Anybody here have any experience with the WaveMaster Case from Coolermaster?

tesfaye

2[H]4U
I really want to get this case but I need to know how this thing performs with over clocked hardware inside of it. My current case has a side window intake fan which makes a huge difference in terms of case temps. I see that it has two front fans (which I would swap out for better ones) but its blocked by the front panel. That would have to affect air flow somehow. I really want this case. I guess I could always order a custom side panel with a hole for an intake fan. It's really important that this case have excellent airflow and for $150 it had better. HELP! :D

Thanks,
Tesfaye

I just got that case from essencompu.com last week.
well built and solid.

but you ar right about the cooling..the front fans suck air from the front, through SMALL holes and also through some big openings, btu the openings just let the front suck air from inside the case...kinda recirculates the case air.

all the fans are quiet though, they do push a good amount of air..

I still run overclocked, 2.4C @ 272fsb on 1.575v, 5:4, 2-3-3-7 @ 2.8v

I was hitting 62'c before...now I hit 71'c (on an IC7...the readings are around 5-8'c higher than actual temps)

I plan to add a 120mm fan @ 7v on the lower side, rear corner..

but Im not sure if I will reverse the rear fan to suck air in, then have the 120mm blow out of the case, or have it suck air in and leave the rear to blow out....

I like the case though..

I just got one a week ago. I love the case, but it does run hot. (Although not nearly as hot as dbwillis). I have a 2.4C running at 3.25 @ default voltage, with default heatsink. I am reading about 45C-46C full load processor (2 instances of folding), and about 40C system temp. I put a fan up top, and I run all the fans (incl. power supply fan) at 5 or 7 volts, so I guess I can't complain too much.

I had this particular processor up to 3.5 in my old case (at a processor temp of 41C and motherboard temp was 31-33C). I believe the cooling problem lies on the intake side, just need to find a better way to get air into the case. I hate to hack this case up though, it looks so good.

posted in another thread...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=713105

Originally posted by Icewindius
Not bad cases, but the intake for the Wavemaster is total ass. The small airholes greatly inhibit the fans ability to draw air from the outside in. Without modding it, I sure wouldn't place my components in that thing.
this is true. just tested this... my cpu temp 37c idle with side panel off, side panel back on... 7 mins later 44c, side panel back off... 3 mins later back at 37c. this wouldnt be so bad if i watercooled but im currently not, so i leave side panel off until then. i also changed the 2 stock intake fans and the 1 exhaust fan to coolermasters own LEDs fans. let me tell you, changing the 2 intake fans was a b*tch. i emailed coolermaster asking how to do it and i never got a reply back. i can see why, i would have had a hard time telling anyone how to do it.

this case was an upgrade from my last case, an all acrylic case. which was a pain to work on my computer with. this wavemaster is the best looking case ive seen, easy computer component access, some moderate airflow issues but overall one of the best cases available in my opinion.

edit: some more info...

room temp: 23c
vcore: 1.9v
hsf: slk900a w/92mm tornado (tested at 3000 rpm (my lowest setting))

I also run 2x250gb Sata drives in RAID.. 1xDVDRW and 1xDVDRom...Im sure that helps add heat..

I was thinking of maybe putting some 2 inch round holes on the bottom of the case, near the front....it should suck some air in from there...its got nice feet to keep it off the floor a bit

Thanks for the reply's guys, for some reason I could not get into the forums from work. ANYWAY, I'm surprised non of the reviews that I've read so far mention anything about temps or airflow. I guess I'll have to find that link I was reading the other day for a site that sold these cases with all sorts of mod options. I wil have to go for the side panel blow hole mod and get rid of the top ports to put a fan in that spot for exhaust. My current enermax case has a front intake blocked by the plastic front panel, a side window mounted intake fan at about 50 cfm temp controlled, and two 30 cfm rear exhaust fans and a blow hole at the top but no fan installed currently. my case temps are around 20-35c depending on the room temp. My cpu temp doesnt get above 50c and thats at 2v on an overclocked Barton 2500+. It's a must that I get good intake airflow into the case or my comp WILL lock up at FSB speeds above 400mhz. I could get away with those temps you guys have but I would have to go back to 400mhz fsb from 440mhz and drop the cpu to 2.3ghz instead of 2.4something ghz. Again, thanks for those numbers, I'll go searching for that site and place an order so hopefully I can get it by the end of next week. One toy at a time, I got a Dell 2001FP on order for this friday (next day shipping).

Tesfaye

picked up another one of these cases this AM..maybe Ill mod it...

Originally posted by dbwillis
I just got that case from essencompu.com last week.
well built and solid.

but you ar right about the cooling..the front fans suck air from the front, through SMALL holes and also through some big openings, btu the openings just let the front suck air from inside the case...kinda recirculates the case air.

all the fans are quiet though, they do push a good amount of air..

I still run overclocked, 2.4C @ 272fsb on 1.575v, 5:4, 2-3-3-7 @ 2.8v

I was hitting 62'c before...now I hit 71'c (on an IC7...the readings are around 5-8'c higher than actual temps)

I plan to add a 120mm fan @ 7v on the lower side, rear corner..

but Im not sure if I will reverse the rear fan to suck air in, then have the 120mm blow out of the case, or have it suck air in and leave the rear to blow out....

I like the case though..

Jesus that is fucking hot.

it is, but still passes 24hrs of Prime95 (2 instances)

it also has a 9800pro OC'd inside heating up the air as well

I got mine on tuesday and love it. Don't have a system running in it yet (waiting on my IC7-Max3 and 500w Power supply from newegg and SP-94 from SVC) but the looks are excellent.

I already plan to add a side window and 120mm blow hole by the expansion cards to help with air intake, and I may see about improving airflow into the case from the front. Anyone have any idea how the front of the case comes off? I see all the allen head screws, a couple came out but others I tried did not, the allen wrench I was using just spun inside, are they different sized?

Overall great case and a great performer too with just a few mods.

-Matt :cool:

Originally posted by Da Fan Man

Anyone have any idea how the front of the case comes off? I see all the allen head screws, a couple came out but others I tried did not, the allen wrench I was using just spun inside, are they different sized?

i had to take it off myself to switch the two intake fans to coolermasters own led fans. it comes off with only 4 screws. 2 screws on the very bottom of the bezel (only screws on the bottom), and two on the inside at the middle of the bezel. youll have to pay attention when you put it back together to line up the door pivit points and all that, just so you have to do it repeatedly. the only thing i had problems with removing the bezel was figureing which screws to take off.

good luck with it.

Back