Any word on if AMD is developing something like Adaptive VSync

Dan UCF

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an Eyefinity setup with three 1080p monitors that runs super slow in most games on a 6950. Because of this I am looking to upgrade my graphics card and am having trouble deciding between a 670 GTX for the NVIDIA Adaptive VSync, or a 7970 for the somewhat higher FPS at higher resolution. If I knew AMD was trying to develop an adaptive VSync my choice would be much easier to make.

For running eyefinity I would be much more concerned with microstutter. I still don't feel Eyefinity/NVSurround are that great without multiple GPUs, but maybe I'm just an image quality whore. I like to use two cards, and in those scenarios, I would take NVIDIA over AMD because of microstutter controls built into the NVIDIA hardware.

If you are only going to run a single card the decision is more difficult. If you can get a good deal on a 7970 that overclocks well, that'd probably be my suggestion in your case.

There was a big thread recently on Vsync vs. Frame limiters. The consensus as far as I could tell was Vsync introduces useless input lag while doing nothing a frame-limiter doesn't already do. Frame-limiting just makes more sense IMO.

I was looking at the ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon HD 7970 3GB which has 4 displayport connectors. The three monitors I have (NEC ea231wmi) can do 83 hertz but only over displayport. The games I normally play are: Star Wars: The Old Republic, Starcraft 2, Source engine games (Half-life 2, L4D, etc), and that is pretty much it at the moment.

The consensus as far as I could tell was Vsync introduces useless input lag while doing nothing a frame-limiter doesn't already do.

You forgot that frame-limiter doesn't actually synchronize frame rate with refresh rate, so you still end up with tearing (especially on lower Hz panels).

Adaptive vsync only prevents tearing when frame rate is above refresh rate. It's almost a pointless feature for people who really want to eliminate tearing.

You forgot that frame-limiter doesn't actually synchronize frame rate with refresh rate, so you still end up with tearing (especially on lower Hz panels).

Adaptive vsync only prevents tearing when frame rate is above refresh rate. It's almost a pointless feature for people who really want to eliminate tearing.
Ahh, you just confirmed what I've experienced - I was still seeing tearing in all my games when adaptive vsync was enabled. A few weeks ago I gave up on it and went back to normal vsync/triple buffering.

Have you tried radeon pro? I believe radeon pro has adaptive vsync functionality :)

Agreed. I don't understand why they needed a seperate feature for what is basically vsync off with a framelimiter. Although I suppose it's an easy option for the general public.

Back