Anyone got a 7800Gt working with X.org?

Geshtar

Limp Gawd
I should have known better than to get brand spanking new hardware and try to put linux on it...but I did.....everything works fine cept my 7800GT with x.org 6.8.2-r4(gentoo) the nv driver does not work and the official nvidia driver does not yet support the 7800GT. I have seen at least one other person with a similar problem to me on the gentoo boards, no solution so far. I am just curious if anyone else has this combo working and got x.org working? I also tried a an ubuntu livedcd (which uses xfree86, i believe) and it also did not get into X successfully(though the livecd worked beautifully on my laptop). Googling has also produced no results. Seems like very few linux users have this card yet.

Thanks in advance.

If the 1.0-7676 official drivers don't support it you are out of luck until the next version is released.

I have a 7800 in the box next to me. Boots up fine with Knoppix... So, I know it works. Have you tried the "vesa" driver? Might be a decent placeholder until nvidia gets the new drivers out the door.

The latest official drivers from Nvidia definitely do work, and even now have SLI support.

The 1.0-7676 drivers? The 7800GTX is listed as supported, but the 7800GT is not.....but if others think they work, I might go give it a whirl.....

Wolf31o2 said:
The latest official drivers from Nvidia definitely do work, and even now have SLI support.

no the latest ones out right now are the 1.0-7676 (released on august 5th) and they don't have sli support. supposedly the next release (presumably 1.0-8xxx) will have SLI support (please! That would be awesome!) but as of now there are no sli linux drivers that I can find. Certainly not official ones yet.

well X is finally running, thanks for the clue that the list of supported cards is wrong. How can you make X detect monitor borders though? Right now when I maximize a window, it goes across both monitors, which is really annoying.

Back