Anybody see the current fastest system on 3DMark06?

Macci/Sampsa/Finland Phenom II OC on LN2 has the current top spot. Stumbled on it when I benchmarked my system (had to recover everything from a corrupted Vista install -_-)

http://service.futuremark.com/resultComparison.action?compareResultId=10002679&compareResultType=14

I remember the 3DMark05 thread was a cause for some excitement, so I figured I'd share.

(I only scored 11,702 but thats not bad for my setup, and I'm upgrading once the Phenom II 945 and a decent SLI board hit the market)

Why wait for SLI? If you want the best, sell your 9800GTX and pickup a GTX295 or better 3xx after the AM3 P-II 945 drops.

If Windows 7 drops with DX11 and we all will be knocking at ATI/nVidia's door again.

I definitely don't need the best. I JUST replaced a Radeon 3870x2 with this 9800GTX+ 1GB to cut energy use (by a good 70-80W under load). The 9800GTX+ is sufficient for me, I only play one game (Gears of War for Windows LIVE). I used to play Crysis Warhead (it runs really well on my system, Gamer settings @1440x900 yield between 38-47FPS), but since I pulled disaster recovery earlier this week I haven't reinstalled it. My PC is mainly for music production, games are for mental blocks :cool:

Fruity Loops, Reason, Reaktor, and Guitar Rig will REALLY like the extra CPU horsepower, which is the inspiration behind moving up to Phenom II.

How did you only score 11,702? That seems to be what i score with my e5200/9800gtx at stock. Highest i have scored has been 16,249 under xp @ 4.3Ghz with the card voltmodded, under 64 bit vista i can bearly score 15,900. Im gonna try win 7 soon and see whats up.

You should be around the 13-14k area if you have your 9800gtx clocked decently.

How did you only score 11,702? That seems to be what i score with my e5200/9800gtx at stock. Highest i have scored has been 16,249 under xp @ 4.3Ghz with the card voltmodded, under 64 bit vista i can bearly score 15,900. Im gonna try win 7 soon and see whats up.

You should be around the 13-14k area if you have your 9800gtx clocked decently.

I haven't re-OCed my machine, so thats an entirely stock score. my motherboard is the major limiting factor, this ECS K8M890M doesn't play too nicely with the Athlon X2 6400+, limiting me to a 1000 on the hypertransport (going to anything higher like 1200 or 1600 and it won't post but this is a known issue). Plus no PCIe 2.0 slot, not to mention the complete lack of overclocking features. Then again, considering the original system was a personal challenge and I broke 13k when I originally built it (I was told it was impossible to break 10k on a $500 system back then)... you tell me. I'm not doing too badly :)

To put this all into perspective, $495 gave me a system that when I first 3DMark06'ed it put me in the top 10% of all machines benchmarked. I never overclocked the Radeon 3870x2, either.

My OC on the 9800GTX+ is mild, I really don't have a need to push it. I've kept it at 776/1940/1053 and I bounce off the frame cap in Gears PC. Hell, I was bouncing off the frame cap at stock clocks, I just OCed it a little bit to keep it perfectly smooth.

yeah theres a youtube video of them ocing the phenom II with liquid helium to oc it. the cards i think were left stock.

Haha yea, i remember breaking 11k on my 3800x2 939 system.

I say get a new board and overclock that puppy, If you find yourself needing more, an upgrade to phenom 2 would fix it, I really do not see a worthy cause for upgrading just to benefit from DDR3. Im just gonna stick a Q9650 when the time is right under water and call it a day.

Yea i like my 9800GTX 512mb as well, its more than enough for my gaming needs and as you can see, it can do some decent clocks. I upgraded to a GTX 260 and just found that it was just an overkill for my 1680 res gaming and went back to the 9800gtx after rmaing the 260.

Your rig looks fine and has potential, well atleast in my eyes :cool:

Oh it totally does have potential to keep going. I just want to make a big step up so that I can feel time-proof for a bit, I mean clock for clock the new phenom IIs MUCH faster than my current chip (theyre about 10% faster than the phenoms clock for clock, which were in turn about 10% faster than the windsors clock for clock) and another 2 cores says I *might* have a machine that can keep up with my retarded multi-tasking (running Acid to lay out the music that is being synthed/recorded in Fruity Loops with Guitar Rig running as a plugin is a lil too much for my system at the moment). I, unlike most people, constantly peg my processor cores without even opening a game or F@H.

Also, I've been wanting to have a dedicated MAME box so I can build a cab. It's not like I'm gonna let these older parts go to waste :)

If you want to stick with AMD grab an AM3 board, a PhII 720 BE, and a TRUE and go to town. Athlons and original Phenoms can't really keep up anymore with Intel's offerings.

Been thinking of building a MAME cab with my s939 4400+ when I upgrade my rig next week. Roommate has a descent 32" RCA tv that would probably work pretty good unless I can find a cheap old cab around town to gut.

*Edit - Also want AM3 SLI board with DDR3, as it is I'm looking to grab:

Phenom 2 720
ASUS M3N-HT
Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR2 1066

Also throwing in a WD 640gb Black, not too bad for a $477 upgrade I also need fans too so I figure $520 will be nice and worth it. New parts would be nice as my 4400+ is feelin pretty slow lately. I figure that the DDR3 SLI boards will be pretty pricey when they launch. I'm just impatient enough at this point to wait on DDR3 till late summer to jump on it.

a lil off topic, but just for the hell of it would I be able to run 3dmark06 on a 4850e+780g system or no?

Back