Anybody mind pasting the boot.ini file for xp prof for me?

Demonfire

Weaksauce
I destroyed a switch in mine and i need to look at a copy of somebodies to fix it. Just copy/paste it.

Thanks!

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

ignore spurious spaces (I think you know which they are)

Does anybody have one where there is a /KERNEL= switch

Its probably on ones with the cracked uxtheme.dll windows versions

EDIT: im using corp edition.

Here is one I found on the web:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Windows XP" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Windows XP Bootlogo" /fastdetect /KERNEL=NTOSBOOT.EXE

Ok, Heres the problem:

I deleted the /KERNEL= switch in the boot.ini for my xp prof install and now it wont run.

Does anybody know what the /KERNEL= switch does and how i can find out what the switch for it was (what files it refers to)?

Unfortuantly, I forgot the switch, but i know it has something to do with the kernel :D

Ill post the boot.ini later when i can slave my drive on another computer that works.

Thanks!

BTW: can a mod change the thread title to: "Anybody familiar with boot switches in XP?"

The ntosboot.exe is self-explanatory-- NT Operating System Boot. It has something to do with your boot up screen perhaps. You should not delete it if you have your own custom OS boot up screen loader. If you didn't, then I wonder why it's even there. Here's what you can do. Get your Windows XP CD and use the Recovery Console. Type in bootcfg /rebuild and it will fix your boot.ini to make it bootable again. Check to see if the same line is there afterwards. It must've been something in your C:\Windows\System32\ folder, more specifically the ntosboot.exe file.

-J.

GeForceX said:
The ntosboot.exe is self-explanatory-- NT Operating System Boot. It has something to do with your boot up screen perhaps. You should not delete it if you have your own custom OS boot up screen loader. If you didn't, then I wonder why it's even there. Here's what you can do. Get your Windows XP CD and use the Recovery Console. Type in bootcfg /rebuild and it will fix your boot.ini to make it bootable again. Check to see if the same line is there afterwards. It must've been something in your C:\Windows\System32\ folder, more specifically the ntosboot.exe file.

-J.

Thanks, now i just need to re-burn the xp prof cd from the iso

Edit: Yea, you were right. It was modified because of a boot screen modifying program. Now ill finnaly be able to install sp2!

ok, I did the rebuild command in the console and it gave me these weird options that i didnt know what they ment. I just skipped them and went on, but it still isnt fixed!

Back