Anyone know if Comcast supports HTPC setups in Indy?

wtburnette

2[H]4U
So, after having my wonderful HTPC system setup and working fine in MN, I moved to Indy, thinking that since I'm getting Comcast as my provider everything should work the same. Instead, I'm realizing all over again why Comcast is one of the most hated companies in the nation.

First of all, the tech who came out to install cable knew nothing about setting up the cablecard. I got it into the Ceton card in my PC and he called the office who got it setup to get signal. It worked, but there was no on screen guide and recordings could only be done manually. They swore if I gave it a day the guide would work. The next day, when the guide didn't work, I called back, but no one knew how to get it working. Finally, I got "escalated" and the next day someone called back to say they didn't support an on screen guide. I asked why it worked fine in MN and they said it wasn't supported in my area, which I think is complete BS.

So, does anyone in the Indy area have an HTPC setup, running a ceton card or something similar, getting the on screen guide through Win7 media center? I'd love to be able to get this working and to not have to get a DVR box instead...

I haven't used a Ceton yet, but the tuners that I used in the past -- the guide data didn't come from the cable provider. You always had to have a third provide it.

In MN, it came up automagically in Win7 media center. My assumption was that it was provided by either Windows or by Comcast. The only difference, now that I think about it, is that I'm not currently hooked to the internet. I'll run a cable tonight when I get home to the cablemodem, which is on the other side of my tiny living room, to see if that addresses the problem.

Derp. Not even sure why I didn't think about that before now. Probably exhaustion from the move and new job... ;)

Derp. Not even sure why I didn't think about that before now. Probably exhaustion from the move and new job... ;)

Guide data is provided by Microsoft, Comcast wouldn't have any control over it. Your HTPC will need to remain on the internet to continue to update it.

It depends on the tech, really. I asked one tech and he said Comcast doesn't do CableCard. Another tech came a few months later to upgrade my line and I asked again and he said sure, Comcast does CableCard, let him know when I want one and he'll get it for me.

Ditto calling them about it. I talked to a representative and she said yes, but if my local Comcast office refuses to give me one, call her again and she'll take care of it for me.

It all depending on who you talk to.

Not sure what the ruckus is all about - I would imagine it has something to do with alleviating support nightmares.

Guide data is provided by Microsoft, Comcast wouldn't have any control over it. Your HTPC will need to remain on the internet to continue to update it.

No, it's provided by Tribune Media. And yes, you do need an internet connection to download the guide.

Yep, found that out last night when I connected the computer to the network, reran the TV Signal Setup and everything came up working like it should. Thank goodness. I thought I was going to have to start using a crappy Comcast box again...

Back