Anyone have pics comparing Intel Coolers? - Temps inside/advice needed

fubar569

[H]ard|Gawd
Specifically those on the C2D and C2Q processors?

I acquired a retail intel cooler with my processor purchase and it seems there are several versions depending on of course dual/quad core and perhaps between families (kentsfield, yorkfield, conroe, allendale, etc etc)

The chip i have is a Q6600 G0 revision. 2.4ghz 1066FSB Kentsfield

Coretemp also reads the VID as 1.3250...most i have seen under load reported in CPU-Z is 1.28x...i have BIOS voltage set to auto...is this normal?

what i'm getting at is it seems to be getting rather...warm...under load...
i've been reading up on all the hooplah between temp programs and how some are not accurate at all and the massive process to calibrate and calculate your actual temps...

for now i have coretemp loaded and at idle im getting 43, 37, 36, 40 across the 4 cores...no adjustments made. It reads TjMax as 100c...

the cooler i have came with no paste on it, did not have a copper base...so i used some old AS5 when i installed it. actually i installed it twice when i first thought things were a bit iffy and i think temps got a bit worse. i must not have spread the AS5 the same the 2nd time around...

under prime95 (4 threads) it will creep upto 70c and thats where i cut it off because i'd rather not risk any damage to a 12hr old rig...

payday is friday. i already have plans to immediately order the Xigmatek cooler and bolt thru kit from the egg...they also have a 10.00 MIR on it right now which is bonus for me.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Specifically those on the C2D and C2Q processors?

You want pics of stock Intel heat sinks? Just go to google images. Here's yours.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=intel heat sink Q6600&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

payday is friday. i already have plans to immediately order the Xigmatek cooler and bolt thru kit from the egg...they also have a 10.00 MIR on it right now which is bonus for me.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sounds reasonable. Also, Circuit City had the OCZ Vendetta 2 for $22.

Just tested at G0 q6600 yesterday with vid 1.325,ocz vanquisher+arctic silver 5 and got temps 65-70 then i reseated/reapplied As5 and its between 35-48ish

i do not remember a copper base on the heatsink i have installed...that would explain alot of the issues...mine looks most similar to the one on the far left...aluminum base and smaller profile. for the lower end dual core models.

i will double check to be safe, but for now i'm not overclocking and taking it easy on load til i get the correct and proper cooling on top of this chip...

Thanks! your image search pulled up far better results than mine did...thus why i posted! 10 internets to you sir!

First thing I would do is turn off the auto setting for the BIOS voltage. Set if for 1.325. I would recommend the TRUE cpu cooler.

Back