Anyone deal in Aerohive?

Nate7311

2[H]4U
I got an AP320 given to me, and it seems that they are either cloud managed like Meraki or local controller managed only? Is that correct?

They are a cloud based appliance, very easy to setup and manage.

I manage 100 of them myself, and we do sell them as well.

Is there a trial or free version of the management software? Or is it effectively useless w/o a contract?

Do you have access to the current Hive manager AKA portal that the device is registered to?

Nope, the AP was given to me. I've kinda been looking for another enterprise wireless line anyway and thought I'd play with it. I'm just NOT fond of cloud managed devices, mainly due to the hefty recurring fees associated with them.

They probably won't even let you do anything with it because they are not supposed to be resold or re-purposed. I can ask though, we are a decent size partner.

I didn't like the idea of having management in the cloud but it works great and I've never had any issues with it over 5 years. They are great little devices if you ever think about changing I would look in to them more. The annuals are not that bad at all compared to other vendors with similar product offerings. They work a lot like Lego's to which makes my life simpler because when I need one I connected it in to the network I hit deploy policy and in minutes it's running, i'm sure this can be done with other products but i'm just so used to simplicity now that I'm probably a bit biased ha.

It IS possible to configure it via CLI, but it was never meant to be terrible intuitive. The AP320 is an older model but is a good unit.

Nope, the AP was given to me. I've kinda been looking for another enterprise wireless line anyway and thought I'd play with it. I'm just NOT fond of cloud managed devices, mainly due to the hefty recurring fees associated with them.

If you manage a large number of WAPs, you change your tune. Having central management is the only way you can manage a deployment of size. I manage a 1000+ WAP aerohive deployment and its quite easy. I do host our hivemanager on premises rather than in the cloud.

Centrally managed, hell ya. Cloud managed, no thanks. Internally located cloud managed, ok.

Centrally managed, hell ya. Cloud managed, no thanks. Internally located cloud managed, ok.

Because the cloud is bad and the product works exactly the same with on-premise and off-premise management.

:rolleyes:

Because the cloud is bad and the product works exactly the same with on-premise and off-premise management.

:rolleyes:

Nope just another layer that can break or be unavailable. Why would i want to expose anything to the internet that i do not have to?
If the OP is looking at a product that has the in house option it is a plus in my book, some do not.

The whole cloud managed concept is centered around recurring revenue wrapping in the cloak of convenience. My biggest issue with cloud management is right in line with Snufykat. Why expose management to the outside world if you don't have to. We all hear about data breaches on a regular basis, how long until a mischievous individual/group breaches a cloud management resource and begins to play?

I have two of these unit just sitting around doing nothing as I don't have a controller.

Nope just another layer that can break or be unavailable. Why would i want to expose anything to the internet that i do not have to?
If the OP is looking at a product that has the in house option it is a plus in my book, some do not.

You used a device that is on the internet to post to this forum right?

:D

All i am getting at is I like my Aerohive they work amazing, the support is more than I could ask for and I don't have any long wait times.

Aerohive does allow for the hivemanager to be hosted on-premises. I opted to handle my deployment this way. This also allows for me to control access to the hivemanager through my firewalls.

It's worth noting that if the hivemanager is not available, it does not affect WAP operation.

The whole cloud managed concept is centered around recurring revenue wrapping in the cloak of convenience. My biggest issue with cloud management is right in line with Snufykat. Why expose management to the outside world if you don't have to. We all hear about data breaches on a regular basis, how long until a mischievous individual/group breaches a cloud management resource and begins to play?

+1000

For some, it's a viable option. For those with the know-how, I see no reason to pay the cloud fees.

Just as an update, I was able to reset-to-factory my unit and then use a Cisco console cable to go through the initial CLI setup and get to a Web-GUI and configure standard WLAN options from there.

For those that are Aerohive VARs, Wifi1 and ETH0 are flashing between green and amber, but both function fine. Any ideas?

Ubiquiti Unifi system is hands down the best product line in the market for the price. Their UAP, UAP-LR's, and UAP-PRO's are all great products and very robust. The software is free and there are no licensing fees or support fees. Aerohive is a solid system, but costs a LOT more. Some folks look at Ubiquiti's UAP price tag and think it is junk, but that is NOT the case. We have deployed Meraki, Aerohive, Aruba, Meru, and Ubiquiti and I recommend Ubiquiti with 100% confidence. We have over 10,000 subscribers on our system spread out across the United States, centrally managed in one spot. We haven't had a single UAP radio go down or flake out on us since we have been installing them. They are plug and walk away. Your ROI on the Ubiquit system will happen 10-15 times faster than it will on any other system. I hope this helps.

sweet username, bro

Ubiquiti Unifi system is hands down the best product line in the market for the price. Their UAP, UAP-LR's, and UAP-PRO's are all great products and very robust. The software is free and there are no licensing fees or support fees. Aerohive is a solid system, but costs a LOT more. Some folks look at Ubiquiti's UAP price tag and think it is junk, but that is NOT the case. We have deployed Meraki, Aerohive, Aruba, Meru, and Ubiquiti and I recommend Ubiquiti with 100% confidence. We have over 10,000 subscribers on our system spread out across the United States, centrally managed in one spot. We haven't had a single UAP radio go down or flake out on us since we have been installing them. They are plug and walk away. Your ROI on the Ubiquit system will happen 10-15 times faster than it will on any other system. I hope this helps.

I vetted both for my environment, and the Ubiquiti just doesn't have the feature set or support to operate in an true enterprise environment. It would work well for home users or maybe some offices with simple requirements.

I vetted both for my environment, and the Ubiquiti just doesn't have the feature set or support to operate in an true enterprise environment. It would work well for home users or maybe some offices with simple requirements.

Worked great for us here.... although I'm still kinda small business. Only 12 AP's at the moment.

Back