Anybody else?

Rauelius

2[H]4U
Kind of a first world problem, but next week the Radeon 7870 comes out. Pretty close to that the iPadHD(or however you want to refer to it).The original iPad seemed like nothing more than a big iPhone/iPod, the iPad2 less so, but it still had that aura about it. The iPadHD's retina display, to me, give it that extra omph for me to consider it a real tablet.(I'm not a fan of the "my first operating system" OS, but it does have some awesome games!) I'm really interested in the iPad as I have a crap ton of apps from my iPhone3G and iPod 4 that are barely running on them anymore.Many of my Android games were brought to life when I got my G2x and Prime, from my Nexus One and Novo7(pretty good Chinese tablet), and I'd imagine the same going to the iPadHD. My Novo7 died, and I've been aching for a second Tablet.

However, my 5850's are starting to show their age (I hate to admit it) I can't max absolutely everything out anymore, and am seriously considering doing eyefinity. They offer a boatload more performance (some reviews showed it approaching or surpasing the 7950) and, while I feel they are overpriced, offer fantastic value compared to cards in either its price or performance range. If I get a pair I would move the 5850's to another system and give my friend the pair of 4870's from that system (poor guy, still using a 4650 on a Crossfire-capable board with a Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz).

So, both will cost about the same ($600 vs $700), and I really don't need either, but I have some play money and like shiny new things. So which one is more awesomer? BTW I LOVE the Prime, I consider it a real tablet, but I don't want to be totally bias, and while I really like the iPod4, I don't think its the same as the iPad. I like being objective when it comes to tech, so I like checking out both sides (ie my equal appreciation for both AMD and nVidia). I would like to get more time with an iPad so I can get a fair assessment when I talk to people about tech.

But if I where to go with the 7870's I get to surprise a buddy of mine...

I'd appreciate opinions.

Well, which one will give you the most use?

I'll always upgrade my computer first because I'll honestly get my money out of what I put in to it. I really would like to pick up one of the new ipads too (I have yet to buy a tablet) but I think of how much I'll actually use it (my kids would probably end up using it more honestly). I'm still annoyed they aren't allowing for expandable memory, it's dirt dirt cheap right now and they should either let us expand it or give us more for our money. 16gb really isn't much on a tablet now.

Something to consider is that speculatively GPU prices are more likely to go down as supply picks up later on this year. Whereas I don't think the ipad (or tablets in general) are likely to decrease until a new model replaces it.

Performance/price to me so far has been lackluster this generation unless Kepler does happen to impact this. Assuming you place equal value and use between the two I personally find the "technology" jump more interesting with tablets than GPUs so far this generation.

So far so good, you guys got me taking other perspectives on this. Dextar, I thought the same thing with tablets, and this may be an individual thing, but I found my first tablet (the Novo7 Advanced) so useful I had to get a better one. I've been using my PC less and less for casual surfing and using the Prime much more. I can imagine the electricity I'm saving. An Android tablet especially, I can access network shares and stream my movie or music collection straight from my server. I can send torrents to my server from my couch. I can remote into my server to make changes. It's pretty cool, and with the Prime being able to play Skyrim, not to mention the awesome games it's a pretty awesome tablet. The iPad is more of a toy for me, a toy with some nice games.

Two 7870s it IS. I just got a 3D Monitor and the 5850's are choking on Deus Ex: HR in 3D. My framerate collapsed and it's like playing it on my single 8800GT in 2D.

I would guess they're referring to this. It's not so much playing it as streaming it though.

Yea, I saved money for a GPU splurge on 7900 series by just grabbing a fire sale Touchpad :D tablet doesn't see as much use as my PC does, just casual browsing on the couch or in bed and an occasional game or two, or a movie for the kid. Win win, for me anyway.

FWF:

PC full of relevant technology.

Still needz the upgradez.

I would guess they're referring to this. It's not so much playing it as streaming it though.

link doesnt work for me, but if that link is playing skyrim via splashtop, then that is not "playing skyrim." haha. unless youre streaming to work or something, why would you not just use your computer? then you can use a real monitor and real controls.

i think you made a good choice. i have not found a use for the 3 or 4 tablets ive had. sold em all. gaming is much more important. :)

That's weird, the link works fine for me in Firefox. The link is talking about something Nvidia was showing at CES 2012 where the game was being rendered on a desktop pc and streamed to a transformer prime, you are correct in assuming the tablet(laptop?) wasn't actually "playing" the game.

link doesnt work for me, but if that link is playing skyrim via splashtop, then that is not "playing skyrim." haha. unless youre streaming to work or something, why would you not just use your computer? then you can use a real monitor and real controls.

i think you made a good choice. i have not found a use for the 3 or 4 tablets ive had. sold em all. gaming is much more important. :)

Take a game like Civilization 5, it doesn't really require kb/m to play (touchscreen would be acceptable) yet is still quite demanding in terms of performance. What about monitoring your MMO as leave your PC? Just having this type of streaming technology available in home to me already opens up many useful possibilities.

Back