Anyone else in to high-gamut displays for gaming?

Sycraft

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got my PA301W which has a pretty wide gamut as do most modern 30" displays. I decided to give the native gamut a try and compare it with sRGB (the PA301W does real good gamut emulation). Man, I am really, really liking the wide gamut in gaming. I really like the way it makes the games look. Perhaps it isn't "correct" but it looks quite nice.

Anyone else like extended gamuts for games?

I love my wide gamut monitors. The colors "POP." Although inaccurate, I have to say colors are more vivid. I even boost my saturation levels in CCC and then use temperature control through the EDID to make sure the reds don't run into each other.

I love my wide gamut monitors. The colors "POP." Although inaccurate, I have to say colors are more vivid. I even boost my saturation levels in CCC and then use temperature control through the EDID to make sure the reds don't run into each other.

Ouch, that makes me cringe :)

I enjoyed gaming on my U2410 while I had it (recent revision with terrible tint). The colors do really pop. However, I think that you get a very similar effect by pumping up the colors with something like SweetFX on a typical RGB monitor. It works well because it alters directx shaders.

As opposed to movies or the web, video games do not follow any standard (such as sRGB).

I just got my PA301W which has a pretty wide gamut as do most modern 30" displays. I decided to give the native gamut a try and compare it with sRGB (the PA301W does real good gamut emulation). Man, I am really, really liking the wide gamut in gaming. I really like the way it makes the games look. Perhaps it isn't "correct" but it looks quite nice.

Anyone else like extended gamuts for games?

WOW thats a nice monitor wish I could afford an NEC, I bought an HPZR30W and like it alot. From what I hear the NEC's have far less anti glare coating than dell and hp.
Mine is a 10bit panel colors are extraordinary, takes some getting used to but after a week I am really loving my panel, gaming is fantastic, best purchase for my upgraded system.

Congrats on your new panel, give it time and patiently adjust to your likings, if NEC provided a color profile to install I recommend that you install it and then in windows advanced monitor properties make sure your monitor is set as the default profile.

All wide gamut IPS use the same grainy coating except for the new Dell U2x13H monitors and the new LG 27EA83.

I'd rather enjoy content creators work for what it is and not falsify the colors. Right now I have a U2713H, even when calibrated colors can look quite weird, especially skin tones (dat sun burn/tan). If I wanted over saturated colors I would crank the digital vibrancy in the Nvidia Control panel or use Samsung's magic color modes.

All wide gamut IPS use the same grainy coating except for the new Dell U2x13H monitors and the new LG 27EA83.

I'd rather enjoy content creators work for what it is and not falsify the colors. Right now I have a U2713H, even when calibrated colors can look quite weird, especially skin tones (dat sun burn/tan). If I wanted over saturated colors I would crank the digital vibrancy in the Nvidia Control panel or use Samsung's magic color modes.

wide gamut monitors off you more colors, with proper calibration there is simply no comparison.
as for the AG coating, proper calibration and the use of a light in your room also negates the AG effect which if far better than the horrid reflections you get from a glossy panel.

Back