logical way to test the performance of a PPU
:rolleyes:

Goodbye ageia, you were fun.

Weird how ageia didn't send out many tester cards eh? If I had a great product that would blow people away, I would want to show it off, even if just for a short 1 game preview. Alas, nothing.. surprising?

When he had the PPU off, he recorded fps while staring at a wall. He then tested the game with a PPU while staring into open ground with large-scale destruction. That is a piss-poor way to compare IMO. Go turn on a FPS and stare at a wall, you will see your fps go up a lot. Then go stare at some large-scale destruction over open ground

I don't think you read the thread correctly, the first two screens are without the PPU, and the second two with the PPU, they are the exact same locations.

Ooops! lol. I thought the second from the top was with PPU enabled because it looked better than the very bottom (which apparently is with the PPU enabled). The bottom one makes the shrapnel look like black paper. lol, that does suck!

Toytown said:
I don't think you read the thread correctly,
I didn't even read it at all, sorry.

The problem with his ss's is they are taken in different points in time. They look different because of that. Just look at the gun flash.

XSNiper said:
The problem with his ss's is they are taken in different points in time. They look different because of that. Just look at the gun flash.

Stop trying to nitpick, he says he experiences a 10-15 drop in fps with the ppu enabled
:rolleyes:

The game sucks as is, I have a 6800 GT, and even on the settings it suggested, it ran piss poor. I'm guessing the frame rate drop was due too the rendering being so inefficient it dropped with the increased detail. Don't forget though, I'm guessing and read my sig.

Toytown said:

That's atleast a 25% drop. It's worse than was predicted.

Sly said:
That's atleast a 25% drop. It's worse than was predicted.
I wish he took some measurements using FRAPS. Framerates fluctuate...this could be a worst-case scenario.

Has anybody here even considered the fact that this is the first game to use the technology and it was probably implemented as an afterthought and done half-assedly. :rolleyes:

Blame the developers of the game for its terrible performance and cheesy particle effect, not Ageia.

Blame the developers of the game for its terrible performance and cheesy particle effect, not Ageia.

True, but Ageia could really be helping itself out here, by showing some really awesome demos of the physics PPU whilst showing off great graphics, and really show what a 200-300$ card can do to make one's gaming experience really go to the next level. Instead they give us a crappy demo with a few buildingblocks which get knocked down or something. I mean there hardly doing themselves any real favours here.

I understand that physics does not mean graphics, however the market there aiming at (gamers), need to be shown how the ppu can enhance there experience of a game, and as above Ageia give us not a lot, so the gamers/early adopters have to go on what content they can show, and unfortunately at the moment that is GRAW, like it or lump it.

I still cant work out, why they didnt just get a mini-demo of cellfactor or something, shipped with there cards, you know perhaps just an area the size of a football field with hundreds of the objects shown in the cellfactor MPG's all over the place, where the user could run around and cause mayhem, in a great graphic environment which could truly show how it compliments there system.

Really. Had it been my show, I would have looked at it kinda like a new video game console. You make the hardware, and they you make a few little games for it and send them out together...basically give the other developers some ideas of what it can do, and give the customers something to play with until the real games come out.

Toytown said:
Ageia could really be helping itself out here... etc etc

Yeah, Ageia should have made some really kickass playable demos to ship with the first cards, but thinking they have anything at all to do with this game is just wrong. They sold the liscence and made their money, and that is it. The developers of the game are entirely responsible for the implementation of the technology they liscenced. Just because they did a piss poor job of it in this game does not mean the entire technology should be thrown out the window, as many in this thread seem to think (not you in particular, the people saying "this is the end of Ageia", and other such stupidity).

Think of it as buying a hammer and using it exclusively to swat flies. The maker of the hammer isn't to blame that you are an idiot. And just because you break some windows and put holes in your wall doesn't mean the technology to make the hammer is doomed. Eventually someone will figure out how to use it properly :D

The game defaulted to AF 8X and I had 4X MSAA and it ran really good at 1280x1024 on my 7800GT. Just so you can see how things are going for the game as far a gfx card performance requirements.

CodeX said:
Yeah, Ageia should have made some really kickass playable demos to ship with the first cards, but thinking they have anything at all to do with this game is just wrong. They sold the liscence and made their money, and that is it. The developers of the game are entirely responsible for the implementation of the technology they liscenced. Just because they did a piss poor job of it in this game does not mean the entire technology should be thrown out the window, as many in this thread seem to think (not you in particular, the people saying "this is the end of Ageia", and other such stupidity)

But that is the scary part... the fact that the game developers are soley responsible for the PhysX implimentation.... they can hardly churn out a great game today or one without major problems... whats gonna make you think they are going to do this right for such a small niche market. Thats the only part that makes me worry a little.

Toytown said:
True, but Ageia could really be helping itself out here, by showing some really awesome demos of the physics PPU whilst showing off great graphics, and really show what a 200-300$ card can do to make one's gaming experience really go to the next level. Instead they give us a crappy demo with a few buildingblocks which get knocked down or something. I mean there hardly doing themselves any real favours here.

indeed, I don't understand why the A-boys did not spend some cash on getting a good game to support their stuff. To be honest, without a killer app very, very few people are going to buy one and that means that the mid to long-term prospects for Ageia look pretty bad.

drizzt81 said:
indeed, I don't understand why the A-boys did not spend some cash on getting a good game to support their stuff. To be honest, without a killer app very, very few people are going to buy one and that means that the mid to long-term prospects for Ageia look pretty bad.

Maybe the retail kits will be different. Remember that right now all we are seeing is OEM cards. An OEM video card doesn't come with any games or demo's either, just the card and the web address for the driver download. But the retail kits usually come with 2 games, a video editor, win DVD, a driver disk, and a pile of dial-up ISP coupons. We may not value all that as much with vid cards these days because there is so much more to choose form, but let's don lynch Ageia quite yet.

Keep in mind everyone, that this is still a Demo with a brand new tech. I never judge a games performance by the demo. You can get an idea of performance, but it most likely won't be the same. FarCry was a good example of that.

Keep in mind everyone, that this is still a Demo with a brand new tech. I never judge a games performance by the demo

Thats quite true in most cases, however the full game is already gold, so i wouldnt expect too many differences between the two

Who is to blame is the least of our concerns. What I see is a poor demo of hardware physics. Not good for Ageia. Everyone does not have such an understanding of hardware implementation, due to the research overhead.

Sly said:

Who was it? Maybe I know him. I use the same name on the top forum for the ghost recon games... www.ghostrecon.net
Actually, my name there is "Stalker_Zero".
I need to talk to him. Right now the community is split. Some like it and think its the bestest game ever gee wilikers! While the rest realize that this is not going to replace GR.
Its a shame.
Because I tell ya I was going to spend whatever amount of money they were going to charge for the ppu ageia cards. But not after this demo. The diesel engine they chose for the game sucks. Its not bad but its simply TOO OLD! No way I'm spending mucho dinero for a ppu card that won't really show much of anything that the card could do.

Frankly, somebody like valve or perhaps crytek with their "crysis" game should take the plunge and write their game so that it makes the use of a ppu card mandatory. Then you will see stuff that would make your purchase worth the money. ;)

uzor said:
Maybe the retail kits will be different. Remember that right now all we are seeing is OEM cards. An OEM video card doesn't come with any games or demo's either, just the card and the web address for the driver download. But the retail kits usually come with 2 games, a video editor, win DVD, a driver disk, and a pile of dial-up ISP coupons. We may not value all that as much with vid cards these days because there is so much more to choose form, but let's don lynch Ageia quite yet.

I dunno about that, the ONLY differences between OEM and Retail are the bundles and the warranty. People dont buy retail AMD processors because they alone overclock much better than OEM. People buy retail if they want a fan and a warranty. Overclockers will be using aftermarket cooling as a whole and do not care about warranties because they are voiding it the first chance they get. So your point is not a good one at all.

I also have to agree with Codex. If you have a new tool that you are unsure of the potential, it will take time to become comfortable with it. I honestly think that with time, we will see better and better implementations of the PhysX card. I say give the developers more time, and who knows, we may see some patches and bonus packs to fix and improve on. I don't see the justification for getting all in a bunch about it. Give it time, let the developers and the crazy "must-have-all-new-bleeding-edge-tech" people the time to find and fix bugs and complaints and things will get better with each passing revision.

It's my personal belief that the PhysX card is working properly, but the unanticipated side effect of this is on the video card's court now. They (video driver dev's) need to optimize their drivers to offload more physic's ops to the card when it is present so that it can then focus on rendering the end result of the calculations. Physic's calculations are not going to help render an extremely polygon rich environment. You will get a more dynamic environment, but now its time for the graphics cards to adjust to the needed horsepower to render the individual pixels that are required to draw the eye candy.

/EOR

:cool:

Afterthought, has anyone done any benching on an ATI X1900 series card? It appears to me that the more pixel shaders you have, the better the IQ because of the added horsepower to this. Who knows, ATI may have just found a new friend in the industry to really show what the architecture is really made of with all those 48 pixel pipelines.

covertclocker said:
I dunno about that, the ONLY differences between OEM and Retail are the bundles and the warranty. People dont buy retail AMD processors because they alone overclock much better than OEM. People buy retail if they want a fan and a warranty. Overclockers will be using aftermarket cooling as a whole and do not care about warranties because they are voiding it the first chance they get. So your point is not a good one at all.
I think you are missing the point of what I said. I was relating the PPU cards and bundles with VIDEO cards and bundles, not CPUs. What I'm saying is that with video cards, the bundles don't matter so much anymore because there is aleady so much content out there to use it with, but with the PPU, if there IS a good bundle with the RETAIL it may make all the difference in the world for the card's outlook since there isn't much content out for it right now.

covertclocker said:
I also have to agree with Codex. If you have a new tool that you are unsure of the potential, it will take time to become comfortable with it. I honestly think that with time, we will see better and better implementations of the PhysX card. I say give the developers more time, and who knows, we may see some patches and bonus packs to fix and improve on. I don't see the justification for getting all in a bunch about it. Give it time, let the developers and the crazy "must-have-all-new-bleeding-edge-tech" people the time to find and fix bugs and complaints and things will get better with each passing revision.
Agreed. As I paralelled to when speaking about video game consoles. Which is why I think they need to put a good demo in with the retail kit to show us what it can someday become.

covertclocker said:
It's my personal belief that the PhysX card is working properly, but the unanticipated side effect of this is on the video card's court now. They (video driver dev's) need to optimize their drivers to offload more physic's ops to the card when it is present so that it can then focus on rendering the end result of the calculations. Physic's calculations are not going to help render an extremely polygon rich environment. You will get a more dynamic environment, but now its time for the graphics cards to adjust to the needed horsepower to render the individual pixels that are required to draw the eye candy.

/EOR
:cool:
Unless I am misinterpreting what you mean, this doesn't really apply. The video card is not doing any of the physics rendering calculations. It is just rendering what the CPU tells it to. It just so happens that the CPU (via the PPU) is telling it to render a lot more stuff. More efficient drivers maybe, but there is no physics overhead that needs to be rerouted here.

covertclocker said:
Afterthought, has anyone done any benching on an ATI X1900 series card? It appears to me that the more pixel shaders you have, the better the IQ because of the added horsepower to this. Who knows, ATI may have just found a new friend in the industry to really show what the architecture is really made of with all those 48 pixel pipelines.

Not 48 pixel pipelines
16 pixel pipelines with 3 ALU's per pipe

Terra...

Back