Anyone else get ripped off by Rang?

FaRKle0079

2[H]4U
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone else here got ripped off by Rang. I know we had a brief discussion about this in one of his for sale threads before he got banned for adblocking. I recently confronted him via email asking him to send me a picture of the his shipping receipts and ever since he's gone silent. This leads me to believe he never did ship the items in the first place and was just stalling me.

I'm going to be calling his local PD and claiming mail fraud. Anyone else have any other grievances with him that I should report too?

For the record:
Rang and I had an agreement to trade graphics cards. I traded him my two 5850s for his XFX 5870 + cash. He had all positive heatware feedback and had enough time on this forum that I thought he would be a respectable trader. Also previous heatware feedbacks from members on [H] said he was good to go and professional. I sent him my package immediately and he received it in two business days. According to him, he didn't even ship my package to me until after he received my goods. I feel this was bad taste as we arranged to ship as soon as possible to each other. It's been over a week now, and I still haven't received my graphics card and I still can't use my main computer.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be pissed / worried but over a week he might not be robbing you, just giving shit service.

I'm not saying this is acceptable by any means but I'd wait a few more days before I involved police etc.

Regardless it's a heads up for anyone else to take more caution. I'm sure this is going to be coming from someone else in about 30 seconds (or while I write this) but did you get:

Phone (land)
Paypal verified address etc?

I take risks sometimes it just depends how I'm feeling but if it's something I can't afford to lose I'm a little paranoid.

I hope it resolves it's self though and good luck with it.

Nothing went through paypal since it was a trade. No phone numbers were exchagned, although I do have his shipping address though.

I did send him an email stating I would contact LE agency's if I didn't get a reply and the requested information.

As I said in a thread before, he messaged me wanting to trade that same XFX 5870 to me for my side PC. As we exchanged info, he went dark after getting my address. Couldn't get a word out of him and I was all ready to ship. This, plus yours and others stories tell me he's certainly a possibly good trader gone bad, avoid.

He got banned? I'm local to him and he was going to buy my Corsair 800D but sorta disappeared on me... I didn't realize he got banned though.

I checked my PM's and didn't have any contact info from him...

I didn't realize he got banned though.

I checked my PM's and didn't have any contact info from him...

Yeah, he got banned for adblocking. If you need his contact info PM me. I have his email, name, and address.

My fault for not realizing you wouldn't have paypal info. Was thinking it was card+ cash so through paypal.

Me personally I'd drive or fly to his house after another week or involve the LE. Calling the LE seems like a very reasonable first step and I'd love to see him punished, I hope you keep us in the loop.

P.S. what is adblocking? I don't want to do it on accident and get banned or something lol

Last edited:
Calling the LE seems like a very reasonable first step and I'd love to see him punished, I hope you keep us in the loop.

I work for a PD, and there's really nothing they can do due to 1) jurisdictional issues, and 2) having to prove he had the intent to scam (and convincing 12 people that he's guilty). Given that, I'm waiting for Seattle's fraud unit to call me back.

P.S. what is adblocking? I don't want to do it on accident and get banned or something lol

Adblocking is running/blocking scripts/ect that prevent [H]'s ads from appearing when you load the page. This hurts [H] by preventing revanue that goes through the ads. I've never found the ads on [H] to be annoying and didn't realize how many people do it.

i dealt with him in person when he came to my house to buy my old pump. i think i may still have his number in a saved PM. lemme check.

EDIT: sorry no luck. i deleted all but the last PM from him, and that was just him giving me his heatware id. no conversation history. sorry. good luck with getting your money/cards back. :/

same problem with myself 2x 5770's traded to Rang received nothing he never sent out anything either said that he signed something from ups saying he never got them after received the items , but i have been unable to confirm that yet and its been 3 weeks since i sent them two weeks since i put in claim and a week since he said that he signed the paper saying he never received the package

have all the conversations saved as well along with multiple photos proving the cards are mine and the receipt for the sending of the items

Last edited:
When I saw his post with two 5970s along with the other stuff I knew something was iffy about it.
Selling stuff for his friend? You either have it in your possession or you don't. Bringing up the "friend" line is always iffy to me since the friend has no obligation to this forum and remains nameless in the process. For him to take two 5850 and two 5770s, he should be thrown in jail for theft.

Yup, I filed an ic3 complaint as well as filed a report with my local PD. I'm waiting on Seattle's fraud unit to call me back. This guy lives like 5 blocks away from Seattle PD too...

I might try to have some LE/MIL friends in the area do a door check if it comes to that...

what is ad block!?

It blocks ads......? Back on topic please -Oldie

Last edited by a moderator:
I was almost tricked by Rang. As I posted in the other thread we were to exchange motherboards and cpus. I had already sent my package with tracking and he said he sent his. Although his tracking never worked. Mind you it takes about 2 days to get to his place in Seattle.

I asked again for the right tracking but it seemed like he was stalling. I ended up having my package intercepted because something just didn't feel right about the guy. I'm so glad I did now. Obviously his package never came and he gave a lame excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy916
Hey, I had my package sent back to me because to be honest, I felt uneasy about not having a working tracking and my package being sent to your place. I figured I would be safe about it and pay the shipping again for my ease of mind.

I tried the tracking that you gave me again but it still doesn't work. I still have not received anything so I'm not sure what is up.

I had given the wrong tracking number to you on accident and found that out when I went to the UPS store to check on it. But since I hadn't heard anything from you and your package was sent back I had the same done to mine.

I barely made it in time to get my package back so by the time he sent his back, it wouldn't have worked since it would have already been delivered.

Apparently he is using fake names also since i asked FaRKle0079 about his info and the address was the same but the names are completely different

Update:

Gnomepatrol and I just found out Rang's been using fake aliases. He told me to ship to "James Kershaw" while he told Gnomepatrol to ship to "Sam Shreve." The shipping address is consistent though.

wow i really hope with this going we can get this person (god i have no idea if its a he/she now)

You cross shipped 600 bucks worth of stuff to a guy with 17 heat?

Anyways. sounds messed up man. Sorry to hear.

You cross shipped 600 bucks worth of stuff to a guy with 17 heat?

Yes, and 4.3 years on [H]. I've sold stuff on [H] before, but I never made a heatware account till this past year... Generally shitbags don't last 4 years on [H].

Well if you look in his post history he stopped posting in March 2006... and then started up again in Feb 2010 which is when he made that heatware and started trading again.

Last edited:
seems like that is him it is the right area and name man i really hope we can get him with all the information we are gathering

hey thanks fark for emailing me, I hope you guys get him. I was one of the original people he scammed back in 05. i found his mother and emailed her at her work. I talked with her on the phone about him and she refunded me the full amount via paypal. Good luck, I hope that info I gave you fark, helps.

hey thanks fark for emailing me, I hope you guys get him. I was one of the original people he scammed back in 05. i found his mother and emailed her at her work. I talked with her on the phone about him and she refunded me the full amount via paypal. Good luck, I hope that info I gave you fark, helps.

Thanks WIlliam! Mad props to you for still having his mother's info. She seems like a more reliable contact source.

If he was 14 at the time now he's got to be 19 or 20. What a dirtbag seriously. How are things looking with the local authorities?

What's Adsblocking? I have Ad-Block on Firefox. :confused:

I do too, got me nervous now, lol.

Since people keep asking, I'm going to address this once. Adblocking is using some kind of software to disable the advertisements (banner ads, text ads, etc) that appear on this site. If you indicate that you intentionally remove our advertisements, yes we will ban your account, and that's what happened to Rang.

This site costs money to run, and when you disable ads, you're using the forum and giving the person who pays for it zero chance to recoup their investment. I've seen a great deal of care taken to ensure that any advertisements here are very well targeted, and aren't in any way annoying. Even the recently added text ads were fine tuned to make sure they wouldn't pop-up if you randomly moused over them, but only if you intentionally hovered to see the ad. The ads here are also extremely well targeted almost all of the time, and I have personally gotten some awesome deals on stuff I was already going to buy as a result of seeing them.

So that said, if you do block the forum ads currently, I would highly encourage you to unblock them by white listing this site in whatever software you're using. If you still choose not to, I can't stop you, but if you decide to wave that fact around in our faces, you will indeed be banned.

Now that I've posted that, let's keep this thread on-topic. If you still have any questions about it, feel free to PM me directly and I'll answer them. There will be no further discussion of ad-blocking in this thread.

I think he only scammed people doing crosstrades, not actual buying/selling, because there is no paypal protection with crosstrading.

I stand corrected based on the next post, but this time around he seemed to do only crosstrading scams.

Back