Anyone make the switch from 5800X3D to 7800X3D?

Move from 5800X3D to 7800X3D?

• Total voters
Oh, I thought this was [H]ard|Forum. My mistake! /s
Since when is buying a potentially broken product considered [H]? :ROFLMAO:

I purposely waited to buy my 4090 until the whole connector melting fiasco was figured out as well.

Not sure why you all care so much if I return my unopened product within the return period or not. I don’t want to potentially deal with unnecessary RMAs. The 7800X3D also apparently comes with a free game now so even if I rebought it tomorrow I’d get a bonus for going this route.

Since when is buying a potentially broken product considered [H]? :ROFLMAO:

I purposely waited to buy my 4090 until the whole connector melting fiasco was figured out as well.

Not sure why you all care so much if I return my unopened product within the return period or not. I don’t want to potentially deal with unnecessary RMAs. The 7800X3D also apparently comes with a free game now so even if I rebought it tomorrow I’d get a bonus for going this route.

You actually get grandfathered the free game even if you bought it a while back.

Given that you already had a 5800X3D I'm not even sure why you upgraded in the first place lol.
I want to be [H] and be on the bleeding edge. 🥲 Plus, I have money to burn but not time to waste.

But, alas, using hardware that I know ahead of time is potentially faulty isn’t [H]ard, it’s just unwise.

Yeah I would not get a Ryzen 7000 knowing what we know now either. Wait for the dust to settle since we don't even know what's going on. GN has already tweeted that they managed to make to reproduce the bugle one of their CPUs, so we will know more very soon.

Yeah I would not get a Ryzen 7000 knowing what we know now either. Wait for the dust to settle since we don't even know what's going on. GN has already tweeted that they managed to make to reproduce the bugle one of their CPUs, so we will know more very soon.
Yea it's super technical lowering the SOC voltage, avoid 7000 series at all costs.

The dust has already settled, get the latest BIOS for your mobo and make sure SoC voltage is sitting below 1.30v. Unless GN finds something that is completely different which means AMD/Asus/MSI were all wrong and I guess that isn't impossible.

Yea it's super technical lowering the SOC voltage, avoid 7000 series at all costs.

The dust has already settled, get the latest BIOS for your mobo and make sure SoC voltage is sitting below 1.30v. Unless GN finds something that is completely different which means AMD/Asus/MSI were all wrong and I guess that isn't impossible.
1682735149750.png

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1652098996188377093?s=20

Still waiting on that GN video...you know, if this problem was so bad that they even managed to make a motherboard "self immolate", then why haven't they told us what AM5 owners should be doing right now? If it's not as simple as disabling EXPO then they should be telling us what we need to do in order to prevent our motherboards from doing the same. Should we not even touch our PCs if it's got AM5 in it? What settings do we need to change to make sure everything runs safely? The fact that they are just telling us "Keep an eye out for our video!" and nothing more kinda signals to me that the problem isn't all that serious. Because if it was then a simple "In the mean time, AM5 owners should do ______" would have been nice.

Still waiting on that GN video...you know, if this problem was so bad that they even managed to make a motherboard "self immolate", then why haven't they told us what AM5 owners should be doing right now? If it's not as simple as disabling EXPO then they should be telling us what we need to do in order to prevent our motherboards from doing the same. Should we not even touch our PCs if it's got AM5 in it? What settings do we need to change to make sure everything runs safely? The fact that they are just telling us "Keep an eye out for our video!" and nothing more kinda signals to me that the problem isn't all that serious. Because if it was then a simple "In the mean time, AM5 owners should do ______" would have been nice.
Gotta build up the HYPE!

I will wait for the video that will summarize the GN video. That dude has no regard for people’s time or repetition in English language.

I remember when I jumped on the Sandy Bridge launch and then they had the SATA degradation issues. I RMAd all that stuff and rebought after the fix. Hopefully this all leads to a recall and the consumer doesn't have to be left with a conundrum and insecurity about the future. It's the right thing to do.

Sadly I don't trust AMD to do that, but I don't know if it's necessary either. Let's see what GN says.

I will wait for the video that will summarize the GN video. That dude has no regard for people’s time or repetition in English language.
Steve does great work, but I tend to agree that it is tough to watch straight through.

I find I like Jay...he clowns around enough to keep it lighter. Steve and Tim at HUB are pretty good.

I ended up watching it. AMD is releasing new firmware soon. However, given its AMD I will wait for the firmware that fixes this firmware before I consider the platform. I really wanted to move to 7800X3D given all the CPU bottleneck at 4K comments recently. However, this fiasco and Jedi Survivor performance has not given me reason to upgrade for now.

Will keep watching. If Intel really comes out with something new in August this year, I might indulge in that platform. For now the 5800X3D is pumping games fine. Most games at 1440P lately have been hitting around 200+ fps for me (RE4 Remake, Hogwarts Legacy, MW2 MP) and most games at 4K also are doing well around 90-120 fps (Jedi Survivor) or even over (BF2042, FH5, MW2 at around 160-180 fps).

I ended up watching it. AMD is releasing new firmware soon. However, given its AMD I will wait for the firmware that fixes this firmware before I consider the platform. I really wanted to move to 7800X3D given all the CPU bottleneck at 4K comments recently. However, this fiasco and Jedi Survivor performance has not given me reason to upgrade for now.

Will keep watching. If Intel really comes out with something new in August this year, I might indulge in that platform. For now the 5800X3D is pumping games fine. Most games at 1440P lately have been hitting around 200+ fps for me (RE4 Remake, Hogwarts Legacy, MW2 MP) and most games at 4K also are doing well around 90-120 fps (Jedi Survivor) or even over (BF2042, FH5, MW2 at around 160-180 fps).
Smart idea and same thing I’m doing. Enjoy the peace of mind while AMD and motherboard manufacturers work through the fixes. I’ll revisit the 7800X3D upgrade in 3 months. By then everything should hopefully be fully ironed out. Until then the 5800X3D is still a beast!

Last edited:
Got that itch again. Prices also down a little bit (about 100 bucks combined for me since I am outside US). About 875 vs. 1000 (post taxes) for a tomahawk x670e, 7800x3d and 32 gigs of CL30 6000.

Got that itch again. Prices also down a little bit (about 100 bucks combined for me since I am outside US). About 875 vs. 1000 (post taxes) for a tomahawk x670e, 7800x3d and 32 gigs of CL30 6000.

Depends on what you play. I plan to sink a ton of hours into FFXIV Dawntrail once it comes out and I just logged into the game again after the free trial was announced. Yes it is literally a 10 year old MMO but the thing about this game is that it can be EXTREMELY taxing on the CPU when you go into the most crowdedass areas. My 5800X was able to get around 70-80fps in the most crowded area which isn't too shabby, but my 7800X3D? Over 120fps in the same zone lol. We're talking like 50% performance uplift in the most CPU taxing areas which is just huge. Definitely going to enjoy the hell out of the new expansion on my 7800X3D when it lands. But to be fair, if I had a 5800X3D and not a 5800X then the jump wouldn't have been as big.

after a few months of swapping bw the 5800x3d and 7800x3d, I can say the 7800x3d system has a general better feel to it (this is from couch gaming sf6 back and forth)

The 5800x3d system doesn't do well with dynamic shader loading with sf6. There are noticeable stutters through menu screens and loading screens.

The 7800x3d system default is set to dynamic and I didn't even know this setting existed until I had first fired up sf6 on my 5800x3d system.

So internally, the dd5 and internal latency of the 7800x3d system is better and noticable in a lot of general use situations, it does feel snappier overall. Performance wise, you've seen the benchmarks all over, it's not that much of a gain therefore I would not recommend upgrading from a 5800x3d to 7800x3d just for a "snappier" experience. The 7800x3d does uncork a 4090 better, this shows on consistently better 1% lows which leads to a smoother experience improvement.

after a few months of swapping bw the 5800x3d and 7800x3d, I can say the 7800x3d system has a general better feel to it (this is from couch gaming sf6 back and forth)

The 5800x3d system doesn't do well with dynamic shader loading with sf6. There are noticeable stutters through menu screens and loading screens.

The 7800x3d system default is set to dynamic and I didn't even know this setting existed until I had first fired up sf6 on my 5800x3d system.

So internally, the dd5 and internal latency of the 7800x3d system is better and noticable in a lot of general use situations, it does feel snappier overall. Performance wise, you've seen the benchmarks all over, it's not that much of a gain therefore I would not recommend upgrading from a 5800x3d to 7800x3d just for a "snappier" experience. The 7800x3d does uncork a 4090 better, this shows on consistently better 1% lows which leads to a smoother experience improvement.

I wouldn't recommend upgrading from a 5800X3D either. From the non v cache 5800X though the difference in Baldur's Gate 3 Act 3 and now Starfield is absolutely massive. I have a few friends who are still on Zen 3 (5900x and 5950x) who won't upgrade to a 5800X3D because of the drop in core count and won't shell out for a 7800X3D platform. Now they are complaining about low fps and stutters in BG3 and Starfield while my 7800X3D has been crushing it in those 2 games lol.

On Starfield apparently the Intel 13900K runs much faster than a 7800X3D. I was about to pull the trigger on a 7800X3D but then decided I will wait it out for the 14900K or something prior to buying anything right now.

Yea Starfield is hammering the threads. It might even scale with more cores than the 13900k has, nobody tested that yet I think. It's a good 30% faster than 7800 X3D, with trash ram and stock clocks. That's a lot.

And in BG3 the 7800X3D is faster than the 13900k. They trade blows depending on the game. Hell even the 5800X3D can beat the 13900k in that game so that's a downgrade lol. If you would make a purchasing decision based off the performance in a single game that's fine if you are planning to sink hundreds or possibly even thousands of hours into that one game. For me though I play a wide variety of games and in addition to that I care about having an actual upgrade path later down the road to an 8800X3D or even 9800X3D as opposed to being on a dead end platform. And with the cherry on top being that the 7800X3D literally only pulls 35 watts during gaming, it's still the no brainer choice for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902_112448_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_112448_Chrome.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Fair enough. So you are saying I should just pull the trigger on that 7800X3D.

I mean again it's going to highly depend on what you play so I can't answer that for you. I believe you mentioned before that in the games you do play, the performance gain was rather low. If that's the case I say you would be better off just waiting for Zen 5 X3D before building any new platform at all since neither the 13900K nor 7800X3D would be worthwhile upgrades for you. It would also line up pretty well with the launch of the RTX 5090 if both come out in early 2025.

I've posted this elsewhere, too, but decided to make the switch from a 5950X to a 7800X3D. Not quite the same thing as what this topic is asking, but I will share my thoughts on it. I wouldn't have done it if I didn't get a good deal on a board that wasn't a sidegrade to my old X570S MPG Carbon from MSI.

My costs came out to this:
PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $369.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $45.00)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X670E CARBON WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (Purchased For $199.99)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (Purchased For $110.00)
Total: $723.99 (+ $20 for 2 year replacement plan on the motherboard from MC)

The cooler wasn't needed, but the cooler for my 5950X was far overkill for the 7800X3D, so I decided to pick this one up as a quick fix.

As for impressions: I'm extremely satisfied with this. I view this as honestly one of the most impactful purchases I have made in recent times. I used to deal with all sorts of random microstutters (or even nanostutters as it didn't seem like other people noticed them) in games, at various FPS levels, across various CPU (and GPU) generations. Now, while keeping the same GPU (3080 Ti) and the exact same Windows 10 installation (so exact same processes running in BG), my FPS in every game at 3440x1440p has gone up a fair share. While that's surprising for a CPU purchase, the most surprising thing is the smoothness. The smoothness has gone up by levels that the FPS number cannot possibly represent. I wouldn't say all stutters are gone entirely, but they've become relatively infinitesimal. I might actually go out and buy a 4090 sometime soon, because with this platform it will be worth it. Another thing is that the motherboard seems like a straight upgrade to my X570S MPG Carbon because it loses (or seems to lose) much less while I'm populating all of the NVME slots, so that's nice.

From all of the reviews I have seen, the 5800X3D to 7800X3D is actually a really big jump in quite a few games, too, so I would say that it might be worth the plunge even for older gen X3Ders. The unfortunate thing is the normal AM5 board prices...

The elephant in the room is the recent example of Starfield and its dependence on both RAM bandwidth and perhaps clock speed... but I'm not sure if I would be too worried. Investing in AM5 is investing in a platform that AMD is going to keep around for possibly 4-5 years. AMD and Intel are going to keep trading blows over the years, I'm sure. I can get a new CPU at any point if I feel like it. My only concern is if newer AM5 motherboards will be required in order to leverage some of the newer CPUs that will come out... ie if they fix/improve the Infinity Fabric limitations... but hopefully this won't be the case. I'm looking forward to using this PCIE5 motherboard for a long time. Does anyone know if the Fabric stuff is solely a CPU construct (ie motherboard independent)?

Stole your upgrade is a bit similar to my move from 5900X to 5800X3D.

Thanks for the detailed post 👍🏻. I might have a buyer today and if that goes through I will order the new parts. I also don’t know how you got Carbon board for 199 (must be an MC thing).

I mean again it's going to highly depend on what you play so I can't answer that for you. I believe you mentioned before that in the games you do play, the performance gain was rather low. If that's the case I say you would be better off just waiting for Zen 5 X3D before building any new platform at all since neither the 13900K nor 7800X3D would be worthwhile upgrades for you. It would also line up pretty well with the launch of the RTX 5090 if both come out in early 2025.
2025 seems very far though. The itch is today. What is definitely right is that the games I am playing don’t require anything right now. Everything runs smooth as butter and at high fps. Only game in recent memory that gave me grief was Jedi Survivor but that was issue with the game and not my setup.

I did it and regret nothing. VR flight sims @5K get a good boost on the max and min fps as well as everything else gaming wise @ 1440P. Most notably general desktop usage just feels faster. Unpacking and installing software seems a lot snappier and curve optimizer is also functional via bios. Sold my 5800X3D system to a friend who was still running a 4670 to offset the cost and went with a low end board so out of pocket was like $335.00 I have had absolutely no issues with this system/platform and I'm very happy with the performance uplift for the cost.

I also don’t know how you got Carbon board for 199 (must be an MC thing).
Yep, open box and then 20$ off for pairing it with the CPU. It came without any of the in-box accessories except the wifi antenna... but yeah <50% price lol. the NVME thermal pads were all unused except one, too, which was still in top shape. The thing was just meant to be. I was having trouble deciding whether I wanted to try the AM5 platform (and an X3D CPU) due to the stupid MB costs, getting sort of stressed, and out of nowhere I just see it listed and decide to try it. Everything on it works perfectly, and it's a wonderful board, I/O wise. It's what got me go take the plunge with the 7800X3D, and I'm so glad I did now. I found the 64GB 6000 CL30 ram also listed open box, half off at $110. It posted first try, every slot I plugged stuff into worked, and it's been a great time (...startup times aside, but that's normal at 6000 speeds).

Ok this is in my cart right now. I don't need an SSD but I was like why the hell not. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-03 System.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-03 System.png
    397.3 KB · Views: 0
Ordered. I am done waiting. Anyways 14900K is going to be absurdly priced plus will need a new cooler etc. making the total system cost around 1500 vs. 1000 for this one including expedited shipping etc. Plus hopefully I can throw in a new processor when it's out.

If you game a lot and love it and can afford it, go for it. Why not have the latest and greatest if you can?

I have a similar system, but I haven't gamed in at least a few weeks. I think I'm going to just do a new complete build around Arrow Lake or its successor at this rate and then make my 5800X3D rig my new secondary rig. And all that mainly just to keep my systems modernized and avoid hardware failures.

For some reason even the idea of playing a video game or building a character in a video game just gives me zero enthusiasm now...might be related to aging for me or I'm just burned out with it for now or maybe it's just a seasonal thing. I can't even watch people play video games without being bored right now lol. It's like a switch was just flipped in me. Maybe in the colder months I will want to fill the void with a game again though. I still appreciate video games as a form of art.

You guys don’t make this easy do you lol.
I am not gaming much either. Just a few rounds of SF6 most nights to relax.

Ok this is in my cart right now. I don't need an SSD but I was like why the hell not. Thoughts?
If you don't really need an SSD, couldn't you just reallocate the SSD budget into getting a slightly better motherboard, or twice the RAM?

Edit: Oh wait, you already ordered it.

Motherboard is already sufficient. I don’t need other features.
As for ram, there is no point getting high frequency ram as has been shown for AMD.

If you game a lot and love it and can afford it, go for it. Why not have the latest and greatest if you can?

Because sometimes the cost just isn't worth it? Would you spend $2000 to upgrade from a 4090 to a 4090 Ti in order to gain 5%? From a 5800X3D it doesn't seem super worth it to upgrade to a 7800X3D, but anyone who's not on that CPU or a 12900K would find it very worthwhile if they own a 4090.

Back